Disney to reinvent the theme park shopping experience with new mobile app - Shop Disney Parks

jme

So do you think this ends the third party park merchandise resellers?
No way. One, the public tends to be technology illiterate and will go with what they know already exists. And two, the resellers also resell out-of-print merchandise that can no longer be found in parks. And three, really hot items (For example the Disney Dooney Haunted Mansion purse) will still sell out rapidly upon restock, and make their way to the reseller market. If anything this app is just another tool for the resellers!

I'd like it if Disney reinvented their websites to where they would work consistently...
Step 1: Move everything off of go.com

G00fyDad

This is amazing! We will have a lot of fun with this one. I can't count how many times we have passed on buying something one day only to decide later that we want it but cannot remember where we saw the item. This is going to be great!

jmmc

I guess I can see someone's thought that this will end the exclusivity of theme park merchandise, but I'm happy to see this. I can see people being able to get that shirt they forgot to go back and buy before flying home. Recently, after our family went to WDW, I realized later that my parents never bought anything for themselves. I would've liked to be able to go get that Expedition Everest T-shirt or whatever for them after we came home.

hopemax

So initial impression is I wonder how accurate this really is. I'm a pin person, and the app shows Limited Edition pins. You can't buy them from the app, but it does list what shop supposedly has them. Some of the stuff that is listed, is stuff that should have sold out months ago. Because my Mom worked merchandise dealing with this stuff, even "sold out" stuff can be listed in the database, because a CM will forget to scan a barcode before putting it in a customer's bag, or "shrink." And so it will say "X shop has 2 for sale" when they actually have none.

I can see people, making a special trip to a location for something specific, only to get there and not be able to actually buy the item. And then waving their phone in the CM face, "but it says you have it!"

G00fyDad

So initial impression is I wonder how accurate this really is. I'm a pin person, and the app shows Limited Edition pins. You can't buy them from the app, but it does list what shop supposedly has them. Some of the stuff that is listed, is stuff that should have sold out months ago. Because my Mom worked merchandise dealing with this stuff, even "sold out" stuff can be listed in the database, because a CM will forget to scan a barcode before putting it in a customer's bag, or "shrink." And so it will say "X shop has 2 for sale" when they actually have none.

I can see people, making a special trip to a location for something specific, only to get there and not be able to actually buy the item. And then waving their phone in the CM face, "but it says you have it!"

Isn't that the way any retailer works? Why would Disney be perfect? Of course this is going to happen, but this is an amazing service regardless of the occasional bumps along the way. Every retailer that offers an online store with the option to pick up the item in the brick and mortar location has this issue.

Thunder Kz

Initially, I had mixed thoughts on this. On one hand, there is something about having some things available only in the Parks that makes those things special. On the other hand, who hasn't left the Parks some time in their lifetime regretting not getting that one item, and this app now basically solves that problem. At the end of the day, keeping current with Amazon and Overstock, why not give the people what they want?

Either way you fall on the issue, a couple of entertaining finds from my first look:

It just tastes better from Port Orleans Riverside...

image.jpg

"Nice shirt" - Mr. Olo (?)

image.jpg

Overall, great stuff, and I think I'm really going to like this. Fantastic job, Disney!

Last edited:

spaceghost

Booo.... no Windows 10 Universal or Windows Phone app? No web app for people without iOS or Android? (Yes, I'm prepared for the inevitable Windows Phone/Surface slams.)

Jahona

Booo.... no Windows 10 Universal or Windows Phone app? No web app for people without iOS or Android? (Yes, I'm prepared for the inevitable Windows Phone/Surface slams.)
It's not unusual. It might take a while before developers start using Microsoft's Android to Windows 10 porting tools. If you have windows 10 you can run a virtual android environment and run the app that way.

JWG

Found it for the iphone but doesn't turn up for ipad.
What if you click on the iphone only tab? It may just not be a fully developed app for both devices.

EDIT: Confirmed, it's an iPhone only app, you need to change the drop down from iPad only to iPhone only. It stinks to use those apps on the iPad, but it will work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom