Disney Springs Plans: What do they mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virtual Toad

Hardly an outlet mall killer with DTD prices.

Like many tourists, we know where to go for bargains.

Good point, discerning guests will always seek out the best options. But I suspect TDO thinks a big number of guests will find this convenient enough to stay on property. Assuming this whole thing has been well-thought-out, of course. Their "research" must have found that somebody will like the concept.

EDIT: Mea culpa-- shows you how much I know about outlet malls or even shopping :)
So who IS this mix of retail aimed at?

NYBaloo

IMHO, I like it. There are many folks, like myself, who do not live in areas that have the stores and restaurants that have been mentioned in these postings. And certainly there are no "lifestyle" malls anywhere near to me. We have the plain old concrete and linoleum malls. So this is different. For the folks that already have this and it's passe or just hate the idea, then I guess you don't have to go there. But I think there will be alot of folks that will still go there and enjoy it.

CoachG

Any chance this whole thing is about more than just keeping people on property or international visitors? What about all the people who just live in an area within a reasonable driving distance? Maybe this isn't meant to be anything more than a mall - to some WDW guests this super fancy outdoor mall may be like the one they have at home but what if Disney is building this to be the super fancy outdoor mall for those who live there in addition to getting whatever business they can from people on property?

If you're a local do you really have incentive to go to DTD for Disney themed merchandise and stores? Maybe once in a while but what if you need to go to an Apple Store or a GAP or whatever they're going to put in here? You go to whatever local mall there is but if you had the opportunity to go to the fancy outdoor mall to go to those stores (and get your favorite snack from Goofy's Candy Co) wouldn't you pick that over the local everyday run of the mill mall?

SirLink

Hardly an outlet mall killer with DTD prices.

Like many tourists, we know where to go for bargains.

But sometimes, even myself, I want something of quality.

The problem with Disney is that is has to compete with price and quality. Which they will never do, and the next global crash, and all the stores go empty again ... then what.

ParentsOf4

Good point, discerning guests will always seek out the best options. But I suspect TDO thinks a big number of guests will find this convenient enough to stay on property. Assuming this whole thing has been well-thought-out, of course. Their "research" must have found that somebody will like the concept.
Yes, lots of posts have mentioned wanting to stay in the bubble while at WDW. They want WDW to be an all immersive vacation.

There might not be that much market research behind it, especially for the plans we've seen. Conceptually, Disney might have data supporting more shopping but in terms of location and type, I suspect we'd have heard of this project before if they had conducted research on its specifics.

This DTD expansion should be a financial "no-brainer" for Disney, with retail stores and restaurants being required to sign multi-year leases to participate. Effectively, the project might pay for itself, like most DVC properties.

If Disney could get someone else to foot the bill for a 5th Gate, I suspect we'd see that as well.:)

Sadly for all of us, when it comes to WDW, Disney management never wants to take risks anymore. Yet they'll willingly pump hundreds of millions into movies that bomb or billions to buy someone else's IP.:(

Virtual Toad

Have to disagree for many women "shopping" seems to have become a fun activity. It does say something about the US becoming Glutenous but it is very much true that many women treat shopping as a sport or something like that. Personally I shop when I need something and usually get it over with as fast as possible. I can tell you my wife and her friends went out "thrifting" this weekend. What they do is meet for spiked coffee and head out for hours hitting all the thrift and consignment stores. Usually a stop for lunch and more booze and then they continue on for a few more hours. I would never do that but they can spend a good part of day doing it. I heard my neighbor say this one day, "I haven't been out shopping for a week at least". She meant that with a sound of missing out on a leisure time activity. Maybe it's just the crowd around here but think leisure time shopping is bigger than you might think.

Gives me a headache just thinking about it. Bless my in-laws but it sounds like my first trip to meet them and we ended up spending half the weekend shopping for shoes. :p

flynnibus

Premium Member
She meant that with a sound of missing out on a leisure time activity. Maybe it's just the crowd around here but think leisure time shopping is bigger than you might think.

Hence why I said...

For some it is.. for many it is not.

MissAlmyra

I do hope something big happens to DTD soon, as I never was enthused by the chain store offerings at DTD. When I'm on a WDW vacation, I expect and hope for unique stores and concepts. The homogenization of the Disney merchandise is a bit disconcerting, but I always liked the set ups of stores like Trend-D, where certain lines of merchandise were collected. I'd typically skip most of the West Side, since the Marketplace seemed to have the most enjoyable atmosphere. I hope that whatever is planned gives DTD a little extra something that makes me want to stay there after a day in the parks.

Figment82

I really just want a Jamba Juice - to me, that's the biggest plus in Anaheim's favor in a DtD competition. The closest one was in Tampa, near Busch Gardens, but it moved to the USF campus and is more of a "lite" version now. Is it too much to ask for? I'd love a Strawberries Wild every now and then... ;)

For those who mentioned Burger 21, there's one already in Millenia and the place is usually packed. I could see a location at DtD doing extremely well.

Bolt

But sometimes, even myself, I want something of quality.

The problem with Disney is that is has to compete with price and quality. Which they will never do, and the next global crash, and all the stores go empty again ... then what.

Heh - it's not American's shopping today, either. The Brazillians will always save us.

Clever Name

It would be nice if they would put in a Walmart so guests can buy things that they really need such as cheap ponchos for Kali River Rapids and Splash Mountain.

tracyandalex

Only on page 12, but here is what I've got so far:

While agree that something should be done with DTD, I am not at all excited about a generic looking mall. I know Disney can do a much better job. Also, I am not sure how much additional shopping will really be going on. The way I see it - why on earth would I spend a day at WDW or in Orlando for htat matter shopping in a mall with stores that I can shop in at home to have to pay to either ship that merchandise home or pay the baggage fee for the extra suitcase? The problem with this having "mall" stores is that folks will not go crazy shopping at DTD because I would bet there won't be sales, no one wants to pay to lug the stuff home when they can buy it at home, and there are already outlets (with supposedly cheaper prices) close by.

I have a sinking feeling the garage will be more of a pain than a help. Aventura Mall anyone?

I like that some not found in Florida stores and restaurants are listed, but I would also like to see some Disney originals.

Some nightlife would be great!

I think the plans look really nice, but they aren't Disney to me.

tomman710

Here's my thoughts now after reading this thread and having the opportunity to have gone through the plans themselves;

1. This is way better than what DTD is currently. So there is that.
2. This is not what "we" want (i.e. improve the actual parks). But TDO will only invest into things that are directly linked to ROI ... not indirectly like attractions. (Even though that logic is skewed).
3. The "story" is contrived and confusing.
4. I have zero idea and cannot get a straight answer from anyone actually involved with this project on why The Adventurer's Club is not in this ...

gonnichi

I think the images and layout look very nice. I dont need a back story to enjoy this area but thats fine. What is included and what is not inculded in Disney Springs will be of extreme importance to me. I have had just about enough of TDO and how they seem to never produce what I see at the DLR or at other Disney resorts world wide (or even Universal Orlando Parks for that matter). I dont need twice the shopping or twice the resturants to keep me spending money at DTD. I personally can't spend twice as much buying things on vacation, nor eat two meals while in DTD. What I need to keep me there longer and possibly spending more money will be entertainment. If there is no entertainment included with Disney Springs i'm just about through with WDW. I hope in the near furture WDW will finally get some exciting new attracations and entertainment, that's the only way I will be making a trip back anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom