Disney Springs Plans: What do they mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

OK, I red through all seven pages of this discussion and found it very interesting. Its about a 50/50 split. Those who like it....those...not so much. I want to take a sentence and congratulate 74 for giving a rational response to this one. His argument is really well thought out and devoid some of the irrational hyperbol on the "other" thred.

I althgough dont hate this new concept I am not in love with it either. Like 74 and others have said.....Disney is missing its mark. We are holding Disney to the standard which they have created and no longer hold themselves to.
Is it wrong for us to want Disney to give us something great?....not just....well thats nice ( sound familar FL?). Its supposed to be MAGICAL....why? Because thats what they have conditoned us to expect. SOme of us its easier to let go.....some of us want to go out kicking and screaming. AC is gone....get over it! Those who say this...just dont get it. Its not really about the AC ( ok....yes it is) but its about what a truly unique experience it was. Disney built this mystque that leag you to think you were in another world. They intentionally built thimgs to make you forget the outside world....so what do they do? They bring the outside world to Disney. The same reason they in the early years only allowed the one or two McDonalds on property....which even that small presemce has been downsized. Thats the reason people were so upset about Starbucks. It wasnt because Starbucks was so bad....it was just that the outside world was sneaking in....it was sneaking in, in the name pf profits and not guest experience.

74 and the like are not just complaining about Disney for the sheer sake of complaining....its nothing more then wanting the best possible experience.....whats wrong with that? When we complain..."its just a mall" What were saying is....wheres the Disney experience? What they are giving us is a nice place to spend our money. Its not an experience. It dont have be a 5th gate. DTD never was....but did a heck of a job giving us an incredible experience.

All that said.....I will believe it when I see it. I have seen plans for Avatar ( or whatever that was floating around here) We have heard the rumors of Carsland...RSR...maybe ...maybe not? Hyperion Warf and whatever they came up with the past four years. Now I am supposed to believe that this is going to happen? That there are 4 or 5 different plans ( which I absolutely believe...we have the cheap version and the exspensive one....which do you really think will happen?). In the end I think there will be some water foutians and a parking garage....BTW what happened to the "green intiative" where TDO turned off/down a lot of foutians? Now they build more?....huh? Until it exsist...I have no reason to believe it will happen. With nothing but respect to 74. Raven and all of our other great "insiders".

Magenta Panther

I think this is HUGE and the more I hear and especially see from this the more I absolutely LOVE it (especially being an owner at SSR). Now with that being said, I'm not sure why people are so negative about this... this is NOT a 5th park and I really don't believe this is something that is supposed to attract people to go to Disney who otherwise wouldn't (do people vacate to UNI just because of Citywalk?). I think this is an addition Disney is making that will be great for visitors, and locals. Plus this may help some of the crowds in the parks

Just speaking for myself here, but I don't go to WDW to shop. I visited DTD last fall for the first and probably my last time (mostly to dine at Raglan Road, which was underwhelming IMO). Sorry to be negative, but for Disney to spend money on this while meanwhile...well, you know...broken yeti...

Magenta Panther

I know it isn't directed toward me but it's really daunting to see people bash Disney on a Disney fan site.

Before Disneyland there really weren't "theme" parks. Now everyone uses them as the standard. I agree that other companies have surpassed Disney but most of them used basic ideas that came from Disney in the first place. It's become a very competitve market and now Disney is actually trying to get back to it's roots of being family oriented rather than the biggest and best. A lot of guests prefer being totally submerged in a story than just riding something with a fancy name.

And like it or not, Disney Springs has a story but I won't devulge it for fear of even more bashing.

But story is everything when it comes to good Disney. Maybe if we knew it we'd all feel a little more excited?

Magenta Panther

Maybe, just maybe, the folks at Disney could step up and dream just a WEE bit bigger than "Disney Burger." You know, fill the Disney owned-and-operated spaces with unique, mind-blowing, one-of-a-kind experiences?

Or am I underestimating the sheer magical power and potential of Disney Burger?

Well, maybe the burgers will talk or something. :p

Oh, god...I just got a flashback of those awful old McDonaldsland commercials...:eek:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Calling this a mall is a pretty big generalization. This is a mall:

So is this:

One I would not be caught dead at, the other is a pretty amazing place.

It's downtown Disney. It will have shopping, restaurants and nightlife. It's not a 5th gate. Could all 4 parks use a facelift in areas? Yes, for sure. I can't really think of a strong argument for spending money on DTD over the actual parks. With that being said the concept art looks pretty good. If they actually build this it's a major improvement over what's there now. The money could perhaps be better spent on rides, but at least it's not going into executive bonuses or everyone's favorite fall guy, another DVC resort.

Magenta Panther

Calling this a mall is a pretty big generalization. This is a mall:

So is this:

One I would not be caught dead at, the other is a pretty amazing place.

It's downtown Disney. It will have shopping, restaurants and nightlife. It's not a 5th gate. Could all 4 parks use a facelift in areas? Yes, for sure. I can't really think of a strong argument for spending money on DTD over the actual parks. With that being said the concept art looks pretty good. If they actually build this it's a major improvement over what's there now. The money could perhaps be better spent on rides, but at least it's not going into executive bonuses or everyone's favorite fall guy, another DVC resort.

Hmmm...where is this "concept art"?

BryceM

Yes, that's what I was referring to. "Planes" - and coming soon to a theater near you: "Trucks"!
Then Boats, Trains, Bikes and finally, Buses! All with the same, generic storyline, annoying pop/country music and stereotypical characters! Yay!

Just kidding, haha. "Planes" could possibly be a better film than Cars was. I did notice, however, that Planes is a "DisneyToon film" and is not affiliated with Pixar in any way.

lazyboy97o

But story is everything when it comes to good Disney. Maybe if we knew it we'd all feel a little more excited?
Story is not everything and its not always appropriate, even for Disney. A good story/theme defines the experience. If just another other shop can be dropped in, then there is no real story, just a bunch of wasted time justifying aesthetic choices. Downtown Disney is a shopping "district" and as such stores will come and go based on finances, not the experience of a created place. If the story is anything like Pleasure Island (more so after the clubs started to be changed out) or Hyperion Wharf and also what I see in the art, it's just going to be a lot of hot air to say why this relatively new place looks like it is the sort of adaptive reuse that is happening in every major city. It's rationalization for copying and defaulting to Disney's tried and true aesthetic choices.

ParentsOf4

OK, I've finally caught up reading this fast moving thread. I'm left with 3 thoughts/opinions:
  1. No matter how much we miss it, Disney never will restore the Adventurer's Club or recreate Pleasure Island.
  2. Expanding DTD to include more shopping and dining makes sense. WDW is a complete vacation destination and many like to shop while on vacation.
  3. None of it would exist without those neglected theme parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom