Disney to reinvent the theme park shopping experience with new mobile app - Shop Disney Parks

Innkeeper's Club

A couple points...

1. This should make it EASY to justify park and attraction specific merch to an extreme we've never seen before. I'm taking from the Country Bears to the Tiki Room to the Jungle Cruise. By selling to EVERYONE rather than just the people in the parks, it makes it MUCH easier to hit minimum quantities of items that they need to sell in order to make a profit. They're no longer reliant only on people as they happen to pass by a product to reach those minimums. If they do this right, we might see them take risks on merch like never before. You'd think no matter what they create, they'd be able to turn a profit on it with the app sales added.

2. To that point... I better be able to buy full size HM tapestries soon, dangit.
While I agree this app will be great if we forget to purchase something while at the parks or resorts. However the one thing I refuse to purchase online is clothes just in case something might not fit. For example the t-shirts WDW currently sells might have a different feel even though it's a specific size.

Innkeeper's Club

Not all of us use or will ever use eBay. Sorry, don't trust it at all.
If you have a PayPal account and there is a problem with an item from eBay that never shipped or you were sent the wrong thing, they will refund your money.

Now if you happen to purchase something fake which can happen when it comes to things like autographs you need to be careful before getting that type of item from eBay, unless you know the seller is 100% legit.

CP_alum08

I wonder if the Disney company gets some sort of royalty check each time they use the word "reinvent" or "revolutionize"?

Or better yet, maybe someone at TDO needs to look up the definition of those words.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That way if you were considering purchasing in the park, you can think and come back to the item later. But it also means you have to have seen the item (and scanned it), keeping it exclusive to the parks.

I'm not a big defender of the 'exclusive' angle... but encouraging scanning is great for many use cases... I hope they get it in.

Price check...
Send to a friend for comments..
Save for later...
skip checkout if you are willing to pay on mobile and have the item delivered...
etc

DisneyRoy

19789999.jpg
I wonder if the Disney company gets some sort of royalty check each time they use the word "reinvent" or "revolutionize"?

Or better yet, maybe someone at TDO needs to look up the definition of those words.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Not sure if they do, but they were my words.

I don't believe Disney has announced it yet.

ToTBellHop

I still don't understand why this has yet to be implemented with MagicBands.
It surprises me, too. The whole point of the MagicBand is that you don't need anything else and can just leave your wallet/purse in the hotel safe, and yet I still need my AP and ID. If the Band apparently has comes with the technology for a CM or animatronic to know it is my birthday (still waiting on that actually-cool offering), this should be a non-issue.

Innkeeper's Club

Does anyone have any idea when this app will be released?

The most recent comparable is the new Disneyland app that was released last week for iPhone and Android, however I don't remember there being news about it before it was released. I remember seeing news out of the blue that it was now available.

JWG

Love it. Would be great if you could get special or limited edition merchandise. AP pins, etc.
Even better if you could get special event merchandise by connecting to MDE and being able to demonstrate you purchased a ticket.

rob0519

Really stupid question, but does this mean I can finally get Mickey Pretzels sent to my home? Those things are addictive and extremely hard to find online, unless I want to spend $14 a bag via a third party reseller.

I wouldn't hold out hope for the pretzels. I tried buying some popcorn tins to have mailed as a gift and was told Disney would not ship food items because they could not guarantee the product could not be tampered with (spiked, poisoned, etc) before it reached it's destination. They even refused to ship a can of ground coffee. Maybe this will change things.

Sped2424

ABOUT TIME. Goodness I can not count how many times I am looking for an item and cast can't tell me where it is or what store it's even located in.

Kman101

A couple points...

1. This should make it EASY to justify park and attraction specific merch to an extreme we've never seen before. I'm taking from the Country Bears to the Tiki Room to the Jungle Cruise. By selling to EVERYONE rather than just the people in the parks, it makes it MUCH easier to hit minimum quantities of items that they need to sell in order to make a profit. They're no longer reliant only on people as they happen to pass by a product to reach those minimums. If they do this right, we might see them take risks on merch like never before. You'd think no matter what they create, they'd be able to turn a profit on it with the app sales added.

2. To that point... I better be able to buy full size HM tapestries soon, dangit.

They're selling this for the Country Bears
country-bear-jamboree-jug-pecos-bills-featured.jpg

LOL

But I really like the idea of this app. Could be a big problem for my wallet.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Does anyone have any idea when this app will be released?

The most recent comparable is the new Disneyland app that was released last week for iPhone and Android, however I don't remember there being news about it before it was released. I remember seeing news out of the blue that it was now available.
Disney hasn't announced this app yet.

It shouldn't be far off however.

Jahona

Another thought this would absolutly DESTROY ebay scalpers. I wonder how if that's on purpose here.

Might not absolutely destroy the ebay sellers but put a wrinkle in their operations. Honestly Disney has known there is a market for parks specific merchandise. They have slowly been doing this on the Disney Store, granted not with a great selection.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Still am I not right that they didn't announce the Disneyland app? As I said before all of the sudden last week I read that it was now available.
Yes I believe so. And I think it will be the same with this. Not much point in them really talking about it until its available.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom