Disney Survey on implementing a $15 resort fee

EOD K9

I would assume the survey was instigated, rather than simply a follow-up. My last stay was back in Dec, and I got this survey back on March 8.. when this news was all happening. So I think this was a 'lets create a survey, and we'll just include all people from last X months'
I was there in Dec too so who knows.

imthewalrus79

How far in debt are they on Shanghai.....

Not only that, but let's not forget how much over budget the implementation of the Magicband technology throughout the resort went. I guess this is a thought of how they can recoup that money.

Quite frankly, staying at a Disney Resort is already more expensive than an off-site option. But I always considered the Magic Express, the Extra Magic Hours and transportation around the resort part of that reason and a good enough reason to pay that little bit more. But now if they want to charge another $15 per night for those extras, they'll never see me at one of their resorts again. And since I'll be staying off-site and renting a car, that will most likely mean less time at Disney and visiting other sites in the area.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Say no more. I know all I need to know.

Actually you don't. In this case the room was a grand villa and I'm long term DVC with north of 800 points. This early AM annoyance habit only began a couple of years ago. 9:30-10 am yeah that's reasonable for a FIRST check and that's what it was for years 7:45 is way too early and no hotel worth it's stars would be harassing the guests in the suites at that hour

NelsonRD

The post I responded to was deleted. You don't even know what I was talking about.

Very well. As I was breezing this tread there were posts about the evil business needing the government to fix everything, and that is not necessarily the best answer. Yours was the one I happened to reply to.

Glasgow

Resort fee won't affect us and won't affect our decision to stay onsite .. becaaaause .. we've already cut our trips down to once every two years, sadly (from once a year). The overall value proposition versus expansion and content has already made the decision for us. They can stuff their resort fee. We've already hit our breaking point and it wasn't due to a few issues here and there .. it was the holistic decision to keep raising costs over a 10 year period without giving back. Will SWL and TSL change that? Maybe. But by then the kids will be older and won't want to go back as often, if at all. Congrats on the profit taking strategy, WDW management.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
All my fault. I've tried to really ramp up my monthly cash outlays to the TWDC, but I guess I'm still not doing enough. I'll just let the credit union know that I want the entirety of my salary direct deposited into Disney's electronic coffers. On a side note, I'm learning that 4 or 5 refrigerator boxes if placed at the proper angles can create a very comfortable abode. I really hope Disney finds a way to get back on their feet soon!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Very well. As I was breezing this tread there were posts about the evil business needing the government to fix everything, and that is not necessarily the best answer. Yours was the one I happened to reply to.
The government has no place telling hotels how much they can or should charge for rooms, but that isn't what we are talking about here. These resort fees are nothing more than a bait and switch technique that hides the true cost of the room from the consumer. That is absolutely something that the government can and should stop. There is no valid business reason for resort fees. Their only purpose is to make the room rates seem lower when searching online and comparing room rates. Since there is no way to opt out of the resort fees they should be required to be displayed as part of the total room cost per night.

wannabeBelle

The government has no place telling hotels how much they can or should charge for rooms, but that isn't what we are talking about here. These resort fees are nothing more than a bait and switch technique that hides the true cost of the room from the consumer. That is absolutely something that the government can and should stop. There is no valid business reason for resort fees. Their only purpose is to make the room rates seem lower when searching online and comparing room rates. Since there is no way to opt out of the resort fees they should be required to be displayed as part of the total room cost per night.
Kind of exactly what the government has done with airlines and their fees. Transparency is key here and THAT I do agree with. I want to know what I am paying for a flight, a hotel room, etc. Before the intervention, you really couldnt compare flights on an equal basis. Now you can, for the most part. Also I would think that the LAST thing Disney would want is for the government to be looking at them. Oh it wont be Disney only, but I am sure that they will be brought up as one of the major players. I am not a fan of big government, but this may be coming to the point where the oversight is needed. Marie

NelsonRD

I agree, however, I disagree that there is no business model for fees. Although this discussion is about resort fees, as I stated earlier, fees, properly implemented in general, are not necessarily a bad thing, as it allows people to pay for what they actually plan on using. For example, I do not check luggage when I travel overnight, so I do not pay the checked luggage fee. If (IF) the fee is only applied to those using the service, then the fee is only paid when I place value, otherwise, it put the wifi, pool, water, phone, etc, all in the same category as the spa, restaurant, gift shops, and anything else that is extra if you so desire to use it. However, I do not agree such a fee should be implemented and applied universally.

willtravel

I usually look at Expedia for hotel rates. Just to get a ball park figure on rates wherever I go on vacation. From what I can see, if you move curser down it show's all the fee's a hotel charges. I have 6 hotel's booked in July for a vacation out west. Each individual site showed any additional fee's if charged also. Just need to search a little.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree, however, I disagree that there is no business model for fees. Although this discussion is about resort fees, as I stated earlier, fees, properly implemented in general, are not necessarily a bad thing, as it allows people to pay for what they actually plan on using. For example, I do not check luggage when I travel overnight, so I do not pay the checked luggage fee. If (IF) the fee is only applied to those using the service, then the fee is only paid when I place value, otherwise, it put the wifi, pool, water, phone, etc, all in the same category as the spa, restaurant, gift shops, and anything else that is extra if you so desire to use it. However, I do not agree such a fee should be implemented and applied universally.
I never said there is no business model where additional fees are acceptable. These resort fees have no opt out. If I don't want to pay a baggage fee I can fly light and not check a bag. Fees that are a la carte are perfectly fine as long as they are spelled out when booking. This is common with things like parking and even fitness centers and wi-if. If I want to park at the hotel it's $20 a night. If I don't have a car I pay nothing.

If a fee is mandatory then it's just part of the room cost and should be advertised as so. Keep in mind too that with airfare you pay online in advance for the ticket as the final step to book. You at least see your total. With a lot of hotels you pay at checkout. The resort fee is buried in the fine print when you book so when you check out and get your bill that's the first time people even notice it. That's just dishonest.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I usually look at Expedia for hotel rates. Just to get a ball park figure on rates wherever I go on vacation. From what I can see, if you move curser down it show's all the fee's a hotel charges. I have 6 hotel's booked in July for a vacation out west. Each individual site showed any additional fee's if charged also. Just need to search a little.
The fees will always be there somewhere or the hotel would be breaking current laws.

The point is that these resort fees serve no other purpose than to "trick" consumers. I travel a decent amount (I'm sitting at Philadelphia Intl Airport right now typing this). I know where to look for the fees. Not everyone who travels does. Legislation to prevent this practice would be to protect all consumers. I can't think of one good justification a hotel operator could give for charging these fees. If you want $30 a night more raise your room rate.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Presumably this is being instituted as a result of guest demand. :rolleyes:

I wonder if DVC members staying on points will have to pay this fee in cash on top. That would not make me a happy camper. :mad:

Me neither....

willtravel

The fees will always be there somewhere or the hotel would be breaking current laws.

The point is that these resort fees serve no other purpose than to "trick" consumers. I travel a decent amount (I'm sitting at Philadelphia Intl Airport right now typing this). I know where to look for the fees. Not everyone who travels does. Legislation to prevent this practice would be to protect all consumers. I can't think of one good justification a hotel operator could give for charging these fees. If you want $30 a night more raise your room rate.
Then I guess you can say that about the airline industry also. That too should be regulated by this government. Because they sure do not make it easy to see what there fee's are up front. I am not defending a resort fee. I too believe it is a cash grab, but as an adult traveling, I am responsible to read a website to see if there are any extra or hidden fee's whether it be for paring, pet's, resort, extra person.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Then I guess you can say that about the airline industry also. That too should be regulated by this government. Because they sure do not make it easy to see what there fee's are up front. I am not defending a resort fee. I too believe it is a cash grab, but as an adult traveling, I am responsible to read a website to see if there are any extra or hidden fee's whether it be for paring, pet's, resort, extra person.

Airline fares USED to be regulated by the government through the Civil Aeronautics Board - regulated both route and ticket prices. But the industry was deregulated in the 1970s under the Carter Administration. Which is why we now have carriers like JetBlue, SouthWest, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom