News Disney Vacation Club announces plans for more than 350 new cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Another change for the worse that no one really wanted? Looks like Reflections on the River Country site would have been the lesser of two evils. Now we get Reflections: Magical Cabin Edition(tm). Sigh.
That’s not true. Bob wanted them. 😉

Yep, spot on. DVC went from a decent idea to a virus infecting any resort it touches these days.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Another change for the worse that no one really wanted? Looks like Reflections on the River Country site would have been the lesser of two evils. Now we get Reflections: Magical Cabin Edition(tm). Sigh.
They can’t sell those rooms…

There hasn’t been enough demand for years!!

Why do you think they keep converting to dvc? Think it’s because the poly and grand are SELLING?

wilderness lodge sure as hell couldn’t…but even they can’t put 3 blocks next to each other and pretend they’re different.

So some idiot looked at the cabins at poly and wilderness and said “we can do a bunch of those cheap!”

…you gonna wait til it shows it’s a disaster…or believe me now?

Last edited:

SoFloMagic

Campsites for a tent $135 a night, deluxe RV campsite $245 ridiculous prices. KOA tent Orlando is 71 dollars/per night. 2019 tent rates at WDW were $70 I remember paying.
I mean you gotta admit that you're getting a lot at the fort for just $60 bucks over the bare bones koa... Id say both are overpriced. Koa should be $30 and disney should be 90

Virtual Toad

They can’t sell those rooms…

There hasn’t been enough demand for years!!

Why do you think they keep conveying to dvc? Think it’s because the poly and grand are SELLING?

wilderness lodge sure as hell couldn’t…but even they can’t put 3 blocks next to each other and pretend they’re different.

Some some idiot looked at the cabins at poly and wilderness and said “we can do a bunch of those cheap!”

…you gonna wait til it shows it’s a disaster…or believe me now?
For clarity, do you mean they couldn't sell the existing cabins as non-DVC units or they won't be able to sell the new DVC cabins? Or that Reflections wasn't going to sell so they're just converting the cabins to DVC because if you just have to have it this was the cheapest way?

And if that's the case, what's the point? When is too much too much?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For clarity, do you mean they couldn't sell the existing cabins as non-DVC units or they won't be able to sell the new DVC cabins? Or that Reflections wasn't going to sell so they're just converting the cabins to DVC because if you just have to have it this was the cheapest way?

And if that's the case, what's the point? When is too much too much?
For clarity: they can’t sell the “Deluxes” for anything close to what they have tried to charge for going on 20 years…

So you’ve seen an elaborate “conversion” with a few dalliances into additions and experiments here and there

Virtual Toad

For clarity: they can’t sell the “Deluxes” for anything close to what they have tried to charge for going on 20 years…

So you’ve seen an elaborate “conversion” with a few dalliances into additions and experiments here and there
Except it seems the cabins were pretty consistently booked. Perhaps not to the extent they'd like I suppose. But if they're not selling as non-DVC, and the newer DVC's aren't selling out either, what's the play? More cash up front via contracts?

Vegas Disney Fan

This seems to be the plan, price the hotels so high that DVC looks like a deal, then convert those overpriced hotel rooms into DVC so you can sell them while spending the least amount of money on them, since DVC is instant and also consistant income they always have to have points available to sell.

Sacrificing the hotels for DVC.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Except it seems the cabins were pretty consistently booked. Perhaps not to the extent they'd like I suppose. But if they're not selling as non-DVC, and the newer DVC's aren't selling out either, what's the play? More cash up front via contracts?
It’s just Iger doubling down on his “legacy” strategy before he’s shown the doors

And it’s not working anymore.
This seems to be the plan, price the hotels so high that DVC looks like a deal, then convert those overpriced hotel rooms into DVC so you can sell them while spending the least amount of money on them, since DVC is instant and also consistant income they always have to have points available to sell.

Sacrificing the hotels for DVC.

See above. It’s really no more than that.

You give them credit for cunning they do not possess. They’re just doing the same thing in the kitchen while the roof is on fire.

Dvc isn’t selling…and the economy hasn’t hit the wall yet.

Words out on the lack of “comfort” that once existed for it

BrianLo

Dvc isn’t selling…and the economy hasn’t hit the wall yet.

This is actually the best sales year DVC has had in a decade.

From DVC News for October sales

Without considering Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas, calendar year 2023 is turning out be a good year for direct sales. With two months still to go in the year, Disney has already sold more points in 2023 (2,043,173 points) than in all of 2022 (2,038,485 points). If direct sales for all resorts average about 119,000 points in November and December then Disney will record its best year for DVC salessince 2011 when 2,467,550 points were sold.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
The game is that the cabins would need to replaced soon and if Disney pays then it makes less money. Putting into DVC has 3 benefits: (1) costs shift to DVC owners, (2) bigger upfront cash infusions, as you mentioned, and (3) Disney can either (a) rent for cash rooms inventory before rooms are declared into DVC inventory and become points rooms, (b) rent for cash rooms not booked on points after DVC members don't book all rooms, as there's a point Disney can step in, and it's going to unlikely all +350 rooms are booked on points (when in points inventory), or (c) Disney gets cash for the rooms it's statutorily required to not sell to DVC members.

More revenue, fewer expenses - - > bigger Disney profits

BrianLo

Careful he doesn’t like it when people respond to his posts with facts. Next he will respond to you with a completely unrelated topic.

Ha, I know what I’ve gotten myself into but the post was more for the observers. He’s nothing if not stubborn. Sometimes we widely align and sometimes we don’t.

But I’m usually bemused and know when to not enter the realm of unbreakable opinion.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I’m curious how many of those points have been sold before. Meaning, how many were ROFR’ed or came back into Disney’s possession when the buyers financed through them and couldn’t make the payments. Not sure if that is information which would be available outside of DVD’s books.

Vegas Disney Fan

I’m curious how many of those points have been sold before. Meaning, how many were ROFR’ed or came back into Disney’s possession when the buyers financed through them and couldn’t make the payments. Not sure if that is information which would be available outside of DVD’s books.
I had a similar thought, my guess is the majority probably sold at the DL hotel DVC though, DL has so few DVC rooms they probably had a lot of demand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom