News Disney Vacation Club announces plans for more than 350 new cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort

scottieRoss

One of the things to remember here, no matter how much we dedicated fans love the theme and placemaking of the resorts, MANY of the guests Disney is relying on to pay the bills do not.
Reviews are full of statements like:
Boardwalk-Grandma's living room. Dated. stuck in the past.
Wilderness Lodge Boulder Ridge-Room was large but dated. Needs updating. Beautiful but not my style.
Grand Floridian-Lost in time. Great at Christmas but a flagship resort should not need to be brought kicking and screaming into this century. Feels like I should find a chamber pot under the bed.
Guests want to feel nostalgia for the time and place, but not be stuck in it.
If I were to go to a mid-century-themed hotel, I want to see boomerang tables but I do not want to be forced to sit on a 1970 Danish style sofa. I want to see Googie architecture, but I do not want to stay in a room shaped like a giant donut. And I certainly do not want to have to reexperience an Avacado Green bathroom or a Harvest Gold kitchenette. I want a 2023 hotel inspired by the turn of the century Boardwalk, not be forced back to 1905.

nickys

Premium Member
Just linking to this development. Looks like the Reflections site I could be used for staging for the new cabins:

Interesting permit. I wasn't sure what this was until @MisterPenguin pointed out that the location is Fort Wilderness which I confirmed. Not much information about that contractor except that they were incorporated about a year ago. I am guessing they are some sort of holding company. Expiation date of 5/1/2025 is also interesting.

View attachment 744827

There's also 8 pages of cabin addresses attached to the notice of commencement from the link @danlb_2000 shared.

View attachment 744853

Big T 1963

Back in 1984 I went on a WDW trip with my sister and some friends who just graduated high school and we stayed in Fort Wilderness in one of the long mobile homes that were available to book in a section called Jack Rabbit Run it was 6 of us with plenty of room for all ... It was a great time.. anybody remember them

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just linking to this development. Looks like the Reflections site I could be used for staging for the new cabins:

The location on the permit is for all of Fort Wilderness, not just the Reflections site. Obviously they may use that are for staging but the permit doesn't give any indication of that.

nickys

Premium Member
... although, there was the extension of the permit for the Stolport stockpile area, maybe there a plans to use this area for staging.
Plus there has been movement of vehicles etc reported at the Reflections site over the past few weeks.

It seems like a good place to stage them, especially looking at @Doberge ‘s drawing of possible transport routes. They’re not likely going to want to have them sitting amongst the cabin loops when trying to remove the existing cabins.

Edit: should have read properly lol!

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member

PK2

Disney shared a look at the inside of the new cabins and an updated concept for the outside yesterday:

https://dvcnews.com/wdw-resorts/ft-...ook-at-interior-of-dvc-fort-wilderness-cabins

I actually don't mind the outside as much as I used to (though those big windows are a lot like Ranch Davy Crockett in Disneyland Paris and they're kind of miserable when it's raining so I don't know how that will be during stormy season), but the inside is weird and kitschy and seems poorly planned, to boot. The murphy bed returns, but the angle of the sofa to the TV looks totally off - like, how are you gonna sit on the sofa and watch anything on that TV without hurting your neck over time? And the bunk beds make a return, but it now seems laid out so all the beds are really close together, even the murphy. At least in the current ones the kitchen and bathroom separate the sets of beds which is kind of nice.

Also, I just feel like the fake/real wood panels inside and out are gonna get dirty and because they're brightly coloured it'll be obvious and nobody will do anything about it, which sucks.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Disney shared a look at the inside of the new cabins and an updated concept for the outside yesterday:

https://dvcnews.com/wdw-resorts/ft-...ook-at-interior-of-dvc-fort-wilderness-cabins

I actually don't mind the outside as much as I used to (though those big windows are a lot like Ranch Davy Crockett in Disneyland Paris and they're kind of miserable when it's raining so I don't know how that will be during stormy season), but the inside is weird and kitschy and seems poorly planned, to boot. The murphy bed returns, but the angle of the sofa to the TV looks totally off - like, how are you gonna sit on the sofa and watch anything on that TV without hurting your neck over time? And the bunk beds make a return, but it now seems laid out so all the beds are really close together, even the murphy. At least in the current ones the kitchen and bathroom separate the sets of beds which is kind of nice.

Also, I just feel like the fake/real wood panels inside and out are gonna get dirty and because they're brightly coloured it'll be obvious and nobody will do anything about it, which sucks.

Is that a curtain separating the bedroom from the living room? And where's the bathroom?

I'm sorry, but Disney really messed this up.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Is that a curtain separating the bedroom from the living room? And where's the bathroom?

I'm sorry, but Disney really messed this up.
You can click through here to fawn over my drawing and see some thoughts:

The bunk beds are in the bedroom. Opposite side of the same wall as the TV. We're jusssst about to see the ladder going up to top bunk. I had hoped for something like the Dcl bunk beds with a lower couch converting to a bed and then a pull down upper bunk (from ceiling or wall). It would have been a nice bedroom sitting spot with both "up."

With the bunks in the bedroom the only thing we don't see is the bathroom and the only place left to put it is on the opposite side of the cabin from the bedroom. This was a "fear" I had from the renderings with the high rectangular windows (there's an architectural name for these escaping my memory) on the left and right sides. We knew one side would be a bedroom and I speculated that the other side could be a bathroom but I hoped against it because I don't like the idea of walking out of bedroom to bathroom 20 feet away. But the windows, they're tall for privacy where you'd want privacy and light (bedroom and bathroom) and the ability to maximize using walls (not blocking windows). The setup will allow for a larger bathroom, like maybe separate tub and shower like they do at other resorts.

View attachment 758083

I'd 100% expect doors

John park hopper

Campsites for a tent $135 a night, deluxe RV campsite $245 ridiculous prices. KOA tent Orlando is 71 dollars/per night. 2019 tent rates at WDW were $70 I remember paying.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom