Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

Phroobar

More variations of AI-generated concept art since we may as well speculate some more (on a side note, when will we get back to concept art that looks like this instead of the poorly photoshopped images that have been favored as of late?):

View attachment 652533

View attachment 652528
This stuff looks like classic Disney rather than the MS Paint done by the unpaid intern Disney has been feeding us.

I assume I have to paid subscription on Discord to get my pictures?

waltography

This stuff looks like classic Disney rather than the MS Paint done by the unpaid intern Disney has been feeding us.

I assume I have to paid subscription on Discord to get my pictures?
I received like 25 free queries when I signed up for the waitlist and have been just using those thus far. Still waiting to hear back from DALL-E 2, though I doubt I'll get access to that anytime soon as that's the more well-known GAN.

You can always right-click and save the images/get a screen grab of the images it creates from the queries.

Last edited:

Stevek

Not impossible but highly unlikely. More possible if they teardown most of the existing buildings, which they would probably need to do anyway if they were going to build TRON.
They are saying shortened track, new ride system. It was my understanding that using any of the existing track would be challenging given the OHSA requirements. Who knows, may just be Tommy Boy feeding us more garbage though I would welcome their return.

el_super

They are saying shortened track, new ride system. It was my understanding that using any of the existing track would be challenging given the OHSA requirements. Who knows, may just be Tommy Boy feeding us more garbage though I would welcome their return.

Yeah several sections of the old track do not meet the 36" clearence requirements, and altering it would mean significant construction on load bearing elements. It's not impossible just not likely, since you are looking at spending $200+ million for what is essentially an A ticket experience.

It wouldn't be surprising if some wires are getting crossed or mis-communicated from WDI... As in this is just blue sky planning or planning for another park or experience.

But anything is possible at Disneyland.

Phroobar

I think we are getting a rebuilt People Mover based on the Pixar movie Onward. We all get to ride in 70s Chev Vans with thick pile carpeting as we look for the sword that is only found in Fantasyland.

Interesting what gets censored. I guess this is a British site. I guess we can't say gy and Scooby.

Last edited:

Stevek

From Tony Baxter in 2012 (and yes, a lot can change in 10 years):

Well yesterday at the Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet Disney Imagineer gave us a status update. He said that unfortunately the PeopleMover would NOT be returning. There are a couple reasons why. First the track has deteriorated in several places and would have to be replaced. Second, since they closed the attraction down for Rocket Rods the PeopleMover would have to be updated to current OSHA regulations. This means that several things would have to be done. First they would have to add railings to the track in case of evacuations. They would also have to add stairways along the track to take people down. Then the track would have to be enclosed (or the vehicles would) so that people could not reach out and touch the walls as you enter buildings. Baxter said that they have been working on it for years in an attempt to figure something out. Ultimately it is just not feasible. The cost would be huge for very little return and the ride would be ugly.

Consumer

If box office performance was an indicator of whether a property deserved a park presence, then we would need to talk about TRON. Or even Alice.
Alice was built in a different time, but TRON at least made $400m on a $170m budget. Taking in account the cost of marketing (double), that's still a $50m+ profit.

Lightyear has (currently) made $205m on a $200m budget. Taking in account the cost of marketing, that's nearly a $200m loss for the company. That's a certified bomb.

Tha Realest

Alice was built in a different time, but TRON at least made $400m on a $170m budget. Taking in account the cost of marketing (double), that's still a $50m+ profit.

Lightyear has (currently) made $205m on a $200m budget. Taking in account the cost of marketing, that's nearly a $200m loss for the company. That's a certified bomb.
Yes, TRON's problem was that it was not as big of a success as other live action franchises they had in the pipeline at the time (Pirates, Marvel, and soon to be Star Wars), not that it lost money.

mickEblu

Yeah several sections of the old track do not meet the 36" clearence requirements, and altering it would mean significant construction on load bearing elements. It's not impossible just not likely, since you are looking at spending $200+ million for what is essentially an A ticket experience.

It wouldn't be surprising if some wires are getting crossed or mis-communicated from WDI... As in this is just blue sky planning or planning for another park or experience.

But anything is possible at Disneyland.

I mean better than spending $200 million + to retheme existing popular rides and lands.

See Mission Breakout, Pixar Pier, Tiana’s Bayou Adventure.

Suspirian

Yes, TRON's problem was that it was not as big of a success as other live action franchises they had in the pipeline at the time (Pirates, Marvel, and soon to be Star Wars), not that it lost money.
I still worry that current disney may not see Lightyears box office performance as an issue considering he's already an established character and Disney+ can give it a second chance.

mickEblu

The fact that the new peoplemover tracks aren’t extending out into the Autopia/ Nemo area give this rumor a little credibility IMO. Granted it’s cheaper for them to do so but I assume they’d also want to avoid that area for future attractions.

mickEblu

Is there even really a point to short people mover that doesn’t trek across the whole land? The rides whole function was to give you a tour of the land a nice long break. A short peoplemover ride doesn’t do either effectively. Not to mention doesn’t provide as much kinetic energy if it just circles around Tomorrowland proper.

EDIT: unless of course it’s not going over Autopia and the Subs because they will be part of Fantasyland soon.

Last edited:

Phroobar

I mean better than spending $200 million + to retheme existing popular rides and lands.

See Mission Breakout, Pixar Pier, Tiana’s Bayou Adventure.
Every time I read Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, I think The Adventures of Bayou Billy on the NES. That would be a great counter to Super Nintendo World.

bayou1.jpg

Nland316

Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t understand why people jump to the assumption that an updated PM is impossible to build. There’s no question in my mind that the current tracks would be demo’d regardless of what a land update entails, so there wouldn’t be any hassle of restabilizing and retrofitting anything.

The ride system’s concept is rather simple and there are quite a few similar attractions elsewhere with no issue running from a logistical or financial standpoint.

Even Galaxy’s Edge had a PM esque ride initially planned with the bantha’s..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom