'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

flynnibus

Premium Member
It doesn't look like it. It looks like 4 escalators. I've seen that. Heck, they have it in The Land Pavilion in EPCOT. Which always made me curious. Why are their stairs next to an escalator? As Mitch Hedberg said once “An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You would never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience.”

Until you actually have to work on said escalator...

SirLink

It doesn't look like it. It looks like 4 escalators. I've seen that. Heck, they have it in The Land Pavilion in EPCOT. Which always made me curious. Why are their stairs next to an escalator? As Mitch Hedberg said once “An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You would never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience.”

Going up on an escalator - fine, I had a nasty accident on an escalator - going down - but we will leave it at that,:)

jt04

Reading more on Festival Bay. Possibilities include the following.....

German Beer Hall, Toby Keith Bar, Covered Bizarre (think Istanbul) and permanent food truck park with music and outdoor tables and also a farmers market.

German Beer Hall seems brilliant for attracting area tourists. Toby Keith for tourists and locals. Farmers Market also for locals and time shares where buying fresh - often from local vendors - is the new new.

The Bizarre is brilliant and could be a tourist attraction on its own if done right. Many people have not experienced such a thing and it could create great buzz. Could it possibly include a Spice Market section?

Finally the food truck installation could become very popular with everyone as the latest trends can easily be added. Even Disney has jumped on the food truck bandwagon. It is an awesome concept.

Road improvements coming to I-Drive along with I-Drive Live, new Festival Bay and more. Not to mention the areas theme parks. Serious competition for the mouse coming from this area and it is exciting.

If I had the money I'd be investing in the International Drive area.

ASilmser

Don't mean to be negative about the parking garage design, because it LOOKS fabulous. But with all that glass, won't it be, well...kinda HOT? Or at least VERY hard to keep cool?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Don't mean to be negative about the parking garage design, because it LOOKS fabulous. But with all that glass, won't it be, well...kinda HOT? Or at least VERY hard to keep cool?
I assume the parking areas will be open air (not enclosed). Just the loby area might be enclosed and have to be air conditioned. Having been in a parking garage in Vegas in August I can say that they can get very hot, but it's not like your hanging out there. It's still less hot than having the sun beat down on your car.

G00fyDad

Not if it is designed right. They can design these things to promote serious air flow with even the smallest of breezes.

lazyboy97o

The glass should face mostly towards the north which will minimize direct sun. Then glass choices and other designs elements can also help keep the area cool even without mechanical systems.

ASilmser

I guess if they keep the air moving and use the right kind of glass it will be fine. Any atriums with this much glass in FL that might serve as an example? I don't know much about anything outside of Walt Disney World. My first thought was the imagination pavilion. Going inside there is not torturous (if you stay away from the attractions, that is).

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
There are some pretty gruesome videos out there about escalator accidents. Lets just say that the stair park broke and it ATE a man.

G00fyDad

There are some pretty gruesome videos out there about escalator accidents. Lets just say that the stair park broke and it ATE a man.

I've seen it happen. :confused: A buddy of mine fell when an escalator at the mall near here froze up one day and stopped instantly. He went forward and fell only a short bit down the thing, but when he hit his shoulder hit first and it laid him open on those sharper points on the step edge. I forget how many stitches he had to get. He was all ready to sue the mall and everything. They settled out of court with him.

jt04

Apricot Lane will close soon and the surf based shop is moving to West Side so that essentially eliminates retail on the former PI. Perfect chance to wall off vast areas to begin deconstruction/reconstruction. Almost seems they know what they are doing.

jt04

The West End is now situated to be able to handle nightly entertainment in ways PI could not.

Bonus: There is room to expand.

They just need new entrances to DQ and AMC IMO. I think this would work well for families in the evening.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've seen it happen. :confused: A buddy of mine fell when an escalator at the mall near here froze up one day and stopped instantly. He went forward and fell only a short bit down the thing, but when he hit his shoulder hit first and it laid him open on those sharper points on the step edge. I forget how many stitches he had to get. He was all ready to sue the mall and everything. They settled out of court with him.

Having trouble taking you serious with the pimp dog;).

That is really unfortunate. I am always a little nervous on those really long escalators like the ones that they have at arenas and stadiums now. That would be a long way to fall. With the the old school concrete ramps it took forever to get up to the top, but I never ended up with stitches.

lazyboy97o

Apricot Lane will close soon and the surf based shop is moving to West Side so that essentially eliminates retail on the former PI. Perfect chance to wall off vast areas to begin deconstruction/reconstruction. Almost seems they know what they are doing.
So Pleasure Island was a problem for years because it bisected the rest of Downtown Disney, but closing it off completely is now a good idea?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom