'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

maxairmike

I'm pretty sure the security offices and other things are down there underneath Mannequins. They could move them, but I don't know if they'd want to.

jt04

Why can't the old Mannequins building be torn down?

Someone once mentioned a lot of the utilities are there. Technically anything could be done but it may not be practical.

In any case, the artwork shows the building staying and almost certainly repurposed as shopping or eatery. Would also make a nice venue for live entertainment IMO.

TraderJack

I tend to agree with dreamy above, I also think it's sorta a very lazy way to theme something. Instead of adding something that might make sense contextually and from a story PoV (although I'd argue that a shopping center doesn't need a backstory, let alone such a convoluted/intricate one), Florida does NOT have these type of structures and certainly didn't in places like Winter Haven circa 1890-1920. It just doesn't make any sense.

Winter Haven?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Someone once mentioned a lot of the utilities are there. Technically anything could be done but it may not be practical.

In any case, the artwork shows the building staying and almost certainly repurposed as shopping or eatery. Would also make a nice venue for live entertainment IMO.
I remember hearing that the main electrical panel for the whole island was inside that building. Not sure how much credence I put into that rumor...

Longhairbear

I am interested in learning what the garages will look like from the DTD shops and across the lake at SSR. Universal's garages are unsightly but at least they are far removed from the theme parks, not really noticeable. I wonder what a 3-or-4 story parking behemoth is going to looking like while strolling through DTD. I'm sure Disney is taking it into consideration but inquiring minds want to know!
The parking structure at DLR is not ugly, but it isn't attractive either. They did their best by adding hanging plants over the sides of each level, and the entrance is themed. It also basically gets traffic funneled from the freeway. It has a contemporary look to it, with 2 huge escalators, and elevators.

G00fyDad

I wonder how long it will take them to get the garages built if they start in April. Do you think they will be completed by October?

jt04

Yep. This is DEFINITELY not Hyperion Wharf

Thing about this is that HW would have led to this scale of development because it would have proven demand. And the aesthetics of HW still sound cool with the Edison backstory. That said, I definitely like this plan as it will build more and much sooner.

Can't wait for new artwork from Lee!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I wonder how long it will take them to get the garages built if they start in April. Do you think they will be completed by October?

I am assuming that the garages are going over existing parking lots. If that is the case I image that they will have to build them one at a time so as not to take away to much parking while they build. Also, since part of the new areas will be built where an existing parking lot it I would assume they would the garages pretty soon since they won't be able to start that work until the garages are done.

articos

I am assuming that the garages are going over existing parking lots. If that is the case I image that they will have to build them one at a time so as not to take away to much parking while they build. Also, since part of the new areas will be built where an existing parking lot it I would assume they would the garages pretty soon since they won't be able to start that work until the garages are done.
Correct. West Garage gets going first.

Re: all the speculation over how the garages will look, look to Americana and the Grove. Elkus is very good at hiding parking decks, and both have elegant lobbies and indoor/outdoor escalators with large windows in their parking garages. Americana built a wrought iron elevator tower with working mechanisms that show to the public space inside Americana. The tower is rigged with LED lighting programmed to match the nighttime fountain shows, and is an attraction in itself. I wouldn't worry too much about the sightines.

This is the (not really) ugly side: http://www.hbparkco.com/portfolio/parking-structures
The top photo in the following link is the side facing the greenspace park within the mall - you can barely see the top two floors of the parking deck peeking above the facade. And the last photo is the parking structure lobby - you are standing under the escalators with the light hanging between them: http://www.iastage.com/specialty_rigging_americana_at_brand

G00fyDad

Correct. West Garage gets going first.

Re: all the speculation over how the garages will look, look to Americana and the Grove. Elkus is very good at hiding parking decks, and both have elegant lobbies and indoor/outdoor escalators with large windows in their parking garages. Americana built a wrought iron elevator tower with working mechanisms that show to the public space inside Americana. The tower is rigged with LED lighting programmed to match the nighttime fountain shows, and is an attraction in itself. I wouldn't worry too much about the sightines.

This is the (not really) ugly side: http://www.hbparkco.com/portfolio/parking-structures
The top photo in the following link is the side facing the greenspace park within the mall - you can barely see the top two floors of the parking deck peeking above the facade. And the last photo is the parking structure lobby - you are standing under the escalators with the light hanging between them: http://www.iastage.com/specialty_rigging_americana_at_brand

I know this may sound stupid, but I'd really like to see some concept art for these garages. They could really turn out well if thought and care goes into their design and construction.

Mouse Detective

Are we going to be getting a sub forum for Disney Springs as we have for New Fantasyland? It would be nice to keep everything in one place.

Isn't this it? If you go into the very beginning of this forum thread Steve has actually offered several initial choices, one of which goes into this comment chain. But there are also other DS options.

djkidkaz

Isn't this it? If you go into the very beginning of this forum thread Steve has actually offered several initial choices, one of which goes into this comment chain. But there are also other DS options.

It would be easier if it had its own sub forum in news and rumors. Once construction starts we'll be getting photo update threads and such.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom