Disney, VR/AR, and Apple's WWDC 2023

Tha Realest

We got our youngest a Meta Quest 2 for Christmas and did that. I found some of the indoor rides can be a bit dark, but some of the walk through the parks I tried were absolutely insane.
I did one where the camera was on the back of the Disneyland omnibus. The guest in front of “me” was reading a guidemap of DL. As I moved my head and shifted my perspective, I SAW MORE OF THE MAP. It was mind blowing.

CaptainAmerica

Black Mirror was a cautionary series, not a how-to guide.

But now we know why Disney axed the so-called "metaverse" division (which was never really a metaverse division, but still). Easier to outsource this to Apple than do it yourself.

Brian

Call me old fashioned, but in the context of AR headsets at Disney parks, it just seems like a copout for lazy imagineering. What used to require innovative and complex solutions to make imaginary things come to life (take for example, audio animatronics) can now just be shown on a screen strapped to your face.

This isn't to diminish the innovation of these products, such as Apple Vision Pro, but in the context of real life experiences at Disney parks, it just stinks.

Last edited:

Rteetz

Black Mirror was a cautionary series, not a how-to guide.

But now we know why Disney axed the so-called "metaverse" division (which was never really a metaverse division, but still). Easier to outsource this to Apple than do it yourself.
I’m not sure this is really outsourcing but more a collaboration. This likely has been in the works for quite a while too. Those things they showed don’t just get created overnight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom