Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

Californian Elitist

I watched an old video of the DL Peoplemover and while the track layout was probably more interesting (and definitely longer) than WDW's, man was that thing clunky. I can absolutely see why they wanted to replace it.

As for the monorail, yikes. I just...that whole corner of the park is full of aging rides and is probably objectively a poor use of space for the park today. I recognize that it's probably not possible to do something to that space and leave the monorail as is. I know that the minute the subs. But that they would just rip it out without a second thought doesn't make me feel particularly great. The monorail is an icon. How do you just tear out an icon?
MK’s felt kinda clunky, too. Hhmm, well maybe not clunky, but rickety. It just felt dated. It is dated. Still a nice ride, though.

If Monorail goes, depending on the plans, that just might do it for me.

PiratesMansion

I feel dumb. Maybe I’m the only one that didn’t understand his post. That’s what he’s insinuating? I think Scott is either hinting at a Fantasyland expansion or confirming Peoplemover rumors or both
Now I'm looking back and wondering if I'M not misreading.

@marni1971 were you talking about the Peoplemover track or the monorail?

In context, because of the link to the tweet with the monorail, I read assumed Marni was talking about the monorail. But reading it now, it very well could have been referring to the Peoplemover and I could have just jumped to conclusions.

D.Silentu

Maybe I’m the only one that didn’t understand his post. That’s what he’s insinuating? I think Scott is either hinting at a Fantasyland expansion or confirming Peoplemover rumors or both
That is what I presumed from the video and if correct it's about time they did something with the old Motor Boat Cruise area.

PiratesMansion

I'm just going to assume that I'm wrong and jumped to incorrect conclusions unless Marni tells me otherwise.

Sorry folks!

Embarrassed Exit Strategy GIF

Phroobar

That is what I was thinking when I saw the video.

It reminds me of the rumor from a pre-covid of I think the BatB attraction going there.
I remember the rumor that BatB was going there. I think before that it was the Little Mermaid.
I wonder if they will ever get around to taking out the Wonderbra theater and replace it with a Frozen boat ride.

mickEblu

That is what I presumed from the video and if correct it's about time they did something with the old Motor Boat Cruise area.

I have mixed feelings. Motorboat cruise dock is one of the last places to chill off the beaten path at DL. It’s also has a classic Disney charm to it. But I realize to some it may not come across that way. I feel a little hypocritical though as I rarely ever sit there. I just think these quiet spots are important to have.

Anyway do we think they re shoehorning in an Encanto attraction? My money would be on a Frozen ride. It’s harmonious with the Matterhorn and you wouldn’t even need to build Arendelle. Just the attraction would be enough.

The last couple days have been interesting especially for a summer where many (myself excluded) were saying nothing big would be announced for DLR.

mickEblu

In context, because of the link to the tweet with the monorail, I read assumed Marni was talking about the monorail. But reading it now, it very well could have been referring to the Peoplemover and I could have just jumped to conclusions.

I hope you re right.

D.Silentu

I have mixed feelings. Motorboat cruise dock is one of the last places to chill off the beaten path at DL. It’s also has a classic Disney charm to it. But I realize to some it may not come across that way. I feel a little hypocritical though as I rarely ever sit there. I just think these quiet spots are important to have.
Certainly and they are getting fewer and far between unfortunately. As for me, I haven't been over to that spot since it became a smoking area. That's likely why I don't think of it as one of those quiet places and losing it doesn't bother me like other spots would. As for what may replace it, you're probably right thinking a Frozen attraction, but who knows?

yensidtlaw1969

They also just spent money refurbishing the Submarines so of course it would make sense to remove them.
I certainly hope they do - I have no strong love for the Nemo version, but my attachment to the Subs themselves makes me hope they stay around (and maybe one day return to being a more fascinating attraction).

I'd like to think that if they were planning to announce their removal later this summer they would have just quietly kept them closed instead of spending the money to get the attraction back up and running with some light plussing. Not really much point to making that kind of investment if the plan was to reopen them and probably close them again in a year or less. I have to assume Toontown's reopening will be about when things start to happen in Tomorrowland, if they really are happening.

trainplane3

I'd say he meant the PM track. The monorail is obviously still load bearing because it's active. The PM track would only be checked to ensure it wasn't going to collapse...or feasibility of a future project.

Why would they inspect the monorail track just recently? I'd assume it would be inspected regularly while the PM rots away and is only inspected on a "we want to make sure it doesn't collapse since we don't take care of it" basis.

I'm open to being wrong though. If the DL PM does come back, this is the most exciting project in the US Disney parks in a while to me.

mickEblu

How much room would Frozen After take up? Would the Motorboat cruise area and say the Northern half of Autopia be enough room?

PiratesMansion

They also just spent money refurbishing the Submarines so of course it would make sense to remove them.
Of course they're not going to remove them immediately, but we all know that the minute those subs reach their end of service life, they're gone. And that's best case scenario-there's nothing stopping Disney from at some point before then deciding the subs are more trouble than they're worth from a maintenance/staffing/capacity perspective, and frankly I couldn't blame them for coming to that conclusion. It wouldn't even be the first time they did so. The current ride using the subs certainly isn't good enough to justify their continued existence or the expense of operating them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy the subs are around. But...

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Absolutely no way Disney tears out the Monorail. Imagine Trowbridge proudly tweeting that 🤣

There have been rumors for years, of course, that Disney has considered rerouting/shortening the Monorail in that back corner of the park. I'd fully support this. In fact, I'd fully support bulldozing that entire corner -- but as others have pointed out, the lengthy Nemo renovation suggests this isn't happening.

In short: no idea how to decipher Trowbridge's tweet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom