News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

21stamps

PSA for parents of toddlers, while you’re walking around the park-

7750036A-F5A1-43BC-B2A8-843EF219E4E6.jpeg

DisneyGigi

What are you ordering for a toddler though? Wouldn’t it be milk or water? Both have lids, right?

I’ve never seen toddlers drinking fountain soda.. but who knows. Apparently It sounds common for 2 years olds here. Most kid drinks are bottled water, or a single serve milk.
Read my earlier post, about juice and milk? Does it still come with a straw? And if we are saving the world by eliminating lids and straws? The plastic bottle that those comes in is better, than a lid, for the environment. Smh? No my kids did not, nor does my grandson drink soda. And to be fair, I don’t often travel with toddlers anymore. Twice in the last 20 years. My children are grown. So, this discussion honestly does not matter to me that much. 😬 Cheers!

21stamps

Read my earlier post, about juice and milk? Does it still come with a straw? And if we are saving the world by eliminating lids and straws? The plastic bottle that those comes in is better, than a lid, for the environment. Smh? No my kids did not, nor does my grandson drink soda. And to be fair, I don’t often travel with toddlers anymore. Twice in the last 20 years. My children are grown. So, this discussion honestly does not matter to me that much. 😬 Cheers!

I honestly think that milk and juice served at any quick service is a single serve bottle.. at least from what I remember. When my kid was a toddler then preschooler, he drank water out of something similar to the photo I posted above. We did this when we walked around anywhere that allowed drinks, keeps the water cold...they’re fantastic (we both use adult versions now). I don’t think he ever really walked around with milk..but if so I can’t ever remember it being in a cup with a lid and straw.

Those single serve milk or juice are recycled, straws end up everywhere. I think that’s the difference.

LSLS

Didn't kids meals come with special Mickey straws anyways? I guess they could keep the lids, though wouldnt the only purpose of them be to carry them back to your seat since you don't have a straw anyways?

DisneyGigi

I honestly think that milk and juice served at any quick service is a single serve bottle.. at least from what I remember. When my kid was a toddler then preschooler, he drank water out of something similar to the photo I posted above. We did this when we walked around anywhere that allowed drinks, keeps the water cold...they’re fantastic (we both use adult versions now). I don’t think he ever really walked around with milk..but if so I can’t ever remember it being in a cup with a lid and straw.

Those single serve milk or juice are recycled, straws end up everywhere. I think that’s the difference.
I see where you are coming from, and maybe it has been a really long time since I was taking kids. When my grandson went, his parents went too, so I got to just be a grandparent. I couldn’t imagine toting cups or all that. I go as bag free as I can. I feel so sorry for people going thru bag checks and stuff with all that, not to mention the hassle of carrying it all. :) Like I said, as far as the parks I probably am a bit removed from the discussion. I just would not carry all that. We never did. I ordered juice with a cup and a lid and was lucky not to have to tote diaper bags or a stroller when mine were little.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
From someone knowledgeable I spoke with today, this will be the last week that plastic straws and lids will be available at all quick and table service locations property wide. They are also introducing reusable straw kits this week to be sold in retail locations as well. No replacement with paper straws as some speculated. Unknown if paper straws at the AK will be discontinued.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
From someone knowledgeable I spoke with today, this will be the last week that plastic straws and lids will be available at all quick and table service locations property wide. They are also introducing reusable straw kits this week to be sold in retail locations as well. No replacement with paper straws as some speculated. Unknown if paper straws at the AK will be discontinued.
You don’t say. :greedy:

Will they be customizable with our favorite Disney character(s), for an additional fee?

cookiee_munster

it's brilliant that this is happening. the amount of plastic that isn't biodegradable and that goes into landfill is just really quite scary. There was a program about it here in the UK just the other day, it was absolutely mind blowing and also quite terrifying at the amount of stuff that just gets buried and never breaks down.

While it is a brilliant move for the parks not to have plastic lids of straws available, i do hope they have suitable replacements/alternatives like paper straws or reusable non spill cups.

Cmdr_Crimson

I had recently gone to my local Disney outlet and they did eliminate plastic shopping bags. However, they tell you that you can purchase a resueable bag for 99 cents...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom