Disney Springs Plans: What do they mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imagineer boy

geez people cmon... Disney is improving on something, expanding it, and making it somewhat appealing from the photos and all some want to do is complain.....

People are not complaining, they are CRITIQUING. It's something artists do when they view each others work. You have to be critical in areas that leav emuch to be desired otherwise you just get mindless worship.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I keep seeing and hearing people say Anaheim's DtD is better than Orlando's. IMO, DtD in Anaheim is nice and all but it doesn't compare to CityWalk in Hollywood, which is ten times better. I'd go to a few other places before I'd go to DtD. I'm a little shocked to hear people say DtD Anaheim is better than Orlando's, since the Anaheim version isn't really that special to me. What are the differences between DtD Anaheim and DtD Orlando, for those who've been to both?

Ask me this when I have more time. ... But basically, DD O-Town is sprawling around a lake because it was created in three different eras (70, 80s and 90s). It's too damn big. It was such a peaceful retreat from WDW's parks throughout the 70s and 80s and provided great nightlife starting when PI opened in 89. I like it now, though. I just prefer the vibe and feel of Anaheim's.

FWIW, Westside is the worst. If I didn't enjoy the dining there, then I'd likely never go down there. It feels the most mallish and not in a good way.

Oh, and these plans still reflect no idea what Disney will do with DQ in the future other than continue to let it stagnate.

Someone should tell a Twit named Corinne that discussing Disney social media figures and how they operate their Lifestyler businesses is not an obsession. It's called keeping a pulse on what is going on in the fan community and what certain 'personalities' (I use that term generously) are getting away with and why. Believe it or not C., but I have no interest in any of them personally (even though I know many of them have severe emotional/mental issues) beyond what they put out to the world. You should look into the definition of 'obsession' ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Do you stalk the two of them? This is getting really creepy how much you post about just the two of them. I don't see why you've taken such a personal interest in the comings and goings of two of them. I mean who the hell cares if he gets in trouble with them, what do you care? If he gets in trouble, he gets in trouble. WHO CARES!

I've never seen you post here and don't know who the hell you are. Yet, you accuse me of stalking? That is serious. When I start following them around, sending them threatening notes, leaving hate messages on their voicemail etc then you accuse me of that. Otherwise, I'd suggest you take a chill pill and back your off. I barely post about them at all. And if Tom Wannabe Lou hadn't of placed Disney proprietary artwork on his site and then had the gall to put watermarks on it (like stealing your girl/boy friends clothing and then urinating on it to mark it), he would not in any way be the subject of this post. You a pal of his?

I care how Disney operates in today's social media enviornment when they treat a Mommy Blogger from Iowa with as much or more import than a writer from the Washington Post, Boston Globe or USA Today.

I can't imagine Disney will be credentialing him for much of anything after the last two stunts he pulled.

And I am REALLY tired of seeing him on this MAGICal site and it's owner every time he has a chance. Is he jealous of something? Steve operates this site in a classy, above board manner. He doesn't pretend he's something he isn't. He doesn't get down in the mud. And anyone who thinks I am an apologist for @wdwmagic REALLY should know our history. We absolutely do NOT see eye to eye on many things relating to Disney.Someone should just look back at some of our banter. But he has treated me with respect as do his mods (one owes me an apple pie!) and that's why I am here.

All Tom does is jump around like a petulant rich-boy manchild who demands the spotlight. He may be a wonderful person in real life, but that isn't the persona he gives off. Still, I'd pay to get a charity wrestling (in PB&J with maybe some honey thrown in) match on the Poly beach between him and Merfie as they both need to get some aggression out in a safe way and we could benefit Make -A-Wish. Blondie could referee.

So, yeah, I do care what goes on with any blogger/podcaster/webmaster/pseudo celeb that has a relationship with TWDC. If he goes and gets a job at the Ponderosa on I-Drive, then I probably wouldn't have an interest.

Oh, and someone should tell him that I don't need an inflatable girlfriend.

Regardless this is what nearly every site outside of Lou does, Ricky, *********, Screamscape etc all do the same exact thing and don't get in trouble. Everybody watermarks their pictures no matter where they have come from before posting them if they are a person with a news story, picture, video etc first.

I don't care who is doing it. It's wrong. Plain and simple. I love how folks who steal, borrow and use IP of TWDC without ever thinking that maybe they shouldn't sans approval get into bitchfests when another online site takes it from them.

My posts/thoughts/ideas/and often breaking news are constantly borrowed by other sites. No one broke the George K story but me ... on THIS site. No one. In real media. In fake play media. No one. That was even after I reported he was touring Governor Voldemort around new Fantasyland in early December. But others took it and ran with it weeks later. I didn't like it, but I lived with it. I didn't demand credit on the other sites. Oh, and nothing that I reported was proprietary to WDW. It was breaking news regarding leadership of the resort.

Ignohippo

Anyone else notice that the Pollo Campero building is gone in these plans? I've heard rumors that its days were numbered – it would seem those rumors have been all but confirmed.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Anyone who follows this site saw the very public meltdown he had last week against WDWMagic

He used to be worse. He and Merfie would exchange the types of Tweets that likely should have resulted in some sort of intervention.

And he has some sort of hatred toward this site that I've never heard explained. Again, I have nothing against the guy. Maybe we'd be friends. Adam Roth liked me after I 'chased him away from MAGIC' and he seems like a genuinely great guy. But Tom's behavior in public(yes, Twitter is public TO THE WORLD unless you make your tweets private and not one Lifestyler is gonna do so because they want more followers to pressure Disney about how many people really care about their Tangled toilet pics!) is something that Disney is aware of.

They have been cracking down on who gets invited to what and those numbers will be pruned even more soon.

Is Disney going to have someone who could have a meltdown that negatively affects the company there or some wonderful stay at home mom of four from Colorado at the next press junket?

What would you do?

TP2000

Is Disney going to have someone who could have a meltdown that negatively affects the company there or some wonderful stay at home mom of four from Colorado at the next press junket?

What would you do?

What would I do if I was the Disney CEO tomorrow? I'd invite only the travel and business reporters from the New York Times, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Christian Science Monitor and a couple of Conde Naste magazines, and let all the rest of the frothing fan bloggers sit in their kitchens in their PJ's to pound out their frustrations on their laptops until their dishwasher was finished with the rinse cycle.

And the housewife from Colorado would remain at home, regardless of how wonderful she is.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Story is not everything and its not always appropriate, even for Disney. A good story/theme defines the experience. If just another other shop can be dropped in, then there is no real story, just a bunch of wasted time justifying aesthetic choices. Downtown Disney is a shopping "district" and as such stores will come and go based on finances, not the experience of a created place. If the story is anything like Pleasure Island (more so after the clubs started to be changed out) or Hyperion Wharf and also what I see in the art, it's just going to be a lot of hot air to say why this relatively new place looks like it is the sort of adaptive reuse that is happening in every major city. It's rationalization for copying and defaulting to Disney's tried and true aesthetic choices.

Yep.

Disney and WDI have become enamored with the idea of story over the past 15 years to the point of creating story that didn't exist or need to (Mansion) or doing it in a covoluted way (KS).

This is just another example. A mall/lifestyle center in which every building has been built in the last 38 years with many/most in the last 15-20, has no need for a backstory. It's dumb. It's a waste and even though I'm ''a malcontent, a discriminator, a stalker, a sad excuse for a human being, [who] always gets off scot-free ...'', I can see the stupidity in making this into something it isn't.

Tell, the damn stories in the parks.

At some point, can we have a discussion about the difference between decoration ( a la the All Stars or the AoA and theming like say the BW, Poly or DAK Lodge)? I know it's a different topic, but so many of today's fans truly don't get a very important distinction.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Then Boats, Trains, Bikes and finally, Buses! All with the same, generic storyline, annoying pop/country music and stereotypical characters! Yay!

Just kidding, haha. "Planes" could possibly be a better film than Cars was. I did notice, however, that Planes is a "DisneyToon film" and is not affiliated with Pixar in any way.

Believe it or not, but Planes is getting a lot of positive buzz on the left coast.

BTW, opening weekend for OZ is coming up. Wanna start projection pool?

PhotoDave219

He used to be worse. He and Merfie would exchange the types of Tweets that likely should have resulted in some sort of intervention.

And he has some sort of hatred toward this site that I've never heard explained. Again, I have nothing against the guy. Maybe we'd be friends. Adam Roth liked me after I 'chased him away from MAGIC' and he seems like a genuinely great guy. But Tom's behavior in public(yes, Twitter is public TO THE WORLD unless you make your tweets private and not one Lifestyler is gonna do so because they want more followers to pressure Disney about how many people really care about their Tangled toilet pics!) is something that Disney is aware of.

I had a rather positive exchange with Tom. He freely admits he overreacted.

His main valid point (that i happen to agree with) is that people shouldnt be taking content from other sites. That does not excuse peoples (or his) behavior and I tend to hit the ceiling as well as when people steal my photos (i've learned to invoice them instead) but if someone posts something on their Disney site, that does not give anyone free reign to repost it here.

I really don't see where harping on his behavior will come of anything positive and it would probably do everyone some good if we just let try and be the mature people we claim to be and let it go.

I'm not defending him nor sticking up for him; just polietly suggesting we let it go.

Ignohippo

Yep.

Disney and WDI have become enamored with the idea of story over the past 15 years to the point of creating story that didn't exist or need to (Mansion) or doing it in a covoluted way (KS).

This is just another example. A mall/lifestyle center in which every building has been built in the last 38 years with many/most in the last 15-20, has no need for a backstory. It's dumb. It's a waste and even though I'm ''a malcontent, a discriminator, a stalker, a sad excuse for a human being, [who] always gets off scot-free ...'', I can see the stupidity in making this into something it isn't.

Tell, the damn stories in the parks.

At some point, can we have a discussion about the difference between decoration ( a la the All Stars or the AoA and theming like say the BW, Poly or DAK Lodge)? I know it's a different topic, but so many of today's fans truly don't get a very important distinction.

Wow. After finally seeing the plans, it's much more generic than I had feared. The names were bad – the concept art is even worse. Talk about uninspired. Not at all on a level I would associate with Disney (even at the worst of times). IMO, everything looks incredibly cheap. Even the suspended railroad tracks look odd and horribly out of place (and it looks like they will be taking a good chunk of the already overcrowded pedestrian walkway to build it as well). Brilliant!

The "Town Center" concept art really does look like an out-of-date outlet mall that was done on the cheap back in the 80s. These concepts don't look nearly as nice as the pics of The American or Grove that I've seen.

The backstory is not only incurably lame, but it makes no sense. It sounds more like something the architect firm came up with at the last minute during a brainstorming session than something Disney would come up with. If that's Disney creativity at its finest, the company really is in trouble.

djlaosc

True. But the internationals are MUCH more likely to vist The Mall at Millennia and The Florida Mall than the family of DVCers from Boston or Cherry Hill or Atlanta.

We have done Florida Mall (2002, 2005), Mall at Millenia (2005, 2007, 2011), Orlando Premium Outlets: Vineland Avenue (2002, 2005, 2007, 2011), Orlando Premium Outlets: International Drive (2002, 2005, 2007, 2011).

Granted, we are there for 2-3 weeks, so we have the time...

And, as I said, get me a "fye" or a "Gamestop" - something I can't get over here (I'm looking at you, Topshop, but I don't know how common that is in the US - it could be a big deal...)

John

Yep.

IMO DAK Lodge and the WL are the last two projects that TDO has done I would consider doing it the "Disney way"......incredible detail and themeing. AOA is very nice but just the sheer size of the resort turns me off. Depending on where your room is you need a bus just to get to the bus stop. More and more I am losing that loving feeling for Disney resorts. Its becoming more aparent that the only reason for the high cost of staying at a Disney proprty is simply because of the attachment of the brand name Disney attached to it......I say whatever.After my last stay at POP I will never stay at another value resort again....never!

I have stayed at several Deluxes but if you talk about value vs cost for a Disney property the mods are your best bet. My son got a quote from priceline for a SW hotel for $32 a night.....$32!!!!!!!

WDWFanDave

Although I find the plans interesting...it does seem like a massive project, and as much as I like discussing the future plans and reading all of the banter back and forth...

Can we really expect to see anything come of this before the next decade begins? How long did it take to build (not design and build, just build) the FLE? A restaurant (one), rides (one remains incomplete), 2 gift shops, 2 snack areas, and a meet & greet?

And, unless I missed it, have we even begun to consider what the budget (and then the actual cost) of all of this will be? I'm sure that it will bring great ROI to shareholders...the retail contracts will ensure that. But, if this budget takes money away from the already significantly declining cap ex (just listed to JR every time he speaks), then, I'm sorry, but I don't approve.

alphac2005

lol - I can't help but laugh at some of the reaction here

it's a shopping mall
just a way to get people to spend money
why go to Disney for this when I can do this at home
etc...etc...

geez people cmon... Disney is improving on something, expanding it, and making it somewhat appealing from the photos and all some want to do is complain.....so my question to those who apparently think DTD is supposed to be a 5th theme park or something, what would YOU do?

I think the aforementioned sentiment is because it's the realization by many here that the company will spend money on things that get their "guests" to spend more money, which as far as they're concerned is everything but the theme parks that they can't even properly maintain.

I mean who the [FILL IN THE BLANK] wouldn't want to buy an Apple product on vacation or buy a new Coach purse? I'm all for them improving the area and the parking has been terrible for years, but having centerpieces of the shopping district the same old shop you can find in the mall, where's the innovation? Oh yeah, there isn't because Disney isn't in the innovation business anymore. Leased out retail and dining and the few "Disney" shops have the same product in them.

Hopefully in the reworking (from what it sounds) the issue of the walkways will be dealt with that people will be able to move much better around since there is an endless barrage of the stroller class that could care less about anyone else but themselves. And yes, I have kids, I just actually care to have courtesy, unlike so many that seem to litter DTD today.

Bolna

His main valid point (that i happen to agree with) is that people shouldnt be taking content from other sites. That does not excuse peoples (or his) behavior and I tend to hit the ceiling as well as when people steal my photos (i've learned to invoice them instead) but if someone posts something on their Disney site, that does not give anyone free reign to repost it here.

Well, the difference of course is that if it is the photograph you took, you own the copyright. If it is artwork created by TWDC, they own the copyright and not whichever website that puts it out. I am sometimes surprised how little Disney seems to care to protect their copyrighted material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom