Disney Survey on implementing a $15 resort fee

Nick Pappagiorgio

DVC units being hours late for check in seems to be the norm these days at least it has for my last 4 trips and Mousekeeping starts the 'are you out of the room' routine about 745 it seems. Last trip I stayed in the room till 11 just because I got damn tired of them knocking on the door every 10-15 minutes starting at 7:45AM

And your official checkout is 11 am? I've had people knock when we have gotten late checkout, but that is nuts.

DisneyChik17

DVC units being hours late for check in seems to be the norm these days at least it has for my last 4 trips and Mousekeeping starts the 'are you out of the room' routine about 745 it seems. Last trip I stayed in the room till 11 just because I got damn tired of them knocking on the door every 10-15 minutes starting at 7:45AM

And your official checkout is 11 am? I've had people knock when we have gotten late checkout, but that is nuts.

It is annoying, but there is no indicator for people being out of the room, so they have to check. If I am going to be leaving a little later in the day, I put the DND on the door and they don't knock until check out time. I also vacate the room and usually leave the door cracked, or a note for Housekeeping on the door letting them know the room is ready for service.

There are tools to avoid the knocks on the door.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But we would get so much we didn't have before with this new resort fee. haha

CdE0D-gWAAQtjoZ.jpg

@ScottGustin on Twitter

what is interesting is... my run through the survey did the opposite. It showed me a price for ASM... with all those things included (no mention of the resort line item) and said 'would you book it'? Quoting $135/night

It did ask if I was aware of resort fees in questions leading up to it... so as one would expect.. they sample with both resort fees explict vs included...

alissafalco

what is interesting is... my run through the survey did the opposite. It showed me a price for ASM... with all those things included (no mention of the resort line item) and said 'would you book it'? Quoting $135/night

It did ask if I was aware of resort fees in questions leading up to it... so as one would expect.. they sample with both resort fees explict vs included...
Maybe they think you're more of a value type customer than a deluxe type ;) lol

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'll be there for a night before my cruise. Maybe they will send me a survey after my stay at the Poly.

I would assume the survey was instigated, rather than simply a follow-up. My last stay was back in Dec, and I got this survey back on March 8.. when this news was all happening. So I think this was a 'lets create a survey, and we'll just include all people from last X months'

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The problem that Disney has in it's quest for Deluxe pricing is that it needs to have a Deluxe PRODUCT to go with it. If you are charging as much as a Ruth Chris or Shulas for a ,meal, Well that Disney meal better be on par with Ruth Chris or Shulas if they want the same price for it because the high end customer is generally more discerning and critical about the quality of the product.

Disney CANNOT have it both ways they can EITHER raise prices OR cut back quality and service, They cannot do both if they want to execute the 'Wall St Dad's' marketing plan.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It is annoying, but there is no indicator for people being out of the room, so they have to check. If I am going to be leaving a little later in the day, I put the DND on the door and they don't knock until check out time. I also vacate the room and usually leave the door cracked, or a note for Housekeeping on the door letting them know the room is ready for service.

There are tools to avoid the knocks on the door.

I USED THEM put the privacy sign on the door - They annoyed me ANYWAY and tried to key in - fortunately I had left the security locks in place.

I'm a Hilton Diamond/Marriott platinum member and I travel for a living so I'm familiar with how a GOOD hotel handles these things and usually housekeeping does not start bothering people 3-4 hours before official checkout time.

DisneyChik17

I USED THEM put the privacy sign on the door - They annoyed me ANYWAY and tried to key in - fortunately I had left the security locks in place.

I'm a Hilton Diamond/Marriott platinum member and I travel for a living so I'm familiar with how a GOOD hotel handles these things and usually housekeeping does not start bothering people 3-4 hours before official checkout time.

Say no more. I know all I need to know.

UncleMike101

Those good hotels likely have sufficient maid staff to allow some flexibility in their cleaning schedules.
WDW does not have sufficient maid staff to do this.
That's why Disney has banned maids from making the Mouse ears towel decorations.
It takes too much of the maids "company" time to leave a visual pleasantry for the guests.
The mouse keeping staff are assigned their rooms based on how many they can finish during a "perfect" shift where everyone is out of their rooms when the maid arrives to clean it.
All of this results in some rooms getting a "Lick and a promise" instead of a proper cleaning.
It's been my observation that virtually ALL problems experienced by customers are a direct result of poor Management decisions.
Disney is a prime example of that unfortunate situation.
Time will tell if Disney can survive the "Iger years."

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

It would take a lot for me to say enough is enough. I'm only an hour away and the majority of my visits are just day trips. If (and it's rare) that I stay overnight, I typically stay off property and spend $40-$50 for a hotel room just to shower and sleep.

I expect AP prices to go up every year and I expect change to happen, but the changes that have been posted on this board are no where close to phasing me.

I think most people here would be in a similar boat; however, I think rather than saying "enough is enough" - "less than usual" will have to be enough.

Whether that means those of us with annual passes go fewer times per year, or stay off property, or dine more frugally – our budget is our budget. Big companies like to say they will get the money out of our pockets one way or another: if they are forced to pay higher taxes or wages, they will pass it along to consumers because heaven forbid the company does not make as much profit as they think they are entitled to. Well, it works both ways. We have little choice when it comes to putting gas in our cars or groceries in our kitchens. But as so many have pointed out here, Disney is not a necessity. So we will all do what we need to do to make our budgets – some with more money won't be affected. Some will pay extra to maintain what they already do. Some will overspend when they shouldn't. And some will cut back in various ways to make up for these perceived overcharges.

I suspect not too many will stop going altogether, however going less often has potentially almost the same effect. What's the difference if one person never goes back versus if three families go one fewer time each year from now on?

Tony the Tigger

I think you sum it up excellently. I think a lot Americans (of which I am one) have this sort of blind faith in capitalism (and that capitalism being unfettered capitalism). And having run a small business I get that regulation often runs the spectrum from onerous to simply stupid. And the balance generally only swings in favor of the consumer when we have regulation (such as the airline pricing law I discussed earlier) to force companies to change their behaviors.

As a fellow small business owner, I completely agree.

Nubs70

Those good hotels likely have sufficient maid staff to allow some flexibility in their cleaning schedules.
WDW does not have sufficient maid staff to do this.
That's why Disney has banned maids from making the Mouse ears towel decorations.
It takes too much of the maids "company" time to leave a visual pleasantry for the guests.
The mouse keeping staff are assigned their rooms based on how many they can finish during a "perfect" shift where everyone is out of their rooms when the maid arrives to clean it.
All of this results in some rooms getting a "Lick and a promise" instead of a proper cleaning.
It's been my observation that virtually ALL problems experienced by customers are a direct result of poor Management decisions.
Disney is a prime example of that unfortunate situation.
Time will tell if Disney can survive the "Iger years."
This is business process optimization as applied to housekeeping.

Everything is based on the average. Average from the needs of the.room to the abilities of the maid. Finish your rooms early, you get more rooms. Failure to finish your rooms, you get fired.

BPO does.nothing but to enforce the average for sake of efficiency.

NelsonRD

When someone turns my topic about employees loosing their jobs due to a company taking away that money and giving it to a country that's already over spending into corporate stock jargon about shareholders, loyalties and trading, it's political. Much like your reply.

It is not political, it is business. You only claim it is political because you want it to be part of your agenda. You think that the government needs to step in and stop what you perceive are greedy decisions. However, what you fail to realize is that the politicians and governments contribute to the same injustice you blame big business for, because they are just as greedy, as corruption and selfishness in the government is just as common as bad business practices.

The most effective response to these poor decisions is voiced by consumer spending and actions, not laws and protest. When attendance and profits drops, and when qualified employees seek other employment, that is what will drive management to make changes that seem more ethical.

raven

It is not political, it is business. You only claim it is political because you want it to be part of your agenda. You think that the government needs to step in and stop what you perceive are greedy decisions. However, what you fail to realize is that the politicians and governments contribute to the same injustice you blame big business for, because they are just as greedy, as corruption and selfishness in the government is just as common as bad business practices.

The most effective response to these poor decisions is voiced by consumer spending and actions, not laws and protest. When attendance and profits drops, and when qualified employees seek other employment, that is what will drive management to make changes that seem more ethical.
The post I responded to was deleted. You don't even know what I was talking about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom