News Disney Vacation Club announces plans for more than 350 new cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort

Touchdown

I'm asking this sincerely... what is particularly "deluxe" about a 1 bedroom villa at Copper Creek? I don't understand why people are all hung up on this idea that these are free-standing structures as opposed to being all stuck together in larger buildings.

Just say you've never been there. They're nothing like "glorified RVs," even the old, pre-upgraded units. They're much more like large freestanding hotel rooms than they are RVs.

Is this even "development" in the sense of things the district would get involved in? Feels like they're using existing acreage for the same purpose that it's currently being used for, they're just going to brand and market the inventory differently.
-There is 2 TS restaurants and 2QS restaurants on site.
-You don’t need to transfer from an internal bus line to a theme park bus or boat to get to the parks

MKeeler

New question that occurs to me - there are currently around 407 (or 409) cabins at Fort Wilderness. This is promoting 350-ish cabins. What do we think accounts for the loss of 50-ish cabins? Increased size of the new cabins? Reconfiguring the layout? Additional amenities? Just a strange difference for a quick turnaround.

Disney Analyst

New question that occurs to me - there are currently around 407 (or 409) cabins at Fort Wilderness. This is promoting 350-ish cabins. What do we think accounts for the loss of 50-ish cabins? Increased size of the new cabins? Reconfiguring the layout? Additional amenities? Just a strange difference for a quick turnaround.

I wonder if they looked at the current usage, and decided to drop the number of cabins? If the capacity isn't being used, this gives them an opportunity to downsize the maintenance needed.

pdude81

I'd assume any new resort would have it's own pool complex, and at least a pool bar where you could order food, if not another restaurant. This is speculation only, but if I'm staying DVC I don't want to have to take a bus to get a cheeseburger.

SpaceMountain77

Logistical question.

Do park model homes have a 50-year lifespan and, if so, these units would be the same from opening through 2074?
The thing I heard was specifically for Reflections.

With Aulani, the Grand Floridian, and Riviera in active sales, Disneyland Hotel soon to be on sale, and Fort Wilderness and Polynesian going on sale next year, it seems wild to think that anything would be happening on that land this decade.

lentesta

Premium Member
Logistical question.

Do park model homes have a 50-year lifespan and, if so, these units would be the same from opening through 2074?

With Aulani, the Grand Floridian, and Riviera in active sales, Disneyland Hotel soon to be on sale, and Fort Wilderness and Polynesian going on sale next year, it seems wild to think that anything would be happening on that land this decade.

I would be shocked if those were rated for 50 years. But the agreement probably allows the replacement of physical units.

SoFloMagic

I'm assuming this is sarcasm, because it certainly isn't.
Its intended with just generic shade.

I think the whole dvc thing is pretty hilarious, because somehow timeshare+pixie dust=not a timeshare? And selling points for these just seems wild.

I guess I get that people are going to want to stay there, but it seems wild to pay more for the points than the building cost...

Last edited:

tanc

It sucks to lose the cabins honestly. They were by far one of the best values at WDW and now they are absolutely going to be way more expensive. Disney has basically killed as much of classic WDW as possible, since Fort Wilderness was basically the last place. The group of imagineers sat down and thought "how can we make our money back ASAP?" and of course someone went "DVC!". That's the only reason these must be going DVC is simply Disney want their investment returned to them immediately.

Disone

Looking at the concept art, I'm not wild about the lack of eye-level windows. Except for the floor to ceiling windows (doors?) facing the patio, most if not all the other windows are more like skylights, placed near the ceiling. Part of the appeal of staying in the current cabins is having awesome views of the trees and natural surroundings on all sides. Except for the center on one side, the new design seems like it could feel a lot more "boxed in" and claustrophobic. Especially in the front third facing the driveway. Seems sort of like living in a shipping container.

Maybe they're going for more privacy, but without views on all sides it just isn't the same experience. The project planners should spend at least a week staying in the current cabins to get a better feel for what the location and surroundings bring to the table, as views of the surroundings are an important part of the theme and story and thus should be an integral part of the design.
To be fair.... I have been in the current cabins enough times that I am not sure how many times and can say this. They really provide no real view of the great outdoors. The windows are good for natural light but that's about it. They are not large, in fact they are small to ordinary in size and most have furniture in front of them except the ones in the hallway.

There is no scenario in the current cabin that you just sit and look out the window and enjoy the view. With the floor to ceiling windows of the new cabins, Maybe this will finally be a thing?

I will wait till more artist renderings before I pass final judgment. But overall I'm cautiously optimistic about the new design.

Last edited:

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Well there’s like a half dozen or so that are literally a mile from the others, so I imagine those will go.

They did specifically call out there would be new amenities coming in the TA release.

2600loop

This is what got me the most

According to DVC, “Design concepts offer a fresh take on the current cabin experience and are inspired by the resort’s idyllic setting, while also paying homage to the resort’s unique culture and heritage through the magic of Disney storytelling

So a shed with almost no windows at eye level is paying homage and is inspired by the idyllic setting.

I have seen more esthetically inspired recycling bins at fort wilderness

Disone

This is what got me the most

According to DVC, “Design concepts offer a fresh take on the current cabin experience and are inspired by the resort’s idyllic setting, while also paying homage to the resort’s unique culture and heritage through the magic of Disney storytelling

So a shed with almost no windows at eye level is paying homage and is inspired by the idyllic setting.

Thank you papio I have seen more esthetically inspired recycling bins at fort wilderness
Again no. NO! I hate this criticism because it is just not true.

The current cabins offer zero views from the inside. ZERO!!!!

Honest, There is no part of the current cabin where you can just sit and look outdoors. Every single window is either in a hallway where there is no furniture to sit and look out of, or if not in a hallway there is a piece of furniture in front of the window so you cannot stand at the window and look out of it.

But every piece of furniture that there is inside the cabin, there is no view of outside the cabin.

Vegas Disney Fan

It’s funny how two people can look at the same picture and come away with completely opposite opinions, the first thing I noticed was the entire porch wall being glass, the whole living room area looks like it’ll be open to the outside. The second thing I noticed was the bedrooms will have amazing views into the tree canopy, something I’d much rather look at from bed than the people in their bedroom next door.

The only downside I see to this is they’re making them DVC, otherwise it all looks like an upgrade to me.

MickeyLuv'r

Right? Tron isn't going to do it. GOTG didn't do it...what do they think is going to draw people in the next 5ish years? (I sure hope they run on at least a 10 year plan. DH's company has a 1, 3, 5 and 10 year plan...I'd expect Disney to be the same.)
Maybe people will choose to stay in the cabins when they visit Epic Universe?

Alas, people visiting Epic Universe will have to stay somewhere...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom