News Disney Vacation Club announces plans for more than 350 new cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort

Figment1986

So, i wonder will they add more loops on where reflections was going to go... possibly a good spot for the "enhanced trails and recreations" too... I loved staying at the cabins when I got to. This feels like using DVC budget to update / enhance the experience on campgrounds.

cslafferty

We are going to Ft Wilderness Dec 1-11. My husband, sister, and I will be in our RV at a campsite, and we have a cabin reservation for my daughter and her family. It’s my two grandsons’ (4 and 2 yrs old) first Disney trip. I realize Disney will honor our reservation, but I don’t want them to be surrounded by construction either.

I understand the cabins need to be refurbished, but I really don’t like that every new hotel expansion is DVC. And I don’t like the idea that maybe some areas (like new pool area) might be for DVC members only. Used to be that all Disney resort guests could partake in Extra Magic Hours - now, unless you are DVC or deluxe guests, you get a whole 30 minutes in the morning! We spend a lot of money on our Disney vacations to be treated like a second class citizen.

Sorry about the rant. Just thought Ft Wilderness was safe from the “haves and have nots” garbage. Disappointing to say the least.

Disone

You and I both know they won't have anything reasonable, it goes against the current line of thinking. Maybe not CCR cabin-level, but they will be much higher per night than the treehouses.
Hummmmm. The tree houses are three bedroom two full baths and a full kitchen. I'll take a wait and see on this one.

Virtual Toad

Looking at the concept art, I'm not wild about the lack of eye-level windows. Except for the floor to ceiling windows (doors?) facing the patio, most if not all the other windows are more like skylights, placed near the ceiling. Part of the appeal of staying in the current cabins is having awesome views of the trees and natural surroundings on all sides. Except for the center on one side, the new design seems like it could feel a lot more "boxed in" and claustrophobic. Especially in the front third facing the driveway. Seems sort of like living in a shipping container.

Maybe they're going for more privacy, but without views on all sides it just isn't the same experience. The project planners should spend at least a week staying in the current cabins to get a better feel for what the location and surroundings bring to the table, as views of the surroundings are an important part of the theme and story and thus should be an integral part of the design.

raymusiccity

So, i wonder will they add more loops on where reflections was going to go... possibly a good spot for the "enhanced trails and recreations" too... I loved staying at the cabins when I got to. This feels like using DVC budget to update / enhance the experience on campgrounds.
Either way, it’s a shame to have bulldozed such a beautiful section of the campgrounds. 😢. I wouldn’t look forward to staying in a cabin exposed to the full Florida sun in August!

Indy_UK

Sorry, I’m asking because I’ve never been to fort wilderness but with this conversion to DVC cabins, is the whole resort DVC now or are there still regular hotel rooms?

RememberWhen

Sorry, I’m asking because I’ve never been to fort wilderness but with this conversion to DVC cabins, is the whole resort DVC now or are there still regular hotel rooms?
I think you might be confusing Fort Wilderness with Wilderness Lodge.

Fort Wilderness doesn’t have hotel rooms. It’s a campground. There are campsites for tents and RVs and campers plus these cabins. These cabins are not the ones by the lake at Wilderness Lodge. Those are already DVC. Wilderness Lodge has two DVC sections (Boulder Ridge and Copper Creek).

SoFloMagic

This announcement is being roasted across Disney discussion sites like a marshmallow at Chip and Dale's Campfire Sing-a-long.

(See what I did there)

Personally, I do not understand the hate. Dated cabins are being updated with eco-friendly cabins and will reside on the same footprints. There is no 10-story tower, that clashes thematically, being constructed on a beloved site. No similarly styled lodge that has light elements of its neighboring buildings, but largely looks like a generic T-building. A roofline, such as a mansard, is not the only architectural element that lends to the theming of the building.

Old cabins will be replaced with new cabins and occupancy will likely be at capacity every night.
All good. But you left out that they're calling it DVC. That's crap.

Patcheslee

These new cabins look just like what Kings Island in Cincinnati has now, here is the link: https://visitcampcedar.com/cottages/

Seems to be the waive of the future
I was just thinking of those too. We've stayed in different ones 4 times now since they opened. We looked at Fort Wilderness for June, but decided against because it seems like much more walking to get places and pool is meh for the price.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Wow! That is so strange. Wonder why? Just to put in a better TV?

Anyway hopefully they go back to a Murphy bed. But I still don’t like that the bedroom sleeps 4. And don’t you have to go through the bedroom to reach the bathroom (could be wrong about that)?

There's also a set of drawers underneath the TV, so that was an improvement. The small table & 2 chairs is gone. All that's in the living room furniture wise is the sleeper sofa, a coffee table, chair and small table.

Fido Chuckwagon

Hummmmm. The tree houses are three bedroom two full baths and a full kitchen. I'll take a wait and see on this one.
The treehouses are 2 bedroom units, not 3.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I’m sure they will be be nice inside but the concept art just looks to be a newer trailer/cabin and nothing deluxe looking but we’ll see
I'm asking this sincerely... what is particularly "deluxe" about a 1 bedroom villa at Copper Creek? I don't understand why people are all hung up on this idea that these are free-standing structures as opposed to being all stuck together in larger buildings.

Also, lol @ staying in a glorified RV at Disney for what I’m sure will be a cash rate of well north of $1,000 per night.
Just say you've never been there. They're nothing like "glorified RVs," even the old, pre-upgraded units. They're much more like large freestanding hotel rooms than they are RVs.

In case this development is the thing that sets off the fight between Disney and the CFTOB, I'm going to claim the name "Battle of Fort Wilderness" now for t-shirts and merchandise.
Is this even "development" in the sense of things the district would get involved in? Feels like they're using existing acreage for the same purpose that it's currently being used for, they're just going to brand and market the inventory differently.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I'm asking this sincerely... what is particularly "deluxe" about a 1 bedroom villa at Copper Creek? I don't understand why people are all hung up on this idea that these are free-standing structures as opposed to being all stuck together in larger buildings.
the overall resort itself. Not every DVC has everyone in a single large building but those resorts feel like deluxe resorts, not a Disney KOA campground. I think it is a nice place don’t get me wrong, just surprised they are putting dvc there as it just doesn’t have that same deluxe vibe as others. Just my opinion.

correcaminos

The treehouses are 2 bedroom units, not 3.
No, they are 3 bedrooms. 1 master with attached bath with queen size bed. A second bedroom with 1 queen. A third with bunks. Then sleep sofa & chair in living room. Sleeps 9

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom