Disney Springs Plans: What do they mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Did your friend tell you the average cost per space of a parking structure? Much less one built in a swamp and by Disney?

Nope. But being Disney I can expect them to overpay and underdeliver. ... And I can only imagine the REAL mess traffic and getting in and out of DD during the likely three-four year project will be.

raven

Disney wouldn't have to 'fight' to keep guests on property if it weren't so out of touch with its core paks business and wasn't allowing said parks to become crowded stale shells of what they once were. I know you work for them, but that IS their problem.

Actually I don't work for them as many on here think but I am merely a HUGE fan of everything Disney.

And the "fight to keep guests in property" I was talking about wasn't the parks. There is a lot of shopping and other oportunities in Orlando that guests like to visit. Disney identified this and is simply trying to offer similar things on their own property.

Virtual Toad

I know it isn't directed toward me but it's really daunting to see people bash Disney on a Disney fan site.

Before Disneyland there really weren't "theme" parks. Now everyone uses them as the standard. I agree that other companies have surpassed Disney but most of them used basic ideas that came from Disney in the first place. It's become a very competitve market and now Disney is actually trying to get back to it's roots of being family oriented rather than the biggest and best. A lot of guests prefer being totally submerged in a story than just riding something with a fancy name.

And like it or not, Disney Springs has a story but I won't devulge it for fear of even more bashing.

Sorry Raven, I respect you and don't mean to bash. But I see nothing wrong with being critical when something falls short of its potential. Disney has been VERY hit-or-miss in its Florida efforts as of late and I see nothing wrong with pointing that out.

Just because the Mouse does something does not mean it is magical.

The latest plan for DtD is a safe move, a conservative play, straight down the fairway. A sensible business decision. I can concede that and even concede it will probably be financially successful.

But some of us remember a time when WDW constantly exceeded expectations by taking risks. Perhaps that's not the way a mature corporation operates. Perhaps asking for magic is asking too much though I seriously doubt it would bankrupt the company.

There's a difference between a conservative business play and creating world class magical experiences and at the end of the day people need to take that into consideration.

raven

This plan looks nice and thank you for your input but I don't know how you can turn a blind eye to the current state of the parks and transportation. That's where the "negativity" is directed and coming from. This plan won't make me book a trip but it will get me back to DTD after skipping it the past 3 trips.

Wow us with news that Carsland is green lit. Tell us Avatarland is a GO. Enlighten us with the next MK project. That will stop the negativity.

Carsland, no. But Radiator Springs Racers in DHS? They are looking into it's feasibility.

MaryJaneP

I stand ready to be proven wrong in doubting this entire enterprise. All Disney has to do is prove me wrong. Go ahead. Do it by beginning and completing this "awesome" plan. Hopefully before the fans on this board are pushing up daisies.

lazyboy97o

Nope. But being Disney I can expect them to overpay and underdeliver. ... And I can only imagine the REAL mess traffic and getting in and out of DD during the likely three-four year project will be.
It's in the tens of thousands of dollars, minimum. That is for a single spot.

articos

This plan looks nice and thank you for your input but I don't know how you can turn a blind eye to the current state of the parks and transportation. That's where the "negativity" is directed and coming from. This plan won't make me book a trip but it will get me back to DTD after skipping it the past 3 trips.

Wow us with news that Carsland is green lit. Tell us Avatarland is a GO. Enlighten us with the next MK project. That will stop the negativity.
The only thing that matters is what I have just highlighted above, as far as this project is concerned. There will be other expansions in the parks and the next MK project is being built. They just haven't been announced/opened yet. But as far as this one project is concerned, you've just proved to the company they are on the right track with redoing DTD.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I know it isn't directed toward me but it's really daunting to see people bash Disney on a Disney fan site.

Before Disneyland there really weren't "theme" parks. Now everyone uses them as the standard. I agree that other companies have surpassed Disney but most of them used basic ideas that came from Disney in the first place. It's become a very competitve market and now Disney is actually trying to get back to it's roots of being family oriented rather than the biggest and best. A lot of guests prefer being totally submerged in a story than just riding something with a fancy name.

And like it or not, Disney Springs has a story but I won't devulge it for fear of even more bashing.

Before I answer this, I gotta say ... very ballsy/unwise of Scarlett's BF to be putting watermarks for his website on content that belongs TO TWDC. Essentially, he is claiming Disney's plans as his own because he thinks that @wdwmagic (and others) are going to steal it from him. That is amazing. Truly. I hope those folks in CP are watching before they hand him a credential for their next media event. Oh, in the real world (removed from WDW) doing such a thing would bring about an immediate response from legal. The kind that shuts your website down. ... hey, TommyBoi ... might want to rethink the watermarks ... unless Disney is the one who gave you the plans! ;-)

OK, onto your point ... but I don't view anyone bashing anything. I view critical fans as the canaries in the coal mine that all is not right with Disney's core business. I think you just don't agree with us on what Disney should be doing. And Disney SHOULD be biggest and best ... the fact they are conceding in O-Town is sickening.

Mouse Detective

Most of the faithful are just ed because the plan doesn't include (nor has it ever) Adventurers Club.
Give up PI already folks and let's move on.

I think if they announced a new adult nightlife district, with or without Adventurers Club, there would be a lot more excitement about the changes. Closing Pleasure Island's clubs without offering any alternatives was a blunder that has so many upset. Now is the opportunity to remedy that. They can stick it out in Flamingo Crossings if they want, but offer adults comedy and music clubs already.

The Empress Lilly

'Bashing' is people with an interest in architecture, design, or theme parks giving their critical opinion of new plans. This site being a fast moving forum, we only post the short version of our thoughts, rather than the four thousand word essay. But quite a lot of short posts are grounded in intelligent argument, even if just the short comment is written out here.

Everything I do at work is under constant critical review too, the same goes for many others with serious jobs. Critical assesments far harsher than the close scrutiny of the design work that the sensitive drama queens of WDI face on Disney fora.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Actually I don't work for them as many on here think but I am merely a HUGE fan of everything Disney.

Fair enough. I am not a HUGE fan of everything Disney. Some things certainly ... from DLl to DCA's new look to DCL to the new stuff coming to HKDL to anything TDR to any small semblance of 'my WDW' still in the swamps. ... But blind fan of any/every thing with the Disney label on it? Not quite.

And the "fight to keep guests in property" I was talking about wasn't the parks. There is a lot of shopping and other oportunities in Orlando that guests like to visit. Disney identified this and is simply trying to offer similar things on their own property.

Disney has often gotten in trouble (see Eisner's later years) when it has decided it needs to be all things for all people.

rudyjr13

The only thing that matters is what I have just highlighted above, as far as this project is concerned. There will be other expansions in the parks and the next MK project is being built. They just haven't been announced/opened yet. But as far as this one project is concerned, you've just proved to the company they are on the right track with redoing DTD.

Which is why I posted it. We aren't all negative all the time. I recognize what they are going for here and ok, I'm fine with it if they make it very nice. I used to visit as a kid in the 80s when it was Lake Buena Vista Village (or whatever name) so I'm fine with the shopping space.

I also visited PI in the 90s as a preteen and loved that atmosphere. What 12 year old would not love celebrating NYE every night? Made one of those corny music videos. Saw the stand up shows.

We will see what happens here. Something reimagined and new is a good start.

the.dreamfinder

For those who would like some insight as to why some of us aren't excited for Disney Springs. This, at least for me, is along the lines of what we should EXPECT from disney. Pay close attention to the Restaurant concepts as well as Michael, Joe, and Frank's genuine enthusiasm for the project.
WOW US DISNEY, WOW US EVERY CHANCE YOU GET!!!

Californian Elitist

I know many of you haven't even been to California, let alone LA or Glendale, but this sort of looks like a less lavish version of The Americana or The Grove, especially The Americana. It does remind me of a mall.

People are upset because this will cost a lot of money, money that could have been used for the theme parks. But it wasn't. I'd be upset, too. Yes, it looks nice (though The Grove and The Americana look better) but most people care more about theme park attractions and offerings. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom