Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

Purduevian

I have 2 things to add to this thread.

1)I saw just about every Pixar movie in theaters before the pandemic. Now I am waiting to see Lightyear on D+ because
a)I know it will be there soon
b)The last 4 pixar movies weren't great to me (Onward, Soul, Luca, and Turning Red). None of them grab me like Incredibles, Monsters inc, ect. They more seem in line with Cars to me

2) After visiting Disneyland for the first time ever... Tomorrowland is just sad. The empty People mover tracks, the empty center (where people mover and astro used to be) and the massive closed launch bay were just all so odd. When I was walking through Nemo was behind walls and Hyperspace was also down. It just felt so dead once I walked back past ST and Buzz until I made it to the Matterhorn.

EPCOT-O.G.

The losses this film is expected to incur put it in the following territory - THE LONE RANGER, JOHN CARTER, TOMORROWLAND, TREASURE PLANET, ATLANTIS: THE LOST EMPIRE. Many of those films had plans which involved reworked attractions, a few in Tomorrowland itself. None of them happened.

truecoat

The losses this film is expected to incur put it in the following territory - THE LONE RANGER, JOHN CARTER, TOMORROWLAND, TREASURE PLANET, ATLANTIS: THE LOST EMPIRE. Many of those films had plans which involved reworked attractions, a few in Tomorrowland itself. None of them happened.

Keanu Reeves Matrix GIF by PeacockTV

Brer Panther

There were plans for a Treasure Planet attraction?

J4546

I like the PatF retheme in DL. It fits the area and If it looks as good as the concept art it could be a homerun imo.

As for MK, I am wating to see how they incorporate it into frontier land. I think they should build a new orleans waterfront area on RoA in the northeast quadrant of the river, behind HM and give it a headlining ride with Tiana headlining it as well as a restauraunt and new train station

britain

I like the PatF retheme in DL. It fits the area and If it looks as good as the concept art it could be a homerun imo.

As for MK, I am wating to see how they incorporate it into frontier land. I think they should build a new orleans waterfront area on RoA in the northeast quadrant of the river, behind HM and give it a headlining ride with Tiana headlining it as well as a restauraunt and new train station

They aren’t going to do a thing to make it fit better in WDW.

D.Silentu

Seriously though, I would love to see a reskin of the submarines into the underwater portions of Avatar Way of Water.
When this notion first came up on the boards a while ago it was more positively received than I expected. I suppose it makes sense because the environment of Avatar was the film's greatest feature. Equally praised was the 3D and rumors of the sequel claim that the new technology is even more impressive. With that in mind I'll hitch a ride on the bandwagon and make a controversial proposition.

If an Avatar attraction had to go anywhere at Disneyland, it ought to be the Magic Eye Theater. Aside from the bonus of replacing Disney's flavor of the month showcase, the attraction would return to its 3D roots, featuring the latest developments in that field. Intrinsically, it would take advantage of the most celebrated aspect of the film and presumably the sequels: the planet Pandora realized in 3D. Personally, I would appreciate another attraction at the park that allows me to rest a bit while being entertained.

I realize conventional wisdom is that 3D movie based attractions don't have staying power thanks to their repetitive nature. I would posit that there simply hasn't been one built that takes advantage of contemporary advancements. Star Tours, for example, has multiple sequences that play at random and an attraction film could adopt this method. What I think is even more exciting is the possibility of such a spontaneous approach to the 3D elements! The combined variety of different films in tandem with equally unpredictable 3D effects would foster repeat visits. Not to mention it's easy to imagine a theater filled with those floating luminescent jellyfish creatures.

The Magic Eye Theater already has a motion base to help sell the experience, perhaps of us landing on another planet. In theatre projection mapping is already being used by Universal with fantastic results. Incorporate the institutional mainstays of water spritzes, compressed air bursts, and scents and all put together I believe you have the recipe for a brand new kind of experience. I daresay it could be possible to blur the line between a 3D movie and a ride. Perhaps the most impressive show of this kind that I've ever seen was Terminator 2-3D, specifically the first and third act. This could be the next evolution of that sort of adventure and it may be fate that it stems from another James Cameron creation.

Last edited:

Phroobar

When this notion first came up on the boards a while ago it was more positively received than I expected. I suppose it makes sense because the environment of Avatar was the film's greatest feature. Equally praised was the 3D and rumors of the sequel claim that the new technology is even more impressive. With that in mind I'll hitch a ride on the bandwagon and make a controversial proposition.

If an Avatar attraction had to go anywhere at Disneyland, it ought to be the Magic Eye Theater. Aside from the bonus of replacing Disney's flavor of the month showcase, the attraction would return to its 3D roots, featuring the latest developments in that field. Intrinsically, it would take advantage of the most celebrated aspect of the film and presumably the sequels: the planet Pandora realized in 3D. Personally, I would appreciate another attraction at the park that allows me to rest a bit while being entertained.

I realize conventional wisdom is that 3D movie based attractions don't have staying power thanks to their repetitive nature. I would posit that there simply hasn't been one built that takes advantage of contemporary advancements. Star Tours, for example, has multiple sequences that play at random and an attraction film could adopt this method. What I think is even more exciting is the possibility of such a spontaneous approach to the 3D elements! The combined variety of different films in tandem with equally unpredictable 3D effects would foster repeat visits. Not to mention it's easy to imagine a theater filled with those floating luminescent jellyfish creatures.

The Magic Eye Theater already has a motion base to help sell the experience, perhaps of us landing on another planet. In theatre projection mapping is already being used by Universal with fantastic results. Incorporate the institutional mainstays of water spritzes, compressed air bursts, and scents and all put together I believe you have the recipe for a brand new kind of experience. I daresay it could be possible to blur the line between a 3D movie and a ride. Perhaps the most impressive show of this kind that I've ever seen was Terminator 2-3D, specifically the first and third act. This could be the next evolution of that sort of adventure and it may be fate that it stems from another James Cameron creation.
I think you have a great idea there and it is likely something they could do on the cheap to promote the movie. I like the randomizing branching movie and the use of the motion base. I hope the motion base still works. It's been a long time since they used that spot. It is a very good idea and I would totally support that until they build a real attraction for the franchise (ie indoor Avatar-Coaster)

waltography

Been playing around with Midjourney (another image GAN like DALL-E 2 if anyone's familiar with that) and I fed it the prompt "Disneyland Tomorrowland redesigned, biophilic ecofuturism, drawn as concept art" and I have to say this is about as good a future as I can imagine for Tomorrowland (or perhaps EPCOT, judging by the familiar sphere in the distance).

1657513266585.png

(Also, the future is wild. These generators are so fun.)

No Name

Been playing around with Midjourney (another image GAN like DALL-E 2 if anyone's familiar with that) and I fed it the prompt "Disneyland Tomorrowland redesigned, biophilic ecofuturism, drawn as concept art" and I have to say this is about as good a future as I can imagine for Tomorrowland (or perhaps EPCOT, judging by the familiar sphere in the distance).

View attachment 652369

This is awesome! For anyone who’s unaware, this image was literally created by an AI in seconds.

I am not in the Midjourney beta yet but fed Dalle Mini “Bob Chapek holding light saber” and got this:

1657516055454.jpg

The AI chose a different color lightsaber than I would’ve!

britain

View attachment 652369

Somehow the MST3K crew is in your concept art. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom