Disney slowly losing our dollars.

Disneyhead'71

What are those old sayings?

"Familiarity breed contempt."
"Absence makes the heart grow fonder."

Apparently old people know what they are talking about. :)

real mad hatter

Hatter, I hate to break it to you, especially since I am over on the food and dining boards quite a bit as well. But WDW food ... most of it is par at best. Add in WDW prices, and it is not worth it. There are some good dishes, and some standouts, but price points - especially as of late, have killed them.

-dave
Agree Dave. The difference between yourselves and us poor Scots is we don't have so many choices of cuisines,( well I don't ) so to me WDW is a Wonka food paradise and your portions are double the size therefore making it a better deal.Example,new owners of a restaurant in my village charge $40.00 for a fillet of beef,$15.00 for the potatoe & veg,$5.00 for the steak sauce.Thats a total of $60.00 and that's just your entree for one person,and I wouldn't class this as a signature restaurant.P.S. The fillet steak is approx 6oz.:(

Disneyhead'71

I do think it is a matter of perspective. When I lived in West Virginia and the best 2 restaurants in town were Ruby Tuesdays and The Outback Steakhouse, eating at WDW was a treat and something to look forward to. Not that I live in a major metropolitan area where there are at least 10 steakhouses better than ANYTHING at WDW. I am including the Bull and Bear at the Waldorf as the the 10 in the metro area and not part of the "ANYTHING at WDW" since Bonnet Creek isn't really part of WDW. But it is borderline and could be actually considered either. Anyway, I have a lot of off property options that are better and cheaper than a lot of WDW offerings and that wasn't the case in West Virginia. That is all I am really trying to say.

BigRedDad

The difference between yourselves and us poor Scots is we don't have so many choices of cuisines
I can concur with this. I was staying in a little town called Largs for work in Greenock. I can tell you the best cuisine there was on tap. The food was very bland and small portions. Fish and chips were the best. The nice lady in one of the pubs/restaurants walked back to her house to get me Tabasco.

sweetpee_1993

Agree Dave. The difference between yourselves and us poor Scots is we don't have so many choices of cuisines,( well I don't ) so to me WDW is a Wonka food paradise and your portions are double the size therefore making it a better deal.Example,new owners of a restaurant in my village charge $40.00 for a fillet of beef,$15.00 for the potatoe & veg,$5.00 for the steak sauce.Thats a total of $60.00 and that's just your entree for one person,and I wouldn't class this as a signature restaurant.P.S. The fillet steak is approx 6oz.:(

Oh Hatter, I'm sure there's others around who feel as I do. I *wish* I could bring you and your family home with me! I would cook you stuff that would blow your mind. I'd take you to restaurants that can make the heavens sing for a fraction of what Disney charges. If I lived where you do, yeah, I'd prob'ly feel much the same as you. :)

real mad hatter

I can concur with this. I was staying in a little town called Largs for work in Greenock. I can tell you the best cuisine there was on tap. The food was very bland and small portions. Fish and chips were the best. The nice lady in one of the pubs/restaurants walked back to her house to get me Tabasco.
Ah the Tabasco lady from Largs. She's a hot one. Largs is famous for four things..Fish & chips...Nardini's ice cream..The boat to Rothesay..And the boat back.;)

real mad hatter

Oh Hatter, I'm sure there's others around who feel as I do. I *wish* I could bring you and your family home with me! I would cook you stuff that would blow your mind. I'd take you to restaurants that can make the heavens sing for a fraction of what Disney charges. If I lived where you do, yeah, I'd prob'ly feel much the same as you. :)
Ive a friend who lives in Austin,Texas,and his favourite eat out joint,if if remember was Salt Lick or something like that.When I visited sister in law in L.A. Each night for three weeks I tried everything from Cuban To Southern cuisine and I was in heaven.

sweetpee_1993

Ive a friend who lives in Austin,Texas,and his favourite eat out joint,if if remember was Salt Lick or something like that.When I visited sister in law in L.A. Each night for three weeks I tried everything from Cuban To Southern cuisine and I was in heaven.

Well consider yourself having a standing invite for gumbo or jambalaya, your choice. I'll even bake a dessert for ya. ;)

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Well consider yourself having a standing invite for gumbo or jambalaya, your choice. I'll even bake a dessert for ya. ;)

Then after you visit sweetpee, stop on by Georgia and we will head to Savannah for southern food heaven at Mrs. Wilkes, or I can throw a pig in the smoker for about 18 hours then drench it in some homemade BBQ sauce.

epcotisbest

Original Poster

There is a place in Austin we went to once, a tex- mex place called The Oasis, where, when the sun sets over the lake, everybody stops what they are doing, the band stops mid song, waitresses stop serving food, and everyone stands and applauds the sunset. Gotta go back there someday.

menamechris

Hatter, I hate to break it to you, especially since I am over on the food and dining boards quite a bit as well. But WDW food ... most of it is par at best. Add in WDW prices, and it is not worth it. There are some good dishes, and some standouts, but price points - especially as of late, have killed them.

And WDW completely misses the boat with the locals on dining, as well. They have restaurants across property that sit practically empty because of the ridiculous prices. How they are hitting their target profits, I have no idea. I think Disney is (incorrectly) trying to handle this problem with TiW. Of course, you have to pay $100-$125 to get into the dining program, and THEN even with the 20% discount the prices are still ludicrous. I guess TDO doesn't mind empty tables...

MattM

Has park attendance suffered during these increases? Has attendance went down?
Haven't seen that anywhere either.

Yes, $DIS is certainly concerned about attendance at its Florida parks. Take a look at their quarterly conference calls and other statements made by management.

Phonedave

If that was the case, then I can see where WDW would be a wonderful opportunity to dine. Quite honestly, smaller portion sizes are fine with me.

I feel bad for you, with such limited dining options.

-dave

Phonedave

I was watching some "Behind the Scenes of WDW" special the other night (I think it was on the travel channel). Not much of a "behind the scenes" as much as it was a thinly veiled hour long commercial for WDW, but that is not the point. Twice during the program, a Disney person (they interviews a number, Marty, Meg, etc) said "I think when a person comes to WDW they have the highest expecations of any event that happens in their lives". Now I don't know if others feel that way, but I sure as heck do not have that high an expectation for WDW (at least not anymore, because I know what they do and do not deliver). But if Disney is pricing themselves as a place that fullfills the highest expectations of a lifetime (and come on, when it all comes down to it, it is bunch of theme parks) then they really need to deliver on such a promise.

-dave

real mad hatter

If that was the case, then I can see where WDW would be a wonderful opportunity to dine. Quite honestly, smaller portion sizes are fine with me.

I feel bad for you, with such limited dining options.

-dave
Oh I make up for it in my weekend trips to the big city.In fact I'am sorta glad I stay far away from the city lights.I'am on a diet.

real mad hatter

I prefer the nations capital myself, though my grandfather will be spinning in his grave hearing that.
Though I thought you said you were from Stirling? The local countryside is littered with gastro pubs is it not, though it does mean driving.
Love Stirling,It's like a miniature Edinburgh,well when your sozzled. Also like Edinburgh.Good old Rosé street in the 70's,that's another story.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom