Disney Survey on implementing a $15 resort fee

alissafalco

For a little perspective, I just booked a room in Chicago for April 6, going to see David Gilmour. I get to pay $56 to self park my car overnight.
To be fair that's the case in any major city because land is expensive Orlando especially WDW does not have a scarcity of land issue
Yes, its a minimum of at least $60 a night for any hotel in Manhattan.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
It irritates me so much when people talk about Tokyo Disneyland as something they'd love to do 'one day', but you can tell they have no intention of actually going through with it. Then in just a few months those same people will be eagerly planning WDW trips and booking restaurants 180 days out etc... Just go to Tokyo, it's cheaper than WDW for many people, and will be a far more memorable vacation.

Anyone going to WDW year in year out, but who has never been to Tokyo, is insane in my view, when the all-in price (food, loding, airfare, tickets) for most people are pretty much comparable.
Yup, someday. But for us, airfare to Tokyo alone is more than triple what we ever spend on a WDW vacation, so it is on our bucket list, and we will go someday.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
With check-in time of 4PM, check-out time of 11AM, a Disney hotel night is 19 hours. So a night in the Poly bungalows is about $130 per hour. There's a lot you can buy for an hour for that money!

For the cost of one night in the bungalows, you could buy 19 nights in a suite at the Doubletree Suites or the Sheraton at Disney Springs.

Or do the bungalows hold some super valuable secret experience that makes it totally worthwhile?
Quite obviously, you aren't the target audience for a bungalow, so get over it.

bunnyman

My biggest gripe is that they sucked everyone in with the free Magical Express (to keep you on WDW property and not spend your $$ elsewhere), they give you free on property transportation, free parking, they give you free magic bands and the wifi to support it, all the while they have you pay for those things via higher and higher room rates and ticket prices. Now that you're used to those "perks", oh, how about paying more for those things? It's done in business all the time, but as always you the consumer have a choice to select other products with better prices. I've hit WDW every year since 2000, and never would have thought to stay elsewhere...now I'd seriously consider it if they go through with this.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Actually is it because land is expensive or is it because people will pay it? If people quit showing up I bet that price would come down.

Land and the Property Taxes and other municipal 'fees' drive the cost of parking it's the same all over the world land is taxed on what it could be sold for TODAY (excepting La La land where Property Tax is set based on what the price was when you bought the place).

Cities are EXPENSIVE PERIOD Last time I was in Toronto shops were riffing off on how expensive Toronto was, The gag was It's so expensive in Toronto I was only able to buy half a mug (the mug was designed in a half round style).

TWDC through it's beard RCID IS the government in this case so they don't have that excuse.

raven

With check-in time of 4PM, check-out time of 11AM, a Disney hotel night is 19 hours.
Is this for ALL Disney resorts? Times shares and vacations ownerships have this policy becauseeach villa takes a few hours to clean as they are not standard hotel rooms.

Well, unlike Disney when you go to Vagas you are spending a significant part of your day in your hotel as well.

sd nana

Right now I spent around 6 thousand dollars for a family of 5 to come to WDW I stay out side the park and rent a home. You are taking all the MAGIC away with the changes you are making so sad... When you take quality away and substitute with less there is nothing special visiting the parks anymore. Greed is not MAGIC!! I have been coming since 1973..

hopemax

Actually is it because land is expensive or is it because people will pay it? If people quit showing up I bet that price would come down.

When we lived in Phoenix it was a little hard to get used to parking for everything being so cheap. For a post on the DIS, I looked it up to see if anything had changed. Parking for All events at University of Phoenix stadium used to be completely free. Now the lots in the entertainment district next to the stadium charge $10 for Cardinals games but pre-season games, Coyote Games and concerts at the arena are free.

There are some lots around Chase Field that charge $15 but there are also $5 lots. Parking at the Spring Training facility of the team we follow is $5 (looked it up, the Cubs facility is also $5 but offers reserved parking for $10). The Phoenician charges $12 for overnight parking but there are plenty of options with free parking. People who expect to pay a lot for parking can find that option. But it doesn't take a lot of work to avoid it either

It's not like Phoenix isnt a major city. But it is one with plenty of cheap land.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Mine was ready an hour late. We got in to the room a little after 5 pm. The first "are you out of the room yet" knock on the door came a little before 9 am.

That 1-hour delay to get in was about 10 DVC points, roughly $140.

DVC units being hours late for check in seems to be the norm these days at least it has for my last 4 trips and Mousekeeping starts the 'are you out of the room' routine about 745 it seems. Last trip I stayed in the room till 11 just because I got damn tired of them knocking on the door every 10-15 minutes starting at 7:45AM

SSH

Even if they do implement this, I don't understand how they can charge the same $15 resort fee for Pop Century (no gym, no coffeemakers in rooms, basic pools, etc) as they do for their higher end resorts (with all of those things and more).

I will definitely stay off site from now on if this is added, as I drive in and only stay at value resorts - don't use magical express, park buses, or any of the other "benefits". I just loved the theming and being in the bubble. But not enough to pay a resort fee. Hate resort fees and have always gone out of my way (including paying more per night) to hotels who don't have them just on principle alone - or I'll just find another destination entirely to vacation if there are no hotels in a given area without resort fees. Sad.

Nubs70

Even if they do implement this, I don't understand how they can charge the same $15 resort fee for Pop Century (no gym, no coffeemakers in rooms, basic pools, etc) as they do for their higher end resorts (with all of those things and more).

I will definitely stay off site from now on if this is added, as I drive in and only stay at value resorts - don't use magical express, park buses, or any of the other "benefits". I just loved the theming and being in the bubble. But not enough to pay a resort fee. Hate resort fees and have always gone out of my way (including paying more per night) to hotels who don't have them just on principle alone - or I'll just find another destination entirely to vacation if there are no hotels in a given area without resort fees. Sad.
While only being polled for high end resorts, if this comes to pass, it will start at the high end resorts and trickle down towards the values while the high end resort fee increases.

This is a program that will serve to establish incremental gains in PRGS for multiple quarters/years.

SSH

While only being polled for high end resorts, if this comes to pass, it will start at the high end resorts and trickle down towards the values while the high end resort fee increases.

This is a program that will serve to establish incremental gains in PRGS for multiple quarters/years.

Appreciate the clarification - didn't catch that the survey was for high end resorts. Maybe I can squeeze in 1-2 more stays before it hits values. Certainly no shortage of resort fee-free hotels in the area though for future visits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom