'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
OK- toadies will work.
I think many people have been enjoying this discussion and would appreciate it continuing along a sensible path. Can we please, for once keep your feud with 74 out of the discussion. It's obvious to everyone that you have polar opposite views on things and that the two of you seemingly enjoy baiting each other. But I think I can speak for many by saying- it's getting kind of predictable and boring for the rest of us.

Nemo14

I think many people have been enjoying this discussion and would appreciate it continuing along a sensible path. Can we please, for once keep your feud with 74 out of the discussion. It's obvious to everyone that you have polar opposite views on things and that the two of you seemingly enjoy baiting each other. But I think I can speak for many by saying- it's getting kind of predictable and boring for the rest of us.

^
*triple like*

jt04

No problem. And you are doing a great job countering the negativism. Allows me much needed free time. Have a good night/morning. Wish I was there.

WDW1974

jdmdisney99

I actually like the name Disney Springs. It doesnt sound like a retirement community to me; those are usually named after a tree or a person.

WDW1974

And people wonder why Jason Garcia seems desperate to get off the Disney beat...

I don't know why. He can handle them with kid gloves and not ever have to worry about taking heat from his editors. Seems like an easy gig to me. Not too hard to rewrite press releases and add a few canned quotes.

SirLink

Potter has not been "named" for Universal Studios yet either. And the sky is falling.

But we know Potter is though...

We don't know what the anchor stores will be which is kinda important when your building little more than a shopping centre...

WDW1974

Yeah and from what I heard of some of the internal squabbling with the Planet Hollywood contract I am not sure who has actually signed on the dotted line.

I still don't know what the end result from the PH negotiations are. I keep hearing they are moving to iDrive Live

I think PH will stay put, but will also open some operation (look to their Vegas ops or their new Planet Dailies concept at The Grove) on I-Drive.

Atomicmickey

Um ... was it just me or did Tom seem nervous and uncomfortable during that? .... because it was painful to listen to.

I was just coming in here to say that same thing. He didn't seem to have a full
handle on the facts, like he was searching the room (and perhaps a recently
briefed brain) for answers.

He's been there for days, and ostensibly involved in this for months and months.

Maybe he had some bad shrimp for lunch or something. Odd.

jt04

But we know Potter is though...

We don't know what the anchor stores will be which is kinda important when your building little more than a shopping centre...

Why would Disney announce a certain clothing store and risk loosing a potential 'other' clothing store by doing so. Apples/Oranges. We are talking about competitive retail businesses and likely ongoing negotiations. I trust Steve when he says many vendors are already on board.

Genie of the Lamp

Um ... was it just me or did Tom seem nervous and uncomfortable during that? .... because it was painful to listen to.

You aren't alone.;) Tom was most definitely uncomfortable/antsy and really didn't want to go into detail on those fair questions the reporters asked him. Just look at his facial expressions for crying out loud and the filler words used in that video (uhh/um count: 15). Can't believe someone of his pedigree would stutter so much on something he got so involved in. Yeah he definitely didn't want to be their and take questions from those reporters. Never found him to be a good speaker to begin with.

luv

Oh I'm a dolt. I don't watch Breaking Bad and didn't get the reference. My bad
Well, you should! It's a great show. I guarantee you that if you watch 2 seconds of the first show, you'll wish to keep watching and will watch the entire episode. Followed by the next, lol. (Unless you detest violence on TV, in which case you shouldn't watch it.) And if you don't like Skylar much, join the club!

Disney Springs:

Still not convinced it will happen, of course.

Like the name. Could be worse.

Locals - regular malls are having a rough time competing with amazon and online shopping. Not sure why Disney thinks they'll be better, especially if you have to be outside. If I wanted to hit a mall, I'd go to Millenia before any outdoor thing. But I do most shopping online, like everyone else.

Tourists - don't see too many of them wanting to go to a mall-type place. But DTD usually has a crowd. I don't know.

Parking garages. About time. :) Maybe they'll even put in moving sidewalks! Innovative ideas there. ;)

If it's pretty, with trees and flowers and stuff - airy and light - I think it will be a welcome addition. Much better than a wharf!!!

But I won't believe it until it opens.

Figments Friend

-
So having had a chance to really look things over, i like what i am seeing for DTD.
Two things however jump out at me and say 'Huh?'...
The raised 'railroad' fixtures...and the Disney Springs name.

First, the raised fixtures.
I can understand their purpose ( shade/shelter from the elements outside ) but i am reminded of the ol' Skyway. Was not one of the reasons this attraction was closed was because of problems related to Guests dropping things on others below?
I can see kids standing up there, licking their ice cream cones, and dribbling half of it down on people below them. I will not even begin to think about other items being 'dribbled' down on passers-by below.
It will be interesting to see how they plan on curbing this at the Springs. Looks like a place where not-so-polite younger Guests can pull off some pranks.

Second, the 'Disney Springs' name.
Yeah, i makes me recall old-school Florida..back before Mickey was in town and it seemed every other tourist destination had 'Springs' in the name.
I can dig that...but just 'Disney Springs'? It seems the name could use another word....maybe 'Disney's Sunshine Springs'...or the like. I can see how the previous name 'Downtown Disney' would not really fit the new theme, but the 'Springs' thing...hmm...seems more could be done with that.

The full color concept art looks nice....as art. As a actual set of buildings...well, i will wait to see and pass final judgement. Seems a bit pedestrian-ish and not overly exciting, but i know the developers have done wonders to other shopping areas elsehwhere. So i feel good about this at this early stage.

Looks like the loud, colorful edge is being erased and a more mellow approach is being taken.
It will be interesting to see what goes into those buildings. I am hoping for more exclusive/unusual places that cannot be found at your local mall back home.
Here's to hoping....

SirLink

Why would Disney announce a certain clothing store and risk loosing a potential 'other' clothing store by doing so. Apples/Oranges. We are talking about competitive retail businesses and likely ongoing negotiations. I trust Steve when he says many vendors are already on board.

If you need is 75+ vendors your going to need multiple fashion retailers, but if you show you have big brands already committed to the project - then at least you can sure up more vendors easily - an easy one would be to announce Coca Cola, Nintendo and Apple have agreed to open stores ... show some renders of those and at least you have something tangible to "excite" a demographic of guests.

WDW1974

Many people are commenting that it looks generic and assuming we have all the information on the Disney designed features being added when in fact I am sure they are holding a lot back.

It does look generic and bland, but the current version isn't exactly a model of beauty. But Disney isn't holding back anything ... well, except every tenant that they hope to have included.

Just as they have done with the Shanghai project. Just as Universal has done with Potter 2.0 which is well underway but has not been officially announced. If a certain spirit was at war with Uni like he is with Disney he would be saying how troubled the potter project is because they have not officially announced what will be inside the buildings and infrastructure that is underway.

SDL is entirely different. Disney gets its marching orders from Shendi, which gets them from Beijing. But Disney has also been going back and forth on budgets and what will and won't be in the project. I shouldn't have to explain to anyone that a shopping center isn't the same as a theme park. ... And why bring me into the discussion? I am not at war with any company, let alone Disney. Potter hasn't been announced because UNI has MAJOR additions opening first that they want the focus on. The big difference here, again, is they are actually building SOMETHING. You may want to debate what you think is being built, but clearly something is. Right now, nothing is being built at DD and nothing of consequence has for a long, long time.

What you have is corporations that are becoming better at using social media and creating publicity and amplifying buzz.

Agreed there. The site that the news was 'leaked' to was done intentionally to drum up talk and excitment for the project. Disney was not angry that the info was put out -- their own O-Town ABC affiliate ran the artwork with Tom Corliss' watermarks running up and down it. He's a tool for them whether he realizes it or not. He didn't do anything bad. Just like with MM+. There's a reason why Disney is going there. My guess is this site has refused to put out company art/plans that aren't official. And Mongello won't. So, they look at who's left that gets a decent number of eyes and can spread it. Tommy can.

jt04

If you need is 75+ vendors your going to need multiple fashion retailers, but if you show you have big brands already committed to the project - then at least you can sure up more vendors easily - an easy one would be Coca Cola, Nintendo and Apple have agreed to open stores ... show some renders of those and at least you have something tangible to "excite" a demographic of guests.

I defer to what Steve has said. He has not mislead us yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom