Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

mickEblu

So Scott Trowbridge goes to Disneyland and films the motor boat area and somehow that has to do with the People Mover? Can't the guy go to Disneyland and take videos with him like everyone else? I guess I didn't notice the trash can in the picture was moved. That always means heavy construction is coming around here.

After Galaxy's Edge, do we really trust Scott Trowbridge?

Short answer? No, hahah.

But to play Devils advocate, if we throw out all the roleplaying landlocked “story” stuff from Galaxies Edge and consider what Chapek probably cut and just focus on ROTR and the husk of the land it’s not far off from being great with some tweaks. Also as much I don’t give imagineers the benefit of the doubt these days I believe they take major changes to Disneyland proper a lot more seriously than DCA or Galaxies Edge that’s invisible from most of the park.

el_super

If they go through with Tron of course then bigger changes would happen. But surely they’re not that daft.

One would hope but here we are...

I would think whatever justification they had for removing the entire back half of Tomorrowland for Star Wars back in 2015, probably still holds true today.

britain

Short answer? No, hahah.

But to play Devils advocate, if we throw out all the roleplaying landlocked “story” stuff from Galaxies Edge and consider what Chapek probably cut and just focus on ROTR and the husk of the land it’s not far off from being great with some tweaks. Also as much I don’t give imagineers the benefit of the doubt these days I believe they take major changes to Disneyland proper a lot more seriously than DCA or Galaxies Edge that’s invisible from most of the park.

Trowbridge knows how to put together a high quality experience. I don’t blame him for Lucasfilm’s timeline requirements or for budget cuts. If the “Bantha-mover” in his team’s original concept art proves anything it’s that he knows how special those minor attractions can be.

CaptinEO

Trowbridge knows how to put together a high quality experience. I don’t blame him for Lucasfilm’s timeline requirements or for budget cuts. If the “Bantha-mover” in his team’s concept art proves anything it’s that he knows how those special those side attractions can be.
Towbridge had a great design approved but the company chiseled everything away from it.

Stevek

If Scott is involved, I have to assume it is something bigger than the Peoplemover that he is focused on.
I didn't think Scott's post had anything to do with the PM given he was looking at the old Motor Boat queue area. I believe there was speculation a while ago about that being the Frozen area...could very well just be that. It would be great if D23 does include significant announcements for DL, including this Frozen area + a TL redo. As much as I doubt the PM source, I'd definitely love to see it come back.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

I didn't think Scott's post had anything to do with the PM given he was looking at the old Motor Boat queue area. I believe there was speculation a while ago about that being the Frozen area...could very well just be that. It would be great if D23 does include significant announcements for DL, including this Frozen area + a TL redo. As much as I doubt the PM source, I'd definitely love to see it come back.

He was also recently on a trip to Iceland which is interesting. Of course could just be vacation... or?

Nland316

If we’re talking e-tickets, I would honestly prefer the new SM that Tokyo is getting instead of Tron.

Bring back the PM, update aesthetic and effects on buzz, move the rockets back to the OG spot, bring Space 202 over, and put something Big Hero 6 where Star Tours is.

Sounds like the most ideal scenario for me personally.

PiratesMansion

Does anyone really care about the ride system? As long as they look up and see those colorful beauties moving around?
I do think some degree of modernization is necessary. Those old peoplemover vehicles were quite clunky by 1990, let alone in 2022.

Even the WDW system that's not that much younger is sleeker and less dated looking.

Stevek

I do think some degree of modernization is necessary. Those old peoplemover vehicles were quite clunky by 1990, let alone in 2022.

Even the WDW system that's not that much younger is sleeker and less dated looking.

Absolutely agree...I would imagine that we'd 100% get something fresh, modern and smooth. Oh, and the music has to come back. (shameless plug for my youtube video)

lazyboy97o

That can have a couple of different meanings though.... Structurally Viable could just mean that it's A-OK to leave it standing for a few more years while a more ambitious plan is created. The other issues over clearance and emergency egress would still need to be resolved, and the only real way to do that with the current track, would be to shut down and completely rebuild and reconfigure the Star Tours/Star Trader/Space Mountain segments and then rework the segments over the Submarines and Autopia. I'd imagine adding egress paths around the Autopia track would be .... complicated.

Unless of course you were just planning to tear it all down and start over.
Or you use requirements for existing facilities and design the ride to stop in specific places.

If Scott is involved, I have to assume it is something bigger than the Peoplemover that he is focused on.
He is the portfolio executive for Disneyland, so he would be involved in any project.

Californian Elitist

YIKES. Super clunky, indeed.

I look at this video and think, I don’t want this ride to return unless it’s updated. New vehicles, a new track, and new scenery in the buildings with NO Star Wars or Marvel references, but something that’s actually relevant to the future, and I’m in.

Consumer

I just love the aesthetic of the white People Mover cars with the colored stripe. This whole look for Tomorrowland was just fantastic. How I wish we could return to this.

1657834491138.png

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

After Galaxy's Edge, do we really trust Scott Trowbridge?

The guy produced The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man and Rise of the Resistance. Maybe not everyone’s cup of tea, but those two projects are pretty unimpeachable.

I’m hindsight, Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland probably shouldn’t have happened. Should’ve been a single ride (at DCA, if anything). Not sure we should blame imagineering for that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom