Disney Springs Plans: What do they mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Empress Lilly

I paid for mine.
No you didn't. You stole it from me. I copyrighted it.

2w3c3ug.jpg

Virtual Toad

OK... back to the original question....

"Disney Springs Plans: What do they mean?"

Absolutely NOTHING. Available data, based on the "Hyperion Wharf" baloney, indicates that this sort of thing should be summarily dismissed, until actual construction is observed.

That's a nicer way of saying Disney shot their credibility in this area.

Disney shot their credibility when they shuttered PI and replaced the clubs with planters, fake statues, street musicians and patio furniture, promising "bold and new" -- while leaving the place to rot for almost half a decade and counting.

prfctlyximprct

If the plans are leaked, the names are out, and there's photos everywhere, why can't Disney just announce?!?!? I need something to look forward too besides the mine train.. :(

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Believe it or not, but Planes is getting a lot of positive buzz on the left coast.

BTW, opening weekend for OZ is coming up. Wanna start projection pool?

Sure, I'll start...

Latest tracking indicating OZ will open way better then I expected....My guess, $81 million domestic.

Cody5242

Sure, I'll start...

Latest tracking indicating OZ will open way better then I expected....My guess, $81 million domestic.
I think it will make between 55-65 mill. There's not a lot of family films in the market so I think it might have a chance to hit 70

jt04

Two new observations....

Pedestrian walks are planned for the LBV hotels similar to the way foot traffic is handled in Vegas. Brilliant add for those properties.

Interesting that the western most sections are not part of this expansion. Makes me think they may be planning more hotel or DVC space. Not a bad idea.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Two new observations....

Pedestrian walks are planned for the LBV hotels similar to the way foot traffic is handled in Vegas. Brilliant add for those properties.

Interesting that the western most sections are not part of this expansion. Makes me think they may be planning more hotel or DVC space. Not a bad idea.

You always want to build more hotels when you can't fill your current ones.

Cody5242

I think it will go higher, if only because of the lack of family films in the market right now. The market is dying for a family film.
Yeah I'm just playing it safe but I don't believe there's any chance that oz will bomb. It's getting decent to good reviews and I believe it will bank over seas

Genie of the Lamp

Oz Prediction box office numbers week 1:
Domestic-$70.2 Mil
International-29.8 Mil
So, they take in $100 mil in weekend #1. BTW, it cost them $325 mil to make and market this film, so they have a ways to go to catch up/break even to that IMO.
But since we're dealing with DTD or now "Disney Springs" here, is this going to be showing for free at the AMC Theater down their? I'd love to be their and watch this in one of those theaters were they have tables in their that you can eat your food on.

John

Most companies have capital budgets that have to be justified. While we might not like the thought, Disney is a for profit company, not just a creator of Magic. That said, capital spent of DTD can be easily run through financial models to determine ROI based on different scenarios. Risks can be evaluated based on historical data, trends, and research. All of this is done in business concepts that are easily understood by senior management. The results can also be directly measured by the incremental revenue DTD generates. The same is true for building resorts or DVC. Each can be modeled, justified, and ROI tracked independently.

Now contrast that with the parks. What is the ROI for better maintenance of a ride? While preventive maintenance usually costs much less than corrective maintenance, that may not be true if work requires regular closure of rides to fix cosmetic issues. At what point do you hit diminishing returns. What is the ROI of adding a ride to an existing park? While it might add capacity, does the reduced wait times translate directly to increased attendance? Will adding a new themed land draw in new crowds? The fact is, there are allot more unknowns and bigger risks associated with investing in the parks. From a business/financial perspective it is much harder to make a soundly justified decision.

None of this is to justify not spending money on the parks, but the reality is that investing in retail inside and outside of the parks helps to generate the revenue that can then support investment back into the parks.

So whether you like the plans for DTD or not, it's likely easier to secure capital for this project.

Lastly, people tend to think that there is a fixed amount of money available for improvements and that every dollar spent on DTD means one less spent on the parks. That is not necessarily the case. Capital spending is all based on ROI. If a company can invest additional dollars and expect a minimum return based on an reasonable level of risk, it will. An E-ticket ride gets green lit when someone makes a convincing business case. The other complexity is how much does "plussing" a ride add to your return or reduce risk? This creates the issue of doing things "on the cheap". But would spending more money create larger returns?

So I am not trying to justify any decisions made by TDO, but to point out that it is not enough to say Disney should invest more money into X. That has to be backed by what return will that generate for the company. Then, within each project, how much investment is needed to maximize the return or minimize the risk. It's real easy to make these decisions when you are a fan and are not accountable for the results. Try taking your entire life savings and investing it into a single stock for the next 20 years.

Spoken like a true MBA. You do make total sense...but you also know that wasnt how the company used to be ran.....right....very very succesfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom