Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

The Conundrum

Iger really needs to strongarm Fox, Sony, and Universal.

I want Marvel charecters in the parks and I want them Yesterday!

Oh and I just came up with a wicked idea. They should bulldoze UOE, WOL, M:S, and Test Track and build a giant futuristic science land for Marvel charecters. Im thinking two giant pavillions one dedicated to industry and future technology (Stark Industries, Oscorp, Hank & Jan Pym)

and another dedicated to Marvel's space heroes (drax, silver surfer, quasar, Marvelman, Captain Mahr-Vel, etc.). Can you guys imagine a WDI built gigantic Galactus AA? would be epic!! :sohappy:

jonnyc

This has made me want to ask a question for those reacting to the positivly to the possiblity of Marvel characters in Disney (even though this seems a long way off if it does ever happen)...

... What are your thoughts on Marvel Super Hero Island in IOA?

I'm curious. As I swear a few posters who have shown happiness at the move have said they never have been to IOA in threads in the past, so when people say they want to see them in the parks, are they aware that they are actually already in a park down the road.

lebeau

This has made me want to ask a question for those reacting to the positivly to the possiblity of Marvel characters in Disney (even though this seems a long way off if it does ever happen)...

I'm curious. As I swear a few posters who have shown happiness at the move have said they never have been to IOA in threads in the past, so when people say they want to see them in the parks, are they aware that they are actually already in a park down the road.

I had a similar reaction.

Let's be real, people. Odds are, Universal handled the Marvel characters better at IoA than Disney would in their own parks!

GothMickey

I actually thought of that as I wrote it. My point is people don't see Spiderman and think "Disney!" Of course they also don't think "Universal." The Disney fanboys are deluding themselves if they truely believe that Universal is freaking out over this. Universal's agreements are with Marvel...and Marvel still exists, it just has a new owner, who happens to be Disney. Nothing else has changed.

Except for the fact that Marvel no longer, or will no longer exist on its own. Disney OWNS, or WILL OWN Marvel. Marvel will not just go do what it wants to do, wil lnot make deals with who it wants to make deals with. Disney will now control that part. So, yes, things HAVE changed.

lebeau

Except for the fact that Marvel no longer, or will no longer exist on its own. Disney OWNS, or WILL OWN Marvel. Marvel will not just go do what it wants to do, wil lnot make deals with who it wants to make deals with. Disney will now control that part. So, yes, things HAVE changed.

Except Disney has said they will honor all previously made deals (because they have to).

So, things have NOT changed for existing deals.

GothMickey

Personally, I like it. Maybe a bit cartoonish, but, hey, it is based on a cartoon comic right?

SirGoofy

IOdds are, Universal handled the Marvel characters better at IoA than Disney would in their own parks!

Completely disagree. See below.

I enjoy it, but if it wasn't for Spidey, it would be my least favorite Island. Hulk s a great coaster and I enjoy the queue, but I feel like the story execution is weak(I know, I know it's a coaster, but I hold Uni to the same level I hold Disney). Storm Force is also fairly lame.

And I think the theming on the over all Island is incredibly tacky. The huge, carboard cutouts of the superheroes/villains are terrible, and really take away from the city feel of the island. Disney would never do something that tacky.

Again, Spidey is the best there is. No doubt in my mind, but MSI on the whole leaves something to be desired, IMO.

lebeau

And the fact that Universal will be promoting DISNEY charcters??? Yes, things HAVE changed.

This has been covered to death in this thread, but Universal already promotes properties owned by rival studios in their theme parks. So does Disney for that matter.

The only thing that has changed is how the check is made payable.

lebeau

Completely disagree. See below.

I enjoy it, but if it wasn't for Spidey, it would be my least favorite Island. Hulk s a great coaster and I enjoy the queue, but I feel like the story execution is weak(I know, I know it's a coaster, but I hold Uni to the same level I hold Disney). Storm Force is also fairly lame.

And I think the theming on the over all Island is incredibly tacky. The huge, carboard cutouts of the superheroes/villains are terrible, and really take away from the city feel of the island. Disney would never do something that tacky.

Again, Spidey is the best there is. No doubt in my mind, but MSI on the whole leaves something to be desired, IMO.

I get what you're saying. But I see Disney giving Marvel the Muppets treatment. If Ioa didn't exist, I don't think Disney would do anything as cool as the Spider-man ride at WDW.

Now, if they built their own Marvel park, all bets would be off. But if they just shoe-horned Spidey into DHS, it probably wouldn't be as cool as IoA.

Obviously, just speculating. But I have low exepctations as to how Disney would handle Marvel properties if they had free reign. In a way, I'm glad they don't.

TalkingHead

Chester and Hester's DinoRama was just a bad dream, right?

SirGoofy

Obviously, just speculating. But I have low exepctations as to how Disney would handle Marvel properties if they had free reign. In a way, I'm glad they don't.

Lasseter, man.

He can make anything good.

And they have free reign west of the ol' Mississippi. Im sure he'll think of something.

WDWFREAK53

Here are my thoughts on Marvel Superhero Island.

Attractions:
Incredible Hulk Coaster: Awesome coaster...and I love how it sounds like the Hulk's roar as it passes overhead. That being said, aside from it being green...no theming (aside from the queue...and the torn-apart tank). The Gamma Tube is a stretch.

Storm-Force Accelatron: This attraction is set so far back...that people just walk right by it. It's the teacups with some effects...nothing special.

Dr. Doom's Fearfall: Theming wise...it's great. I love the queue, the looping video, and the "story." And there's nothing like the feeling you get as you're waiting to launch and the doors close forming Dr. Doom's face. The ride, on the otherhand, is nothing special...again. This attraction can be found at most amusement parks throughout the country.

The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man: WOW...this is an incredible attraction...from the minute you step into the queue, to the minute you are spit out into the gift shop. The queue is incredible...I love the "office" portion...with everything being painted "drab" colors as they would be if they were in a comic book (for the most part, the only "vibrant" things in comic books are the main characters). The safety spiel is hilarious. The ride is spot-on perfection.

Overall theming:
I'm not a fan of the cardboard cutouts all over the buildings. They seem cheap and take me out of the element. I understand why they did it...but it doesn't work IMO. The land is very loud with the roar of the Hulk, the screams from the Fear Fall, the loud music...etc. Again, it WORKS with this environment...because, afterall, it's a cityscape. (When you're up against Toon Lagoon with it's kinetic feel...and cardboard cutouts that work, Lost Continent, Suess Landing, etc...Marvel Superhero Island doesn't stack up.)

Superhero Meet & Greet: Aside from Spider-Man, the characters are all pretty weak. Wolverine and Green Goblin could be the worst characters in any theme park. (The actual costumes are weak, not the characters themselves). Why would superheroes ride 4-wheelers? Storm can fly, Green Goblin has his "board," Spidey can swing through the city, etc. A park-wide parade would work so well...I still don't understand why they haven't attempted it.

ParkMan73

And the fact that Universal will be promoting DISNEY charcters??? Yes, things HAVE changed.

There's a part of me that would like to see Disney slap a "(R) Disney" on every Marvel image used at Universal. imagine...
The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman (R) Disney
Incredible Hulk (R) Disney Coaster

It would just be kinda fun to see the word Disney all over the place at Universal :)

But really doubt Disney mgmt. would do that...

TalkingHead

I get what you're saying. But I see Disney giving Marvel the Muppets treatment. If Ioa didn't exist, I don't think Disney would do anything as cool as the Spider-man ride at WDW.

Now, if they built their own Marvel park, all bets would be off. But if they just shoe-horned Spidey into DHS, it probably wouldn't be as cool as IoA.

Look at it this way. The Spiderman ride has been around for 10 years, and Disney hasn't topped it yet. So what are the chances that Disney would have equalled the Spiderman ride if Uni hadn't built it? Not very likely.

The Conundrum

This has been covered to death in this thread, but Universal already promotes properties owned by rival studios in their theme parks. So does Disney for that matter.

The only thing that has changed is how the check is made payable.

Those "rival studios" don't have major theme parks that are competitors.

Disney and Universal are in a different league from say Paramount coaster park out in Nantucket somewhere.

It's a tricky situation for Universal because they know the Marvel island is a huge draw (and the fact is Spider-Man is the best/most technologically advanced e-ticket attraction in the USA until Potter opens) but at the same time do they really want to promote Disney's agenda and hand there fierciest competitor a paycheck every month?

In Universal's mind they should be saying to themselves "If we drop Marvel we will still have Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, the Universal movies, and the delicious Mythos" and they can for under $1 billion retool the island into Transformers (Cybertron), DC (Gotham), Dark Horse (Hellboy, etc.) or Movie monsters or something.

Hell they can even get into bed with Fox and turn the island into NARNIA Kingdom!

If I was Universal I would immediatly announce its closure the second the deal is finalized but thats just me because I wouldn't let my competitor rape me.

When I go to Disney World now im going to be expecting Marvel rides, shows, attractions, and charecters. As a shareholder I want to see my (and millions of others) dollars being put to good use creating value at the resort.

_Scar

Iger really needs to strongarm Fox, Sony, and Universal.

Oh and I just came up with a wicked idea. They should bulldoze UOE, WOL, M:S, and Test Track and build a giant futuristic science land for Marvel charecters. Im thinking two giant pavillions one dedicated to industry and future technology (Stark Industries, Oscorp, Hank & Jan Pym)

and another dedicated to Marvel's space heroes (drax, silver surfer, quasar, Marvelman, Captain Mahr-Vel, etc.). Can you guys imagine a WDI built gigantic Galactus AA? would be epic!! :sohappy:

Now, why would they use characters that aren't household names? :hammer:

lebeau

Those "rival studios" don't have major theme parks that are competitors.

Disney and Universal are in a different league from say Paramount coaster park out in Nantucket somewhere.

It's a tricky situation for Universal because they know the Marvel island is a huge draw (and the fact is Spider-Man is the best/most technologically advanced e-ticket attraction in the USA until Potter opens) but at the same time do they really want to promote Disney's agenda and hand there fierciest competitor a paycheck every month?

In Universal's mind they should be saying to themselves "If we drop Marvel we will still have Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, the Universal movies, and the delicious Mythos" and they can for under $1 billion retool the island into Transformers (Cybertron), DC (Gotham), Dark Horse (Hellboy, etc.) or Movie monsters or something.

Hell they can even get into bed with Fox and turn the island into NARNIA Kingdom!

This comes from the latest Kevin Yee article (link: http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky090109a.htm)

The question on almost every theme park fan's lips, including my own, is what this all means for the existing theme park Marvel properties, presently situated at Universal Studios' Islands of Adventure: the phenomenal Spider-Man simulator ride, the sublime Hulk roller-coaster, the Doctor Doom freefall ride, and smaller locations such as the Fantastic Four restaurant and an eatery dedicated to Captain America.

The answer? Probably not much. Iger has said that Disney will honor existing Marvel contracts, and Universal's original filings indicate it has a long-term lock on using the Marvel characters in theme park attractions. It's still early in the game, but Universal has already issued a statement that its rides are not going anywhere: "Marvel Super Hero Island at Universal's Islands of Adventure and the Marvel characters are an important part of the Universal Orlando experience. They will remain so. Our agreement with Marvel stands for as long as we follow the terms of our existing contract and for as long as we want there to be a Marvel Super Hero Island."

Then, Universal sent this missive to their own employees: "You may have seen reports this morning that Disney intends to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Naturally, Team Members and guests may wonder how this will impact Islands of Adventure. Marvel Super Hero Island and the Marvel characters are a beloved and important part of the Universal Orlando experience and will remain so. Our guests are still going to be able to meet Spider-Man and all our other Marvel characters. We believe our agreement with Marvel stands and that the Disney/Marvel deal will have no impact on our guest experience."

------------------

Seems pretty obvious to me that Universal plans to stick to the deal as-is.

Nothing has changed unless someone finds a legal loophole.

The Conundrum

Now, why would they use characters that aren't household names? :hammer:

Song of the South, Mr.Toad, and figment say hello :wave:

Since he can't touch the big charecters, Iger has already said they are looking into even the most obscure charecters. Citing Iron Man as an example of a non-famous Superhero striking a chord with audiences.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom