Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

el_super

I respect your opinion but I seriously doubt a corporation like Disney turn on a dime that fast and still make opening. Besides, we are talking China. There is no nostalgia factor for Tron there. It could have been a Cat from Out Space ride for all they knew.

If it wasnt a big success in 2010, why build another one in WDW in 2022?

The truth is, a bad property being tied to a good ride doesn't negate the good ride experience. Even if only fraction of the audience a seen Tron, they can still enjoy the ride.

The same holds true for putting Lightyear on Space Mountain. Put some logos, and some voice overs and music and it's essentially the same great ride. Just added depth for people that liked the movie.

Nland316

I will say the track and supports were surveyed recently and they are still load bearing.

I’ll also say pre covid the plan was removal.

Maybe DL Magic Bands will throw attention elsewhere.
Anything further you’re able to share about the recent TL rumors?

I recall there being speculation pre covid about the update being split into 2 different phases.

How has the planned evolved if you don’t mind sharing?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Anything further you’re able to share about the recent TL rumors?

I recall there being speculation pre covid about the update being split into 2 different phases.

How has the planned evolved if you don’t mind sharing?
Yes, pre covid there were 2 phases. Phase one including removing the track would have finished about now so we can see how that went.

So long as they don’t sacrifice half the land for another indoor rollercoaster in a box.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I have been on Disney forums (whether active or lurking) for 10+ years now and the Tomorrowland and PM rumors were flying then and they will be flying still in another 10 years. I've heard more than I can count now and every one is always "This just might be the actual legit one this time!".

The blogs use it for clicks, and the "insiders" use it for clout. Nothing more. It's actually quite comical at this point.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I respect your opinion but I seriously doubt a corporation like Disney turn on a dime that fast and still make opening. Besides, we are talking China. There is no nostalgia factor for Tron there. It could have been a Cat from Out Space ride for all they knew.
Thanks, I respect your opinion as well.

My point is they made a conscious decision to move forward with the Tron theme even though they didn't have to. The box office had little impact, they hadn't broke ground yet, so weren't so far into the project that it wasn't able to be stopped. We've seen Disney literally cancel projects ready to break ground before (and sometimes even after they break ground), so its not like they couldn't have done it here if they thought the Tron box office was going to cause the project to fail.

The nostalgia factor is the continuation of the theme into other Parks, despite the lack luster box office.

PiratesMansion

I would only support the return of PM if it’s significantly updated. I enjoyed the ride recently at MK, but man. It could use some love and attention.
I watched an old video of the DL Peoplemover and while the track layout was probably more interesting (and definitely longer) than WDW's, man was that thing clunky. I can absolutely see why they wanted to replace it.

As for the monorail, yikes. I just...that whole corner of the park is full of aging rides and is probably objectively a poor use of space for the park today. I recognize that it's probably not possible to do something to that space and leave the monorail as is. I know that the minute the subs can't be used, they're gone. But that they would just rip out the monorail without a second thought doesn't make me feel particularly great. The monorail is an icon. How do you just tear out an icon?

Last edited:

mickEblu

I watched an old video of the DL Peoplemover and while the track layout was probably more interesting (and definitely longer) than WDW's, man was that thing clunky. I can absolutely see why they wanted to replace it.

As for the monorail, yikes. I just...that whole corner of the park is full of aging rides and is probably objectively a poor use of space for the park today. I recognize that it's probably not possible to do something to that space and leave the monorail as is. I know that the minute the subs. But that they would just rip it out without a second thought doesn't make me feel particularly great. The monorail is an icon. How do you just tear out an icon?

Woah woah woah I was concerned about that post and I wasn’t even thinking about the possibility of ripping out the monorail. I doubt he would post a picture of an icon like the monorail to say” at work, getting rid of a Walt classic.” At least I hope not. I think at worst they we would reroute it, do a Fantaysland expansion there and get rid of a whole lot of trees.

I also thought maybe he was just confirming the peoplemover rumors.

PiratesMansion

Woah woah woah I was concerned about that post and I wasn’t even thinking about the possibility of ripping out the monorail. I doubt he would post a picture of an icon like the monorail to say” at work, getting rid of a Walt classic.” At least I hope not. I think at worst they we would reroute it, do a Fantaysland expansion there and get rid of a whole lot of trees.

I also thought maybe he was just confirming the peoplemover rumors.
I was going more off of Marni's post.

He's very well-informed, so if he says they were going to rip out the monorail, I believe him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom