Disney to make an expansion announcement today.

menamechris

Reporter: "Ms. Crofton, would you like to make a comment about tonight's announcement?"

Meg: "I am so happy that we are able to add these additional seats for our cherished Fantasmic show. Our research shows that guests have said time and time again that they prefer watching this nighttime spectacular sitting down, and I am so glad that we are going to be able to give an additional 1,000 guests that opportunity. This is just a true testament to our commitment to expanding our parks and creating new experiences. Just like how we are doubling the size of Fantasyland at Epcot....."

Axle1986

Okay can someone please paraphrase exactly what has been said?
New seats for Fantasmic... is that all? No changes to the show at all?
This thread is a hot mess haha

sponono88

The newly posted article by the Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-...os-fantasmic-seating-20120905,0,6328003.story

I'm still confused about the decision to invite the press.. they made it seem like something worthwhile would be announced and yet nothing will change -- the article confirms that capacity will remain the same. o_O

And those of us clamoring for upgrades/changes - this is the reason why they are keeping the show as is:

More than 90 percent of guests rate "Fantasmic" as "excellent" or better, he said.

Why spend money to change it when guests are satisfied with what is there already?

RunnerEd

I have no issue with people who are diabled using them. I do have a BIG, HUGE issue with 534-pound folks using them to help die quicker instead of getting off their fat arses (oh wait, I can use now!) and walking. I don't know how you can look like that and drive on and have any dignity at all. ... Being addicted to food isn't a disability.
I wish I could like this post 1000 times. I have a friend who is a wheelchair-bound quadriplegic that used to take disability applications for the Social Security Administration. Kim would look up at some of the people turning the application in and ask, "You do realize that laziness is not a federally recognized disability?" Classic stuff!!!

So they spend a few hundred grand on seating.
As opposed to putting that money into fixing the show's problems.

Yeah, that sounds about right...
Because people should be forced to stand, right, Lee? That definitely enhances a show's entertainment value for me, when I have to stand through the whole thing.

Captain Chaos

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-...os-fantasmic-seating-20120905,0,6328003.story

I'm still confused about the decision to invite the press.. they made it seem like something worthwhile would be announced and yet nothing will change -- the article confirms that capacity will remain the same. o_O

And those of us clamoring for upgrades/changes - this is the reason why they are keeping the show as is:

Why spend money to change it when guests are satisfied with what is there already?

Wow... Just wow... Cockerell is just... wow...

Lee

Adventurer
Because people should be forced to stand, right, Lee? That definitely enhances a show's entertainment value for me, when I have to stand through the whole thing.
It's called "standing room only" and has been doing just fine all these years. Are we to believe that guests have been pouring into guest services to complain that they got there late and had to stand?
Meanwhile, the show continues to suffer from show and infrastructure issues.

Makes perfect sense...

TalkingHead

Reporter: "Ms. Crofton, would you like to make a comment about tonight's announcement?"

Meg: "I am so happy that we are able to add these additional seats for our cherished Fantasmic show. Our research shows that guests have said time and time again that they prefer watching this nighttime spectacular sitting down, and I am so glad that we are going to be able to give an additional 1,000 guests that opportunity. This is just a true testament to our commitment to expanding our parks and creating new experiences. Just like how we are doubling the size of Fantasyland at Epcot....."

Danny Cockerell's comments in the Sentinel article are eerily similar to what you wrote here.

From the article:

>> Disney researchers interiewed Studios guests and found results that weren't exactly surprising.

"Lo and behold, we discovered that guests that were sitting have a significantly better experience than the ones that were standing," Cockerell said. <<

Yeah, it took 14 years for them to realize sitting is more comfortable than standing.

Brilliant...

Captain Chaos

Danny Cockerell's comments in the Sentinel article are eerily similar to what you wrote here.

From the article:

>> Disney researchers interiewed Studios guests and found results that weren't exactly surprising.

"Lo and behold, we discovered that guests that were sitting have a significantly better experience than the ones that were standing," Cockerell said. <<

Yeah, it took 14 years for them to realize sitting is more comfortable than standing.

Brilliant...
He is ready to take over for Meg... Qualifications: HE DOESN'T GET IT...

menamechris

From the article:

Brilliant...

I actually feel embarassed for him....

RunnerEd

I just looked at the existing F! stadium and the standing room areas in the backs of either side. This work should be completed in less than a week since the area is backstage most of the time anyway. I taught at a High School when they replaced the bleachers in the football stadium. The metal ones go up in no time and 1000 seats isn't that many to a company that does this kind of thing.

The Duck

So they spend a few hundred grand on seating.
As opposed to putting that money into fixing the show's problems.

Yeah, that sounds about right...
TDO Logic: Sure it's a mediocre show but now even more people will have a semi-comfortable place to sit while watching it! :D

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I do one nightshoot and all hell breaks loose!

AvLand - stuck in the mud.
DHS - bright new star eventually.
Expansion to Studios? Probably. Surprising? Probably.

Micromanaged press conferences about *snigger* seating? Dire.

Why didn't they also say the Dragon also actually caught fire for a few seconds a few weeks back? Or the fact DL Fant is now in its 4th or 5th revision and DHS is still in its first?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

And if you are going to announce new benches at Fantasmic and a new castle show, why not at least invite the press to the new castle show, that would make more sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom