Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

britain

Absolutely no way Disney tears out the Monorail. Imagine Trowbridge proudly tweeting that 🤣

There have been rumors for years, of course, that Disney has considered rerouting/shortening the Monorail in that back corner of the park. I'd fully support this. In fact, I'd fully support bulldozing that entire corner -- but as others have pointed out, the lengthy Nemo renovation suggests this isn't happening.

In short: no idea how to decipher Trowbridge's tweet.
Nothing really to decipher but it is as close as you can get to an official confirmation that the use of the motor boat area is being scrutinized.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Now I'm looking back and wondering if I'M not misreading.

@marni1971 were you talking about the Peoplemover track or the monorail?

In context, because of the link to the tweet with the monorail, I read assumed Marni was talking about the monorail. But reading it now, it very well could have been referring to the Peoplemover and I could have just jumped to conclusions.
Peoplemover. Not monorail. Definitely Peoplemover. Just to recap pre covid there were plans to remove the Peoplemover track. That would have been happening about now if not just about finishing. I also know the Peoplemover structure was surveyed recently-ish and that concluded it was still structurally viable.

Last edited:

britain

Peoplemover. Not monorail. Definitely Peoplemover. Just to recap pre covid there were plans to remove the Peoplemover track. That would have been happening about now if not just about finishing. I also know the Peoplemover structure was surveyed recently-ish and that concluded it was still structurally viable.

Still, anything motorboat lagoon related makes removing a PORTION of Monorail track a possibility. Unless they just build whatever they're building in the area around the monorail, DCA-style.

FYI, Alicia on Parkstop reported a Peoplemover-returning rumor as well a few weeks ago.

el_super

That can have a couple of different meanings though.... Structurally Viable could just mean that it's A-OK to leave it standing for a few more years while a more ambitious plan is created. The other issues over clearance and emergency egress would still need to be resolved, and the only real way to do that with the current track, would be to shut down and completely rebuild and reconfigure the Star Tours/Star Trader/Space Mountain segments and then rework the segments over the Submarines and Autopia. I'd imagine adding egress paths around the Autopia track would be .... complicated.

Unless of course you were just planning to tear it all down and start over.

el_super

If Monorail goes, depending on the plans, that just might do it for me.

I don't have any strong desire to keep the Monorail or the Submarines or Autopia... but I will say that it would be a terrible shame to lose so much more of that green-space in the back corner of Tomorrowland. Some of those trees are so amazingly tall. I have generally disliked the recent WDI product that has focused on more human-made rockwork than actual scenery.

Phroobar

What does this mean? Is he confirming the peoplemover rumors? Why couldn’t he spare scaring us and wait until the monorail was out of the shot?
So Scott Trowbridge goes to Disneyland and films the motor boat area and somehow that has to do with the People Mover? Can't the guy go to Disneyland and take videos with him like everyone else? I guess I didn't notice the trash can in the picture was moved. That always means heavy construction is coming around here.

After Galaxy's Edge, do we really trust Scott Trowbridge?

el_super

Too bad.... I was hopeful. Thanks @Phroobar for setting me straight... NO PEOPLEMOVER FOR DLR :(

You know what... ill just come out and say this. The biggest obstacle to overcome for bringing back the PeopleMover, is trying to devise a way that would prevent the dramatic downslide of attendance over the course of 5 to 10 years. The PeopleMover at Disneyland was shut down and replaced because no one was riding it. What makes them think people will want to ride it now?

Just like bringing back Lincoln or the Submarines, there would be an initial rush, and a quick and depressing fall off shortly after.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That can have a couple of different meanings though.... Structurally Viable could just mean that it's A-OK to leave it standing for a few more years while a more ambitious plan is created. The other issues over clearance and emergency egress would still need to be resolved, and the only real way to do that with the current track, would be to shut down and completely rebuild and reconfigure the Star Tours/Star Trader/Space Mountain segments and then rework the segments over the Submarines and Autopia. I'd imagine adding egress paths around the Autopia track would be .... complicated.

Unless of course you were just planning to tear it all down and start over.
I should’ve re worded it. Able to take a Peoplemover type attraction.

If they go through with Tron of course then bigger changes would happen. But surely they’re not that daft.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom