Disney to make an expansion announcement today.

menamechris

I spoke with a friend of mine who is in the industry, and I think local media is getting very irritated with WDW. When your city's largest employer calls a press conference, you feel compelled to go - with the assumption that what you are being dragged out for is - or will be - compelling. Something worthy of a spot on the 11:00 news or a newsworthy write up in the paper. Disney used to delivery on this in spades. Today - it's more like the boy who cried wolf.

devoy1701

I spoke with a friend of mine who is in the industry, and I think local media is getting very irritated with WDW. When your city's largest employer calls a press conference, you feel compelled to go - with the assumption that what you are being dragged out for is - or will be - compelling. Something worthy of a spot on the 11:00 news or a newsworthy write up in the paper. Disney used to delivery on this in spades. Today - it's more like the boy who cried wolf.

it wasn't even that long ago when we all used to get excited whenever a press conference was called at WDW... We used to have watch parties (more or less anyway) on here...

:(

wannab@dis

Why exactly would expanded seating be worth advertising? Why did the news outlets not respond when the new show was announced earlier?
You still think this was about more seating? They talked about two nighttime shows - both receiving high guest marks. One with expanded seating and one with a significant overhaul. In return for a small event, they get stories printed and shown with pretty pictures of the shows. It was about getting advertising into the media.

tomman710

Yes, the toilet paperazzi showed up and got flushed out of the event for swiping some dirty pics.

I believe Lou Mongello said, "The new toilets installed today are so significant and amazing they make the invention of electricity look like Stitch's Supersonic Celebration ... err ... I mean that was amazing, greatest show ever created ... I meant the new toilets are the most significant addition to America since women were granted the right to vote."

flynnibus

Premium Member
Personally, I think Disney should just have issued a press release and left it at that. No reason for a teaser, gathering the press and making an announcement.

That's just it... There was no teaser from Disney.. No press about this at all except for inviting the media on property to swoon them about their nighttime entertainment. While everyone is focusing on the benches, they also released new art for CTM. People are holding Disney to the fire for hyping something when they did no such thing.

The art release was worthy of a blog post.. But people want to grab their pitchforks for Disney doing something that they really have no insight into to start with. There could have been other motives to get people together beyond to break news...

you make a point. Next time Disney is going to make an announcement, I will wait until after it is made to begin caring what it might be. :)

Or wait until Disney actually makes an announcement about one.. Instead of people jumping all up and down over a local news teaser ad

Of course.. You have the situation where Disney announced an announcement.. Like the one that was ultimately the announcement of the year's marketing theme and people went all ape over that one too. Because again they inserted what they thought the announcement was going to be and were upset when they were wrong.. And blame Disney for their own errors

WDW1974

Or you could say, "Why did Disney feel compelled to make anything out of this announcement?" Surely the foamers wouldn't be freaking out like they are if Disney hadn't invited the media for an announcement.

Who cares about the title of the thread?

Bottom line: Disney arranged a media gathering to announce new bleachers and a show that had already been announced.

*And they also took the opportunity to gloat about how wonderful Fantasmic is. :rolleyes:

Well, to be fair, they do have the bestest show called Fantasmic in the entire SE USA!:D

asianway

No, no, no ... not going to start that again.
I think I have it straight-real media need handlers while in the park otherwise they need to stay outside the arch.

Blogger media gets to do pretty much whatever they want.

::scratches head::

WDW1974

I think I have it straight-real media need handlers while in the park otherwise they need to stay outside the arch.

Blogger media gets to do pretty much whatever they want.

::scratches head::

I actually think that's it.

I wonder if Jason Garcia can even simply buy an AP to WDW (and/or UNI and/or SW) and visit regularly looking for ideas to report on without getting Rick Sylvain's approval first.

maxairmike

I can imagine. No matter my theoretical job in a local news outlet, I would be pretty peeved if I had been told there was a Disney press event/announcement and sent out camera men, on-air talent/had to go out to cover it only to find out I'm "announcing" the addition of extra benches to replace SRO at a show. I don't know how you don't feel you just wasted time and money on that kind of a crap announcement. They could have dug up a new hot YouTube video about something local/related and run something on it for a lot less.

RSoxNo1

I'd rather have nothing than Avatarland.

I love the AK. It's my favorite of the Disney parks. And I would like to see a little more there. But wanting something new isn't the same as wanting anything at all that is new. I want something good and something that fits in with the AK. Avatar doesn't qualify for me. If they brought in a cool Jungle Book singing & dancing show, that would be good. A cool ride would be great.

I'm not really jazzed about Carsland because I'm not a Cars fan. But I think it works at DS. And I don't love the Studios, anyway, so I wouldn't be opposed to whatever they did there.

Also, this announcement that is supposed to be made was not in any way related to the AK.
I don't really get this mentality, but I suppose it means that you're more patient than me. Also, the Jungle Book had a show in the Animal Kingdom, it was replaced by Tarzan and that was replaced by Nemo.

RSoxNo1

So they spend a few hundred grand on seating.
As opposed to putting that money into fixing the show's problems.

Yeah, that sounds about right...
I know you told me not to read this thread, but really why the hell did this merit an announcement? Did the hold a press event announcing the widening of roads? Or adding wi-fi?

This isn't press event worthy. If the show was going to be receiving major upgrades and they were converting standing room areas to benches, then you have an announcement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom