Disney to reinvent the theme park shopping experience with new mobile app - Shop Disney Parks

asianway

Another thought this would absolutly DESTROY ebay scalpers. I wonder how if that's on purpose here.
How so?

As far as popcorn buckets go, I dont think they are officially merchandise items and may not even be available on the app.

While I am sure more it will crimp more than a few CMs who run shopping services, no ones getting rich on that.

LE and special event items are where the scalpers make their money and those are not likely to be on the app. And if they are, you just made everyone in the country with an internet connection a scalper rather than a small group of Orlando - ites.

Polydweller

Will it be available to non-US residents that are either in the parks or staying at the hotels, or is it US-residents only for wherever you are?
This seems like another example of Disney's apparent hate on for international customers. They dropped the Disney Card program which was worldwide and went to a U.S. only Visa card option, they won't ship magic bands outside of the U.S. and there are other things I'm forgetting but where they've cut out non-US customers. Basically, they seem to be saying they really don't want those of us who are outside they US.

WickedPixie

The app is very cool and has lots of neat features such the product locator and the ability to ship larger items home that might not fit in luggage.
At this time though it doesn't give the option to send purchases to your WDW resort if you're staying property or have items waiting for you at the front of the park, yet. It is a future addition though:). Also although it will include many products not all products will be available thru the app especially when it first goes live.

rob0519

After giving this some thought, I'm not sure I like the idea. There was always a sort of exclusiveness to the items you could only get at the World. The idea of seeing what was new and being able to buy something you couldn't get at home had a certain excitement or at least a level of anticipation. Yeah, it will continue to pad the bottom line and add to shareholder value, but I'm not sure it's a great idea overall.

Sped2424

After giving this some thought, I'm not sure I like the idea. There was always a sort of exclusiveness to the items you could only get at the World. The idea of seeing what was new and being able to buy something you couldn't get at home had a certain excitement or at least a level of anticipation. Yeah, it will continue to pad the bottom line and add to shareholder value, but I'm not sure it's a great idea overall.
There is no mention of being able to buy it and have it shipped to your house however. I am thinking this app is for pickup and hotel delivery only which would make a lot of sense.

Wags14

Pretty pumped about this. This is a great idea.

Example, we always make our kids wait to make their "toy" purchases. That way they really know what they really want. Well it just so happens my oldest son wanted something at AK after we had already been there for our 1 day park visit to AK. Needless to say this app would have been an emotional lifesaver for all of us and a tremendous convenience.

Innkeeper's Club

Even before this app was announced you were still able to purchase items from WDW on the Disney Store website. While they say this app will be selling a lot more items from WDW compared to the Disney Store website, I take that to mean there was not a lot of exclusiveness.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
This seems like another example of Disney's apparent hate on for international customers. They dropped the Disney Card program which was worldwide and went to a U.S. only Visa card option, they won't ship magic bands outside of the U.S. and there are other things I'm forgetting but where they've cut out non-US customers. Basically, they seem to be saying they really don't want those of us who are outside they US.

They cannot ship the magicbands overseas because they are also transmitters and would have to go through each countries radio licensing program.

As for the rest, no clue.

WickedPixie

As someone "in the know" in the beginning of the app launch its purpose is to be able to locate items in the parks and dtd and resort gift shops so that you can know exactly where to go to get it or you can have the item shipped to your home(for a fee). At a later time you will be able to have it shipped to your resort or have it waiting at the front of the park. You can add your Disney affliations (DVC and AP holders) so that you can still get your discount at checkout. Disney Chase visa discounts are not applicable for the time being.

rob0519

Even before this app was announced you were still able to purchase items from WDW on the Disney Store website. While they say this app will be selling a lot more items from WDW compared to the Disney Store website, I take that to mean there was not a lot of exclusiveness.

The Disney Store website has such a minute percentage of merchandise that is available at say Mouse Gears, The Emporium or World of Disney. Yes, you can purchase items by calling WDW, but you need to be able to tell them what the item looked like, where it was sold, an SKU if you know it. Unless you know exactly what the item is that service isn't much help. It will be interesting to see just how many items are put on this app. Will it be just the best selling items from the stores? Will it be items from the individual attraction gift shops? I just like the idea of having something I can only get at WDW. Just my opinion and for the record, I will view the app when it becomes available.

JRMFL

Don't know if this got mentioned yet. It will only support home delivery initially, with the resort delivery and package pickup options phasing in later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom