Disney, VR/AR, and Apple's WWDC 2023

Trauma

Theoretically everyone. This is the next every day use type device. While it may seem silly now. So did plenty of tech in its early stages. Apple Watch was looked at as silly. iPad, iPhone. All of it. Now will this pan to be those devices? Yet to be seen but you’ve gotta start somewhere.
You’re gonna walk around all day with this stupid thing on your head ?

You look like an idiot.

I don’t mean you, I mean the person wearing it.

Edited for clarity.

CaptainAmerica

Yeah this is a huge moment. This is the very first device in what will ultimately become the way everything will be.
Nobody wants this. It's an inferior version of something that already exists, it's 7x more expensive, and nobody wants the existing cheaper, better thing.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
It is truly amazing how completely out of touch these people all are.

And I'm a total Apple Fanboy.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Nobody. This thing is going to crash and burn.

Especially post-COVID, the last thing anybody wants to do is be sitting in their house with a $3,500 headset strapped to their face.
While this is certainly not a mass market device in it's current form, there will be plenty of people that will buy this next year. Apple isn't expecting to sell millions of these like an iPhone. Heck, if I had the money, I'd buy one.

Mireille

Premium Member
Get a refurbished Meta Quest 2 for $250 and watch VR180 ride throughs. It’ll blow your mind.
Try Google Maps VR, you can walk through all the Disney Parks. No ride content, just walkways and such, but during the pandemic it was nice to "walk" through the parks. Google Maps VR was probably my most used VR app after Half-Life: Alyx and Lone Echo I and II, and it's free!

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I think there will be plenty that want this, and there will be plenty that will pay $3500 for it. Just as the people pay that kind of price for a MacBook.
Disagree, a MacBook gives you elegant well designed functionality which is superior to other options. (Same can be said about iPhone and Apple Watch). The glasses are a toy which the rich people who buy them will quickly become bored of, once the glasses ecosystem runs dry.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
While this is certainly not a mass market device in it's current form, there will be plenty of people that will buy this next year. Apple isn't expecting to sell millions of these like an iPhone. Heck, if I had the money, I'd buy one.

Actually they're expecting to sell 900,000 units in the first year of release.

I still think this is a joke - but what do I know?

lazyboy97o

Yeah, as much as it feels like "it's different this time," I was wrong about Apple Watch and iPad when they were first introduced.
Even the iPod was significantly more expensive than other MP3 players of the time and took a few iterations before become the ubiquitous device we remember. Apple has the resources and patience to let this be a slow burn, they don’t need to sell this at iPhone volumes.

CaptainAmerica

Disagree, a MacBook gives you elegant well designed functionality which is superior to other options. (Same can be said about iPhone and Apple Watch). The glasses are a toy which the rich people who buy them will quickly become bored of, once the glasses ecosystem runs dry.
They're not even glasses. If they were glasses, they might have a chance. These things are humongous, heavy, and they're attached to a heavy gauge power cord.

dreday3

Yeah this is a huge moment. This is the very first device in what will ultimately become the way everything will be.

Like, doesn't this make you a little sad though?

If people used it while still going out and actually experiencing life, then that's great. But so many will use it as a substitute.

I'm actually glad I'm turning 50 and getting old because honestly, that kind of future is scary. Kidding, but not really. 😄

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The difference here is that Apple has an entire eco system that this wraps into. It isn't just a random toy like other attempts at this. Did you watch the keynote to see how it blends in with all the other devices? Impressive stuff, and way beyond anything else we have seen like this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom