Disney, VR/AR, and Apple's WWDC 2023

Indy_UK

Thing is that if any company is going to change the future of technology and make things work for mass market… even if it takes years, it’s Apple

I used to hate the idea of an Apple Watch and who would ever buy one of those. How wrong was I….

Mireille

Premium Member
I just dunno why I'd spend $3500 for AR, which I just don't understand the appeal of, when I could alternate my reality with legal thc (if that were my thing) for much, much less.

Rteetz

Do you think content providers are going to spend serious money on developing for a platform which may or may not be viable?

Especially now and given past history with other types of wearables?
I think many view Apple differently. Apple doesn’t do things that often that aren’t viable. Their misses are pretty few in terms of new devices/markets. Apple was smart to have Disney on stage right off that bat. Surely some other large companies will follow.

CaptainAmerica

I used to hate the idea of an Apple Watch and who would ever buy one of those. How wrong was I….
I still hate the idea of an Apple Watch and privately ridicule them whenever I see one.

The last thing I need in a world of being always-online between my computer and my phone is to be even more perpetually-connected.

But yes, by all accounts, commercially it has been hugely successful.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I get what you’re getting at however we have yet to actually try how this feels. Will it be prefect? Probably not. I’ve already stated I won’t be a day one adopter. Version 2 or 3? Probably and with that better comfortability and displays will surely come just like they have with all devices ever made.
I guess that's what separates the Steve Jobs era innovations from his successors. Jobs was notorious for being a ruthless perfectionist. I could guarantee you that if you worked at Apple and had told Jobs that it would be be good enough at version 2 or 3 you would have been shown the door very quickly.

lazyboy97o

I guess that's what separates the Steve Jobs era innovations from his successors. Jobs was notorious for being a ruthless perfectionist. I could guarantee you that if you worked at Apple and had told Jobs that it would be be good enough at version 2 or 3 you would have been shown the door very quickly.
The guy who didn’t include 3G in the iPhone because it was good enough?

Rteetz

This device isn’t bad now. There was a reason Apple waited this long. A headset has been rumored by them for years. Since the google glasses days nearly a decade ago.

Mireille

Premium Member
I still hate the idea of an Apple Watch and privately ridicule them whenever I see one.

The last thing I need in a world of being always-online between my computer and my phone is to be even more perpetually-connected.

But yes, by all accounts, commercially it has been hugely successful.
I like my Apple Watch, but I primarily use it because I'm a runner to track my runs. The thing is... Macs, iPads, iPhones can all be used passively, sitting on the couch, at the DMV, on the toilet.... AR/VR is active and requires engagement. If it's anything like VR for me, it's a shiny new toy that will get a lot of use in the short term, lose it's luster after a while and knowing how little practical use it has and how much effort is needed to use it, then sit in a closet for months at a time and maybe dusted off for a new experience now and then. But for $3500... I dunno. I don't see it succeeding, at least not as a casual consumer product.

monothingie

Premium Member
The guy who didn’t include 3G in the iPhone because it was good enough?
That was actually done deliberately because at the time AT&T (The exclusive iPhone service provider) did not have a 3G network in place that was built out well enough to not only support iPhone but give the end user a good experience. So it was nixed.

mightynine

And it failed miserably because it wasn’t even close to accessible for not only the mass market but also the core Apple customer.

You can’t release a product which will rely on mass market adoption to be successful without making it somewhat accessible to the mass market. All of Apples other revolutionary products were at least within reach of most people on day 1. This is not.
I'm going to disagree that Apple's revolutionary products are priced to be somewhat accessible to the mass market from day 1. Going into the not-so-far past, the original iPod was released at $399, the original iPhone at $599 - both far more expensive that other products at the time (and in some ways, more limited than other cheaper options too - iPod only worked with Macs, iPhone didn't have 3G).

And going further back, Macintoshes were always more expensive that their PC counterparts.

I'm not willing to let the $3499 price dictate failure here - but I also don't think the Vision Pro is the mass market product. But Apple's gotta make some R&D money back somehow, so here we are.

CaptainAmerica

on the toilet
Hugely important, and nobody talks about it.

Why does the Nintendo Switch sell so well? Because you can play Zelda while you're poopin'.

Then you trip down two flights of stairs because you sat too long and your legs fell asleep, and your wife gives you one of those "oh you rascal" faces because she knows exactly what happened.

Trauma

Did you miss the part where you can see the walls in a lot of use cases? Or all of the technology that would be able to identify walls? This isn’t just a pure VR headset.
I did not miss it.

It was sorta a joke but you know people will find creative ways to break it.

WDWFREAK53

Here's another thought when it comes to watching TV or movies.
When streaming came around, the DVD went away. Why? Because it wasn't available with the touch of a button. You had to physically put the disc in the machine to watch it. (I'd even bet most people would sit through a movie with ads because it was "convenient" than go get the same DVD they own and watch without ads).

Now you're going to not just hit a button, but put this thing on your head, get to the app you need and then watch the film/show and change the aspect ratio to fit your view. (Mind you, all while watching alone).

Don't you think this is also why the ipad took off moreso than laptops? Just pick it up and go. No need to boot up, get into the program, etc. Home entertainment is all about convenience. Convenience outweighs experience.

Even though it goes against everything I just said, it still will be successful. Once they get these into the hands of the celebs/influencers, all of the young kids will want them and Mommy and Daddy will shell out for it. They'll make some TikToks wearing them/showing off their "money" and then it will explode. Will it get used much after purchase? Maybe...maybe not...but they will be sold.

I am still interested (although not for $3500) because I'm a techie and love this sort of thing (As mentioned a few times already, we have an Oculus and I thought it was awesome for about 20 minutes and it hasn't been used by my son or I since about a month after it was purchased). Will this be the same? Only time will tell. My biggest turnoff of the Oculus was the lack of vision when you were using it...this gets rid of that problem.

Rteetz

I still don't understand the point of an Apple watch (or similar android wrist device)
The “point” is rather simple.

A smart watch is an all encompassing device. The health benefits of an Apple Watch are worth it alone IMO. From workout tracking, heart rate, ekg, fall detection, etc. if you’re not an active person I can see why it may not be appealing to you. That said outside of health smart watches of course can store/play music to your Bluetooth devices without needing a phone nearby, you can answer calls and texts without a phone as well. Sleep tracking is big. Keeping it Disney with Apple Watch you can use it like a magicband and have you park ticket loaded on it with magicmobile.

monothingie

Premium Member
Apple's 'Vision Pro' priced too high to be innovation for the masses, says BakerAvenue's King Lip
AAPL high for the day was at 1PM Eastern right as WWDC kicked off.
It's low for the day was in the last hour of trading and finished slightly down.

Wall Street doesn't seem too excited about it.
1685996616304.png

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The “point” is rather simple.

A smart watch is an all encompassing device. The health benefits of an Apple Watch are worth it alone IMO. From workout tracking, heart rate, ekg, fall detection, etc. if you’re not an active person I can see why it may not be appealing to you. That said outside of health smart watches of course can store/play music to your Bluetooth devices without needing a phone nearby, you can answer calls and texts without a phone as well. Sleep tracking is big. Keeping it Disney with Apple Watch you can use it like a magicband and have you park ticket loaded on it with magicmobile.
Indeed. Apple Watch detected an undiagnosed heart condition in a family member of mine. Incredible device that has directly saved the lives of countless wearers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom