Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The guy produced The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man and Rise of the Resistance. Maybe not everyone’s cup of tea, but those two projects are pretty unimpeachable.

I’m hindsight, Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland probably shouldn’t have happened. Should’ve been a single ride (at DCA, if anything). Not sure we should blame imagineering for that.
Remember the rumor was originally WDI was going smaller and have Star Wars takeover TT, but management wanted bigger. And when WDI went bigger, management started slashing. So maybe the TT takeover should have been done instead. But I'm actually ok with what we got.

So yeah I don't really blame Trowbridge for any of that.

mickEblu

I do think some degree of modernization is necessary. Those old peoplemover vehicles were quite clunky by 1990, let alone in 2022.

Even the WDW system that's not that much younger is sleeker and less dated looking.

You re referring to the ride system not the ride vehicles right? What I meant was as long as they look cool and are just up there moving them around I don’t think anyone cares if it’s tires or magnets or whatever ride system they may want to use.

I wouldn’t mind if they updated to look a bit more “futuristic” whatever that is. As long as they kept the same general shape in various bright colors.

PiratesMansion

You re referring to the ride system not the ride vehicles right? What I meant was as long as they look cool and are just up there moving them around I don’t think anyone cares if it’s tires or magnets or whatever ride system they may want to use.

I wouldn’t mind if they updated to look a bit more “futuristic” whatever that is. As long as they kept the same general shape in various bright colors.
The propulsion system doesn't help, but as seen in that video the thing seems very ancient and bangy and fragile.

They can bring back vehicles that look similar, by all means, but they should move with more fluidity or grace if they're going to open a new one tomorrow.

Compare the WDW Peoplemover. Much less creaky-seeming compared to the DL version IMO.

mickEblu

Alicia Stella of Parkstop, very reliable insider.

Any other interesting tidbits on that premium podcast? I looked up her podcast, found the Recent one on Universal and found out a Fast and the Furious coaster is coming to USH in 2024? In fact @egg it’s going right right where the Animal Actors studio and Special Effects stage go. It will also extend out onto the hillside along the escalators. Not quite sure how I feel about it. And why Fast n Furious? Has this been announced by Universal?

Pacnw

Absolutely agree...I would imagine that we'd 100% get something fresh, modern and smooth. Oh, and the music has to come back. (shameless plug for my youtube video)

The music, while 60’s cheesy elevator, is still fun to listen to. Thanks for the YouTube link!

mickEblu

I didn't think Scott's post had anything to do with the PM given he was looking at the old Motor Boat queue area. I believe there was speculation a while ago about that being the Frozen area...could very well just be that. It would be great if D23 does include significant announcements for DL, including this Frozen area + a TL redo. As much as I doubt the PM source, I'd definitely love to see it come back.

Yeah I think the Fantasyland expansion is what he’s hitting at directly but the timing is interesting and I don’t think it’s unrelated to the PeopleMover rumors.

Disneyland is already so stacked with attractions. MMRR is on the way with another possible boat ride (Frozen) and the PeopleMover coming back too ? I don’t think any park will ever catch up. And definitely never in the boat ride category.

Anyway, everyone should get their last Autopia Forest Monorail rides in.

Last edited:

No Name

Any other interesting tidbits on that premium podcast? I looked up her podcast, found the Recent one on Universal and found out a Fast and the Furious coaster is coming to USH in 2024? In fact @egg it’s going right right where the Animal Actors studio and Special Effects stage go. It will also extend out onto the hillside along the escalators. Not quite sure how I feel about it. And why Fast n Furious? Has this been announced by Universal?
It hasn’t been announced, I think she started the rumor a few months ago and people have ran with it. But I believe her and wouldn’t be surprised if it happens. I never thought about the location (that means no Diagon Alley I guess) but I think this could be pretty cool with the drifting cars and the hillsides.

PiratesMansion

On the upside, FNF seems like a better fit for a coaster than that abomination on the studio tour.

On the downside, I love the special effects stage show. It's classic Universal and I'm sure they won't be relocating it elsewhere.

mickEblu

It hasn’t been announced, I think she started the rumor a few months ago and people have ran with it. But I believe her and wouldn’t be surprised if it happens. I never thought about the location (that means no Diagon Alley I guess) but I think this could be pretty cool with the drifting cars and the hillsides.

Wow they haven’t announced it and it’s supposed to be done in 2024?

No Name

Wow they haven’t announced it and it’s supposed to be done in 2024?
Hagrids was less than 2 years from announcement to opening too. It’s possible.

They didn’t announce Velocicoaster (their most recent) until it was already visibly under construction the track was completely built, and then it opened less than a year later, so who knows when they’ll actually announce it.

Last edited:

el_super

A PeopleMover return has to come with the Astro Orbitor moving back on the platform. It’s a package deal. Can’t have it blocking the TL entrance. Don’t half @$$ it Disney.

I don't know if i like that idea. Again, unless they tear down the whole thing and start over, the amount of weight they can have on that stand is limited, and would probably require having a very small/scaled down version of a spinner ride, with terrible capacity. It probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

If they are going to tear down the whole thing and build something new, they should bring in the jet pack ride from Shanghai... I actually liked that one.

mickEblu

I don't know if i like that idea. Again, unless they tear down the whole thing and start over, the amount of weight they can have on that stand is limited, and would probably require having a very small/scaled down version of a spinner ride, with terrible capacity. It probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

If they are going to tear down the whole thing and build something new, they should bring in the jet pack ride from Shanghai... I actually liked that one.

Oh I didn’t mean the actual Astro Orbitor. I just meant (insert futuristic spinner) on the top of the platform. I’d be ok with Rocket Jets. I’d be ok with TL 67. I watched @Stevek s great PeopleMover video yesterday and wow that land was just so pleasant to look at.

Stevek

Oh I didn’t mean the actual Astro Orbitor. I just meant (insert futuristic spinner) on the top of the platform. I’d be ok with Rocket Jets. I’d be ok with TL 67. I watched @Stevek s great PeopleMover video yesterday and wow that land was just so pleasant to look at.
Yep, that was the perfect Tomorrowland for me.

mickEblu

Yep, that was the perfect Tomorrowland for me.

By the time I was old enough to appreciate that kind of stuff it was the early 90s and the Tomorrowland from your videos was on life support. I’m ok with no skyway although I’d prefer it come back too of course. As long as they nail the entrance, move the spinner, and have the (colorful) PeopleMover vehicles moving around TL proper I’ll be happy. I’d be even happier of course if they can find proper replacements for Buzz and Nemo and bring back the Mary Blair mural.

If they are building Frozen in Fantasyland/ MotorBoat area and the northern half of Autopia I wonder if they re ok with just a smaller Autopia moving forward to keep the opening day classic around? Or if they’ll use the Southern half of Autopia, Nemo and Innoventions for something new one day. I think It gets easier to justify the space they take up when you eliminate half of Autopia and consider the novelty of the Subs and the atmosphere the lagoon provides.

Where would the PeopleMover Q go? In the 90s it was a walk on so I have no recollection of a Q. I know for the Rocket Rods they used the Buzz building but for PeopleMover I imagine it’ll just snake through the land somewhere (unless maybe launch Bay is still alive) as the ride is high capacity and should hold many people at once.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom