Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

mickEblu

Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t understand why people jump to the assumption that an updated PM is impossible to build. There’s no question in my mind that the current tracks would be demo’d regardless of what a land update entails, so there wouldn’t be any hassle of restabilizing and retrofitting anything.

The ride system’s concept is rather simple and there are quite a few similar attractions elsewhere with no issue running from a logistical or financial standpoint.

Even Galaxy’s Edge had a PM esque ride initially planned with the bantha’s..

I don’t think people think it can’t be done. I think people don’t think current Disney would spend the money required to tear down tracks and build a new one for an attraction like the PeopleMover. I’ve always maintained it was possible and that I hope they bring it back in some form. If this rumor is true it would be a sign that they are taking a TL redo seriously. Next I hope they get rid of that concept art with the Astro Orbitor still present at the front of the land.

Disstevefan1

I would love to see them bring back the people mover, but they MUST spend money on more important things like re theming Splash Mountain and Reimagine tomorrow....

el_super

Alice was built in a different time, but TRON at least made $400m on a $170m budget. Taking in account the cost of marketing (double), that's still a $50m+ profit.

Lightyear has (currently) made $205m on a $200m budget. Taking in account the cost of marketing, that's nearly a $200m loss for the company. That's a certified bomb.

Alice was an absolute bomb for the company, and they still dedicated two attractions to the property.

TRON made an OK amount of money, but was still seen as a disappointment at the time.There are certainly more good reasons why TRON and Lightyear are incompatible though, the pandemic being one of them.

Lightyear can and probably will make the company money, in the long run. Maybe not as much as some other properties, but it's too soon to completely write it off yet. Maybe in 40 years it will get a sequel.

Tying Lightyear as a property to a successful theme park concept (like Space Mountain) could eventually boost numbers for the film, so it might still be worth it from a theme park level.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t understand why people jump to the assumption that an updated PM is impossible to build. There’s no question in my mind that the current tracks would be demo’d regardless of what a land update entails, so there wouldn’t be any hassle of restabilizing and retrofitting anything.

The ride system’s concept is rather simple and there are quite a few similar attractions elsewhere with no issue running from a logistical or financial standpoint.

Even Galaxy’s Edge had a PM esque ride initially planned with the bantha’s..
I don't think the idea was that it can't be done from a technological sense, but that it wouldn't be done due to the cost associated with the project. Which if you look at it is the same reason why the Bantha project got scraped, cost.

So while yes it can be done, the question is if current Disney is willing to spend the money it would take to bring PM back. That is what we're waiting to find out with this rumor.

PiratesMansion

Alice was an absolute bomb for the company, and they still dedicated two attractions to the property.

TRON made an OK amount of money, but was still seen as a disappointment at the time.There are certainly more good reasons why TRON and Lightyear are incompatible though, the pandemic being one of them.

Lightyear can and probably will make the company money, in the long run. Maybe not as much as some other properties, but it's too soon to completely write it off yet. Maybe in 40 years it will get a sequel.

Tying Lightyear as a property to a successful theme park concept (like Space Mountain) could eventually boost numbers for the film, so it might still be worth it from a theme park level.
Alice and Tron both became theme park attractions despite being bombs and having flawed stories because they have compelling environments. And despite Disney's best efforts to convince us otherwise, ultimately compelling environments often make better theme park attractions than great stories, particularly within their own theme park gates.

Pandora works for that exact reason; no one cares about the actual characters of the blue aliens movie or the story. But it has a novel environment, and so the land works like gangbusters just by being an interesting place to spend time in.

As much as people love the Harry Potter books and characters, the reason the land works is because the films created environments that people wanted to experience for themselves. If those films didn't make those environments so appealing, the land would not have happened or been the gamechanger that it was.

Does Lightyear actually have interesting environments, or is it a mediocre film benefitting from being attached to a franchise that the company just won't stop milking to death?

Phroobar

The Tron coaster came about because Disney thought the movie would be a hit. By the time the movie did come out it was too late to stop the centerpiece attraction for Shanghai's Tomorrowland. It is only because it was a popular ride that it got cloned at the MK.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
A ride system similar to The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride would be relatively inexpensive and would get the Di-hards to shut up for a while about the People Mover. Would also allow them to profit off of all the vintage People Mover merch they would certainly sell. If "that site" is correct that the layout would be considerably shorter than the previous layout, that also saves a bunch of money... again, give the fans what they think they want without actually giving them what they want (just like they did with Genie+)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The Tron coaster came about because Disney thought the movie would be a hit. By the time the movie did come out it was too late to stop the centerpiece attraction for Shanghai's Tomorrowland. It is only because it was a popular ride that it got cloned at the MK.
Tron Legacy came out in 2010, construction for Shanghai Disneyland didn't even start until 2011. So they already knew the movie wasn't a success by the time construction started.

Tron Lightcycles Power Run was to be their Space Mountain. They could have switched themes at any point prior to the 2016 opening if they were really that concerned by it being linked to an "unsuccessful" franchise. Heck they could have left everything exactly the same and called it Space Mountain. But they didn't likely because they knew they wanted to bring it to other Parks that already had a Space Mountain.

Honestly its only on sites like this that anyone is even caring that its tied to Tron.

Phroobar

Tron Legacy came out in 2010, construction for Shanghai Disneyland didn't even start until 2011. So they already knew the movie wasn't a success by the time construction started.

Tron Lightcycles Power Run was to be their Space Mountain. They could have switched themes at any point prior to the 2016 opening if they were really that concerned by it being linked to an "unsuccessful" franchise. Heck they could have left everything exactly the same and called it Space Mountain. But they didn't likely because they knew they wanted to bring it to other Parks that already had a Space Mountain.

Honestly its only on sites like this that anyone is even caring that its tied to Tron.
Except it takes years of planning and off site construction before any onsite construction starts. Disney was already heavily invested in Tron before the movie was released. They also had a opening date to deal with. They couldn't drop everything and start over just because the movie underperformed and still meet parking opening deadlines.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Except it takes years of planning and off site construction before any onsite construction starts. Disney was already heavily invested in Tron before the movie was released. They also had a opening date to deal with. They couldn't drop everything and start over just because the movie underperformed and still meet parking opening deadlines.
Who said anything about starting over, like I mentioned they could have dropped the Tron theme and kept everything else the same, calling it something different and still kept their investment and opening date. Think about it, besides the ride vehicles looking like Lightcycles, what is there that is really Tron? Not much, which by the way is one of the complaints on sites like this about the ride.

But they wanted to kept the Tron theme even after the movie underperformed. Because despite the movie box office Tron is actually a legacy franchise that ties back to Disney, so its got the nostalgia factor. And by all accounts its popular.

Again its only on sites like this that anyone actually cares that its tied to an franchise that didn't do well at the box office. To the public, they like to ride in the Grid.

Newtwo

It's also way cheaper to build a ride the second time.

I've ridden it in Shanghai. It's my favorite ride at any Disney park (I have bee to them all). People are going to flip their when it opens here.

Phroobar

Who said anything about starting over, like I mentioned they could have dropped the Tron theme and kept everything else the same, calling it something different and still kept their investment and opening date. Think about it, besides the ride vehicles looking like Lightcycles, what is there that is really Tron? Not much, which by the way is one of the complaints on sites like this about the ride.

But they wanted to kept the Tron theme even after the movie underperformed. Because despite the movie box office Tron is actually a legacy franchise that ties back to Disney, so its got the nostalgia factor. And by all accounts its popular.

Again its only on sites like this that anyone actually cares that its tied to an franchise that didn't do well at the box office. To the public, they like to ride in the Grid.
I respect your opinion but I seriously doubt a corporation like Disney turn on a dime that fast and still make opening. Besides, we are talking China. There is no nostalgia factor for Tron there. It could have been a Cat from Out Space ride for all they knew.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom