Disney Springs Plans: What do they mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virtual Toad

I digress.....It goes back to substance. We just dont see the excitement in the new offerings. The proponents say but its a shopping experience....thats what it supposed to be. But it was always that....and soooooo much more.

This sums it up quite nicely. Shopping is a flat-line for me so maybe I don't get it. But I used to almost literally tremble with excitement as I walked up the hill from West Side to PI, knowing I was in for an experience that was totally unique-- an experience you could only get at Walt Disney World and nowhere else. An experience you couldn't get enough of. As a guest it made me feel part of something really special.

That core emotional reaction is what elevates a pleasant experience to a magical one. The new DtD may well end up being pleasant. But I can't see people making a true emotional connection to the experience, unless there's something unexpected in the works that hasn't yet been announced.

EDIT (again) In the interest of looking on the bright side, a VASTLY expanded Trader Sam's with a full cast and no corners cut could potentially have potential. The presence of that logo in the list of possible venues is admittedly intriguing.

tomman710

I didn't see this mentioned yet but to those wondering about time frame I have it on good authority that the people involved have been told to plan for three years.

Ignohippo

The parks already do compete on their own. What you propose is already how things works. It was the big revolution to the business model that Paul Pressler brought over from The Disney Store. The merchandise was not just about upfront cost, but what generated the biggest profits. Each store went with what sold the best because it was the only way to ensure staying around. The same happened at every scale. From the park level down to every last remaining square foot. The parks are competing by all offering the same product because there is less risk involved in going with what is proven.

Once again, you're TOTALLY missing the point. I never said "compete". You are the one that keeps using the word "compete" and you can't seem to get past it.

What I have said from the beginning is that the parks, etc. need to be looked at as their own entities. That doesn't mean they need to compete with each other. Competing against their own numbers would be good enough to make each park strive to be better year after year.

Ignohippo

I didn't see this mentioned yet but to those wondering about time frame I have it on good authority that the people involved have been told to plan for three years.

That would seem to be likely, but it would depend on how much is actually decided on. I'm sure everything would be done in phases (with the parking garage more than likely coming first).

Clever Name

I've seen nothing to prove that having this structure will improve a parking fiasco that is GREATLY exaggerated by the fact no one wants to park further down than AMC or Splitsville and 90% of people want to be in front of WoD!
There has never been a parking problem at DtD. Years ago the DtD buses used to run a route through the various parking lots to pick up passengers. The first stop was always the marlet place and the last stop was on the west side. After several years they eliminated the west side bus stop due to lack of use by passengers. The same is still true today. Lot number 5 (as it is now called) always has plenty of empty parking spaces.

The vehicle turnover in the other lots is so frequent that spaces open up constantly. In short, they don't need a multilevel parking garage with the current visitation the area now experiences. I think we can all agree that Disney is a master of crowd control and crowd movement. If they propose to build a parking garage at the DtD location then they must expect a significant increase (double or triple?) in visitation with their new plan. The crowds at DtD are rather brisk now and any increase would just make me less likely to visit.

lazyboy97o

Once again, you're TOTALLY missing the point. I never said "compete". You are the one that keeps using the word "compete" and you can't seem to get past it.

What I have said from the beginning is that the parks, etc. need to be looked at as their own entities. That doesn't mean they need to compete with each other. Competing against their own numbers would be good enough to make each park strive to be better year after year.
The competition becomes the natural result of splitting up the financial view because now everything lives or dies on its own. It is what has happened. Like I said, it is an inverse relationship. The unique qualities do not get appreciated by what you proposed. And you did use the word compete, that is why it appears in the post I quoted.

"If each park were having to compete on its own, you'd see MORE unique offerings, not less. You'd need those stores and attractions to actaully be draws (like things used to be), rather than just resting on their laurels and all being the same."

You're just proposing the status quo and expecting a different outcome.

jrriddle

Couple names on the vendor list intrigue me. Trader Sam's of course, Im hoping Walt's Place will be in the same spirit as Walt's in DLP. But the one that has me most intrigued is The Edison! The logo indicates its the same as the one in LA that I went to a couple years ago. Incredibly themed bar! Would love one closer to home!

Longhairbear

That would be me. ;)

I don't care what they do to the rest of the place, but wouldn't the Club fit perfectly in with this plan? Isn't it a no-brainer?
If Trader Sam's goes to DTD, would like it? I know it's not AC, but we like it.

Lee

Adventurer

Ignohippo

The competition becomes the natural result of splitting up the financial view because now everything lives or dies on its own. It is what has happened. Like I said, it is an inverse relationship. The unique qualities do not get appreciated by what you proposed. And you did use the word compete, that is why it appears in the post I quoted.

"If each park were having to compete on its own, you'd see MORE unique offerings, not less. You'd need those stores and attractions to actaully be draws (like things used to be), rather than just resting on their laurels and all being the same."

You're just proposing the status quo and expecting a different outcome.

"Compete on their own" doesn't mean "compete" in the way you are using it or against the other Disney parks. I think I've made that more than abundantly clear. I'm beating my head against a brick wall at this point.

Unfortunately, the status quo now for the Disney parks is for everything to be same, and nothing to be unique. It's all one resort, after all.

Animaniac93-98

But who is buying makeup on a vacation? Wouldnt they have made that purchase before they came?

To be fair, MK used to sell customized perfume and antiques. Hardly items normal folk would buy on vacations. The idea bhind that though, was to offering something unique to compliment and elevate the overall park experience. Selling high-end items that can be bought at local malls however, is not, especially when it is positioned as the main attraction.

TP2000

Here are a few retail and food vendors they are looking into at the moment but as always, things can change.

photo14.jpg

photo15.jpg

This is just weird. And it's clearly been created by people in Southern California, as many of those brands are only found in hip Southern California neighborhoods. Or Southern Californians who vacation stylishly in the Pacific Northwest and visit hipster hangouts in Portland or Seattle.

I'm not sure this is actually a list of future tenants more than its a visual collection of clip art from some young California Imagineers who were brainstorming and thinking "Wouldn't it be cool if DTD had this? And this? And one of those places they have in Pasadena? And that hipster bar we went to up in Portland last year?"

The Edison (and their logo that was stolen here) already exists, for example; as a hyper-themed and rather expensive hipster bar in downtown Los Angeles where 98% of the blubbery tourists waddling around Orlando in their best Crocs and drip-dry travel shorts would never get past the doorman. http://www.edisondowntown.com/main.htm

And is there anyone living east of Phoenix who knows where Temecula is, and what it's now famous for? Powell's, as the West Coast hipster gem from rainy Portlandia? West LA's Paul Frank boutiques. Orange County's locals-only Shake Shack near Laguna Beach. American Girl from The Grove. Trader Sam's, as the fabulous mid-century mod tiki bar at the fabulous mid-century mod Disneyland Hotel, and on and on.

But then... the actual mall in Orlando will be managed by TDO property managers living in central Florida who aren't... um... exactly on the cutting edge of hip. :cool:

That collection of retail logos and brands seems very random, and obviously from a West Coast perspective. Are you sure it's a listing of actual future tenants, or is it just one of those "mood board" design activities that some young Imagineers in Glendale, California came up with as a brain exercise?

TP2000

WDI absolutely is involved. They are the ones who came up with the typical ridiculous backstory (because really, why can't a lifestyle complex be exactly that?!)

But there is nothing groundbreaking in this. It should be very nice, but I'd argue that DD is very nice now and that WDW has far greater needs.

The best news here is that the company who did The Americana and The Grove shopping malls in Southern California are also doing this remake of DTD in Orlando.

The Americana, just up the street from Imagineering headquarters in Glendale, would be a good model to copy here. But to be sure, it is just a shopping mall. It's a pretty mall, but it's nothing more than an outdoor mall of the type so popular in early 21st century Southern California.

The Americana at Brand mall, Glendale, California
americana-2.jpg

And no trolleys in DTD, even though they'll build fake elevated trolley lines? That's a big miss in my humble opinion. The Americana and The Grove malls are as popular as they are because of the uniqueness that their trolley systems bring. And their conductors are so professionally uniformed, too! ;)

The Americana Trolley System - Shopping Mall Transportation, California Style
lax-ht-americana-062909-05.jpg

WDW1974

Original Poster
Any news on nightlife for the Springs? I would love to not have to find ways to get all the way to (or perhaps more problematically, all the way back from) downtown Orlando anymore.

Not yet. I guess it all comes down to who actually has signed on the dotted line for the project. ... I knew Disney was talking to the Edison folks well over a year ago, but never heard a thing.

BTW, apparently some Twit who loves the Blackhawks says I am ''A crybaby, a homophobe, an elitist, a douchebag, a know-it-all, an egomaniac, a creepy weirdo ... take your pick!''

Can you just feel the love? He sounds so angry but at least he got one of my qualities right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom