'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

Funmeister

Quick tidbit of useless Disney knowledge...most of the trees on Kilimanjaro Safaris are oak trees (mature oak trees) with the tops cut off. These were not on the property when the park was built as the entire land used for the park was poisoned and cleared to help deter native plants from invading.

I understand that some oak trees can grow to have a trunk eight to ten feet (or more) in diameter. The oaks that are transplanted are not live oaks of this nature.

luv

Didn't I read somewhere that the Liberty Tree was replaced at some point? Like the old one got diseased or moldy or something? Or is my memory off?

cslafferty

Ok I tried really hard to read all 42 pages of posts before I commented. But, somewhere around page 20 my eyes glazed over, and then I jumped to the end and landed in the middle of a conversation about oak trees.
My two cents about Disney Springs (for anyone who cares!):
Glad they're finally moving on this. Plans sound pretty good. Like most everyone else, I'm hoping for more adult nightlife options. I'm also hoping for some good table service restaurants for more dining options and to help free up some of EPCOT's prime dining spots. We typically visit in early December when the parks close earlier, so I'm looking forward to having a place to spend some of our evenings.

NoChesterHester

42 pages in I'm not going to go back and try to find the posts, but is it the consensus that Downtown Disney was a better name?

Why? That wasn't the original name of the district and honestly there isn't much of anything "downtown" about it.

Oh and we want to talk about ridiculous back stories... Ever read Pleasure Island's? Horrible.

The Empress Lilly

Why? That wasn't the original name of the district and honestly there isn't much of anything "downtown" about it.

Oh and we want to talk about ridiculous back stories... Ever read Pleasure Island's? Horrible.
Yes! on both counts. 'Downtown Disney' hasn't got more going for it than alliteration.

And PI indeed is just when the 'superflous convoluted backstory' psychosis got hold of WDI.

Funmeister

They used to have a Cast Member team building class called "Pluto's Pursuit" that was a scavenger hunt on PI that used the "history" (back story) to complete various puzzles. After the island was refurbished one year they did not replace all of the "historical landmark" story signs and the class was moved to World Showcase to be completed prior to park opening.

jt04

[pesky & mean]
jt, you know, you really ought to try to make your first visit to WDW one of these days. They have this park, the MK, and smack dab in the middle of its best land stands a massive live oak that Disney transplanted there as a fully grown, 40 ton, 100 year old mature oak. With the technology of 42 years ago.
[/pesky & mean :p ]

Liberty+Tree+1.jpg

I love that tree but can we wait that long? The elevated track provides shade and a new space from day 1.

WDW1974

This sums up the last few posts nicely.

I never get why people embrace being classless. My personal pet peeve is this store in the Indianapolis airport that prominently displays 'cow-tipping' shirts. They're absolutely tasteless and reinforce every negative stereotype about the state. They are what greets people arriving into the state.

Yet people around here wonder why there's such a problem with brain-drain.

They're all over. Try going to ANY beach town in FL and not get the tackiest, trashiest tees. ... And I'm stunned when people go around wearing tees that proudly proclaim 'I'm an a-hole' and the like.

But, again, I do NOT have a high opinion of the human species in general or American society in particular these days. ... Now ... left off on your post Friday ... am I really going to go through 15 pages more of posts on an announcement that announced nothing? I hope not ...

WDW1974

That would be like selling the McRib year round. It wouldn't have the same type of draw. It would just feel like you muddled up WS for no real reason.

Go to Germany.

The McRib is offered year-round. Only nation on Earth (fast food factoid of the day courtesy of Where's George: The Spirited Search for WDW's MIA New Prez!)

PhotoDave219

This sums up the last few posts nicely.

I never get why people embrace being classless. My personal pet peeve is this store in the Indianapolis airport that prominently displays 'cow-tipping' shirts. They're absolutely tasteless and reinforce every negative stereotype about the state. They are what greets people arriving into the state.

Yet people around here wonder why there's such a problem with brain-drain.

Tom, what is that a photo of?

WDW1974

Yeah, I've done the Disney Cruise Line and especially on the Dream that is about as well enforced as a Fastpass return time.

I agree that it's nice to have that area, but I think it has to be within the confines of the restaurant (i.e. stopping at the door) and not a cordoned off area anymore.

I think we are saying the same thing.

I have only cruised on the Magic and will be sailing on the Wonder later this year, but I can tell you it has been enforced on EVERY sailing I've been on. And IT WILL be enforced on my upcoming cruise, I can promise that! :)

I would guess that since the Dream is the ship designed to get newbies hooked that Disney bends rules more, but it isn't acceptable. Brats don't have to be everywhere.

WDW1974

I understand that the west side needs more shade and this is their solution. But I'm more concerned with this serving as DECORATION rather than theming. How will this look against say Bongos? or AMC? or Splitsville? If they want to theme this area they need to make the space feel integrated. There are cheaper ways to add more shading to the west side without creating this albatross.

Just a note that I skipped pages 29-39 and hopped in here because I don't have the time or desire to wade thru that much, so sorry to anyone who might have made a comment that I wind up repeating.

I tend to agree with dreamy above, I also think it's sorta a very lazy way to theme something. Instead of adding something that might make sense contextually and from a story PoV (although I'd argue that a shopping center doesn't need a backstory, let alone such a convoluted/intricate one), Florida does NOT have these type of structures and certainly didn't in places like Winter Haven circa 1890-1920. It just doesn't make any sense.

jt04

Just a note that I skipped pages 29-39 and hopped in here because I don't have the time or desire to wade thru that much, so sorry to anyone who might have made a comment that I wind up repeating.

I tend to agree with dreamy above, I also think it's sorta a very lazy way to theme something. Instead of adding something that might make sense contextually and from a story PoV (although I'd argue that a shopping center doesn't need a backstory, let alone such a convoluted/intricate one), Florida does NOT have these type of structures and certainly didn't in places like Winter Haven circa 1890-1920. It just doesn't make any sense.

And I thought you would have glowing praise for the plan.

WDW1974

I think what is being missed is the actual theme. Disney Springs is not really themed to Old Florida. It is much more a lifestyle center themed to a festival marketplace which utilizes an Old Florida site. The story is one of adaptive reuse. You're still in the 21st century, not the early 20th century. The West Side is the old industrial part of the town that has been redeveloped to now house a bowling alley, a cuban restaurant, a waning arcade, a Cirque show, etc. The West Side is aiming to be something like the Chelsea Market. There is no need for there to be a connection between the individual experiences and the overall aesthetic because that is not a concern for adaptive reuse. Chelsea Market uses an old Nabisco factory building but it never attempts to give the experience of a Nabisco factory. It's sort of like Paradise Pier or Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama in that the choice of theme is shallow and undermines the ability of the theme to really define the aesthetics and experiences.

I think you are getting to what you think the theme is (and likely what Disney wants people to think), but I haven't heard much of that talk at all. Disney wants to place an Old Florida 'overlay' on the entire development (which would be decoration) and call it placemaking (which would be theming).

The Westside is still going to look largely like a concrete 90s lifestyle center with some decorator touches thrown in to 'age' it.

I certainly agree this is shallow. I also don't really care all that much. It was a Disney mall before and will be a nicer Disney mall later. Not much more to say (despite the number of pages).

WDW1974

With Danny Cockerell fries on the side.;) In all honesty though, I'm 50/50 on the food trucks. I'm all for more food options, just not to keen on actual food trucks playing a role here in DS. Now I need to get me a churro.:D

My biggest concern over the trucks is they have been quite popular for years now in major foodie cities. And DCA even brought them in during Glow Fest a few years ago. ... I wonder if this is Disney again instead of trendsetting, following trends years after they start.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom