News Disney Vacation Club announces plans for more than 350 new cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort

PK2

Looks completely different to the concept art. Not even the right shape (even if this is from the opposite view than the artwork). Not sure this is it? Seems odd.

Iris

The only reason I go to Fort Wilderness is to visit the horse stables and sit on a rocking chair on the porch of Pioneer Hall. As long as I can still do that, I'm fine with the changes.

GladToBeHear

For me..... Great facility. Definitely an upgrade from what they had. I do wish they had gone with a different aesthetic.

It's more contemporary with a touch of wilderness and i wish it was more wilderness with maybe a slight touch of contemporary.
Weren't the new stables supposed to jive with the design of the cancelled DVC hotel over there?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Weren't the new stables supposed to jive with the design of the cancelled DVC hotel over there?
Given the design of the new cabins and the cancelled DVC, I don't think anything in or near the "Wilderness" area is going to be themed as olde-timey or rustic any more. Everything new will be contemporary with olde-timey touches.

Or so it seems.

castlecake2.0

Given the design of the new cabins and the cancelled DVC, I don't think anything in or near the "Wilderness" area is going to be themed as olde-timey or rustic any more. Everything new will be contemporary with olde-timey touches.

Or so it seems.
Another example of the company forgetting how to story tell. The new cabins look nice, and I’m sure will be an upgrade to the current ones, but how they fit into the over all theme of fort wilderness… 🤷‍♂️

JoeCamel

Another example of the company forgetting how to story tell. The new cabins look nice, and I’m sure will be an upgrade to the current ones, but how they fit into the over all theme of fort wilderness… 🤷‍♂️
If the theme is Gatlinburg and Dollywood it is right in theme, plenty of these boxes scattered in the hills around there... Eastern wilderness with plenty of bears

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I apologize if this has already been asked. But does anyone know if this will reduce the number of (non-cabin) campsites?
Don't believe so. I think they're utilizing the existing footprint.

Guests expect modern accommodations. You can theme everything up to the teeth but not at the expense of comfort, convenience, and cleanliness.

Disone

Or so it seems.
Unfortunately.... I agree. Disney resorts were never able to command the prices that they have been able to get people to pay because they were comparable to a Hyatt Regency, a Ritz-Carlton, Waldorf, JW or Four Seasons.

They were successful because they allowed you to stay in a bubble. An "extension of the theme park" experience where you actually could spend the night at. I believe currently Disney has lost sight of this. They've brought in a bunch of outside experience to teach them how to better manage their hotels, but in doing so they have now lost sight of what made their resorts so successful in the first place.

castlecake2.0

Don't believe so. I think they're utilizing the existing footprint.

Guests expect modern accommodations. You can theme everything up to the teeth but not at the expense of comfort, convenience, and cleanliness.
I’m all for modern accommodations, and (except for the incredibles rooms) have likes all the room remodels. Saying that, the concept art for the cabins looks great, but the outside doesn’t match the current theme of the fort. Maybe this is just part of a larger overhaul that will see other amenities switch over to this same style, but if that happens will the fort still have its charm? How will the settlement fit into the overall “story”? The new ranch looks great, but it doesn’t look like fort wilderness. I feel like the company’s weakness right now is modern design over immersing you in a time and place. Using the barn as an example, it’s a beautiful new facility and it looks like a barn, but does it look like a barn from the south east pioneer times? The new poly tower, the concept art looks like a beautiful (subjective) new modern Hawaiian hotel, but does it look like a building from the classic South Seas era? They seem to be struggling here. I want modern amenities, but if I’m staying at Disney I want commitment to the story in the public areas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom