Disney, VR/AR, and Apple's WWDC 2023

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I’m curious about the “Pro” appendage. Apple aficionados, doesn’t that generally presuppose the higher line iteration of a product? Are we to assume a lower cost/tech “Apple Vision” (sans the “Pro” naming convention) to come later?
Yes that is the general expectation. This is very much first adopter product, with the mass market version to come later.

billem

I am not somebody who is interested in VR. I don't find any of the existing technology to be appealing in any way. That said, it is clear that many of the people commenting here did not watch the quite lengthy video introduction or explanation of the technology behind it. I don't think this thing compares to anything currently out there. I also found it noteworthy that one of its primary functions is allowing you to interact with applications on your phone, computer, or tablet. While I am still not currently interested in buying one of these, I can see some amount of appeal which I did not expect before. If it works as described, it is pretty impressive and I am slightly intrigued.

TheMaxRebo

Apples to oranges pun intended. You cannot compare starcruiser to a headset that can be used daily.

There is still a lot yet to be seen too. Todays announcement was at WWDC which is a developers conference. It’s now for the developers to take this new tech and create new things. Apple has laid the frame work. Possibilities are endless.

I think there are similarities at the price point and the segment that will be appealed by this ... and i am still not convinced this will get used daily. Still feels very gimmicky to me.

Maybe overtime that will change but struggle to see it. Still feels like just a fun "extra" that people with $ can experience - same as the Starcruiser

lazyboy97o

I’m curious about the “Pro” appendage. Apple aficionados, doesn’t that generally presuppose the higher line iteration of a product? Are we to assume a lower cost/tech “Apple Vision” (sans the “Pro” naming convention) to come later?
Generally yes, so if they followed the iPad and MacBook lines, there could one day be a lower end Apple Vision and a mid-tier Apple Vision Air.

Rteetz

I think there are similarities at the price point and the segment that will be appealed by this ... and i am still not convinced this will get used daily. Still feels very gimmicky to me.

Maybe overtime that will change but struggle to see it. Still feels like just a fun "extra" that people with $ can experience - same as the Starcruiser
To some extent it is gimmicky. There isn’t a ton developed for it yet tho. Hence why it’s not being released yet. Developers now have the opportunity to create for this product and we will see what it can do.

Ayla

It's too bad it didn't occur to people they may be able to visit the real thing in person for less than $3500 (or not much more) instead of sitting on their couch and exacerbating their ADHD.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
A whole bunch. Your point?
And it failed miserably because it wasn’t even close to accessible for not only the mass market but also the core Apple customer.

You can’t release a product which will rely on mass market adoption to be successful without making it somewhat accessible to the mass market. All of Apples other revolutionary products were at least within reach of most people on day 1. This is not.

lazyboy97o

As for the TV, this takes that viewing experience to the next level. The sports aspect is one I’m most intrigued getting 3D visuals of plays/action? Now that’s something I want.
I’m not sure watching TV and movies will really be that much next level. That feels more like the 3D TV gimmick. Yes, if you’re watching alone you’d be able to do something like simulate an IMAX screen but a lot of people aren’t watching TV alone and the effort won’t be worthwhile.

I’ve experienced short films made specifically for virtual reality that were incredibly well done but the isolation of them is something that still needs to be overcome.

Rteetz

I’m not sure watching TV and movies will really be that much next level. That feels more like the 3D TV gimmick. Yes, if you’re watching alone you’d be able to do something like simulate an IMAX screen but a lot of people aren’t watching TV alone and the effort won’t be worthwhile.

I’ve experienced short films made specifically for virtual reality that were incredibly well done but the isolation of them is something that still needs to be overcome.
For me, I watch a lot of TV alone. Movies I do like to go to theaters still for that experience but I can definitely see myself watching TV on this at home.

lazyboy97o

Don’t forget your Apple care plan. That way when you walk into the wall wearing it, they will fix it for you for the low price of $399.
Did you miss the part where you can see the walls in a lot of use cases? Or all of the technology that would be able to identify walls? This isn’t just a pure VR headset.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
To some extent it is gimmicky. There isn’t a ton developed for it yet tho. Hence why it’s not being released yet. Developers now have the opportunity to create for this product and we will see what it can do.
Do you think content providers are going to spend serious money on developing for a platform which may or may not be viable?

Especially now and given past history with other types of wearables?

Rteetz

Have you ever worn a VR headset for more than a few minutes?
I’ve never watched a movie on one no. I’ve played games and such for maybe 15-20 minutes.

I get what you’re getting at however we have yet to actually try how this feels. Will it be prefect? Probably not. I’ve already stated I won’t be a day one adopter. Version 2 or 3? Probably and with that better comfortability and displays will surely come just like they have with all devices ever made.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom