News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Wait a minute now! You can't dis American tea, especially homemade southern Sweet Tea! Get you a glass of ice filled with some of that sweet goodness on a hot/humid lovely day in the south while sitting on your back porch swinging in your porch swing while watching an oncoming summer thunderstorm...and there ain't nothing else like it!

Yes, I speak from experience.
And don't forget a little Kentucky bourbon to give your sweetea an unforgettable kick...
1533136381149.jpeg

The Mom

Premium Member
The pre-mix hits the water at the dispenser. But the carbonated water is chilled so the CO2 will stay in solution longer.
http://www.sodadispenserdepot.com/how-it-works/
So, the water is chilled, but something that is not always chilled is added to it at the dispenser? Wouldn't that make the prechilled water less cold? And the link showed different types of beverage systems - some appear to be better at keeping the drinks chilled than others. So, both of the people arguing could be right - sometimes the soda is ice cold, sometimes it's not. It depends upon the type of system used, and how well employees maintain it to achieve maximum cooling.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So, the water is chilled, but something that is not always chilled is added to it at the dispenser? Wouldn't that make the prechilled water less cold? And the link showed different types of beverage systems - some appear to be better at keeping the drinks chilled than others. So, both of the people arguing could be right - sometimes the soda is ice cold, sometimes it's not. It depends upon the type of system used, and how well employees maintain it to achieve maximum cooling.
I amended my post to include the possibility that both sides are somewhat right.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So can you explain to me why when you get regular water from a soda fountain it’s ice cold?

You ever turn on your faucet and notice how cold the water is? Your normal tap water will be in the mid to low 50s in temperature.

The passive heat exchanger frequently used (as mentioned above) drops the temp down quickly to try to get to about 40deg - but it's just a quick pass through a heat exchanger on it's way through - not high volume system storing the fluid cold. Basically, the machines use the ice box and a heat exchanger to lower the temp to ease and reduce the pressure needed to dissolve the co2.

Different dispensers use different systems... but at best, some use a two pass heat exchanger system as the water or syrup pass through. They don't store or accumulate the water to chill - unlike a water fountain with chiller. They steal the benefit of the icebox (or use a peltier cooler) to do the quick and dirty.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That varies, I've been to several places where they have ice cold soda from the fountain same as you would with beer. But yes not everywhere does this.

Good beer systems will have the lines actually chilled from the kegs to the taps. Unlike fountain sodas... beer systems are not mixing in the cold tap water, so they are starting from the fluid in the keg temperature. Beer systems often have the supplies far from the dispensers too.. so a high volume of product is in the lines. The product is also already carbonated, unlike brix systems. So they can't let it cycle in temperature. A good tap will have an active cooling system for all it's lines.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The pre-mix hits the water at the dispenser. But the carbonated water is chilled so the CO2 will stay in solution longer.
So you're both kinda right.
http://www.sodadispenserdepot.com/how-it-works/
Depending on the system... yes, some use a quick heat exchanger (like the cold plate mentioned in that article) - but it's a weak alternative to higher volume systems that can bring the temperature down far enough to negate the need for ice or bring it to equivalent temperature. The heat exchanger there is not a regulated system.. it's just a boost to make the dissolving easier.

John park hopper

American tea is dreadful, so I'm not surprised you feel that way. Have you ever tried an authentic British cuppa?

Charleston SC we have the Charleston Tea Plantation the only grown tea in the US. The plants go way back as tea was gown here in the 1700's not successfully. Dr Sheppard in 1888 developed a tea plant that would grow here. I am biased IMO it makes a great iced tea (don't drink hot tea) Interested check their web site.

LittleBuford

Charleston SC we have the Charleston Tea Plantation the only grown tea in the US. The plants go way back as tea was gown here in the 1700's not successfully. Dr Sheppard in 1888 developed a tea plant that would grow here. I am biased IMO it makes a great iced tea (don't drink hot tea) Interested check their web site.

I’d be interested to try that.

To be clear, the British tea I’m talking about is actually grown in India and Sri Lanka.

s8film40

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. It depends upon the restaurant. At least that has been my experience. I'm more concerned with the taste than the temperature, so unless it's actually warm, I don't really care most of the time.
It definitely varies. From my experience though while some are more or less chilled it’s pretty rare to find a soda fountain that isn’t reasonably cold. This goes back to my other point though, beer on tap often varies also most are chilled pretty good, but not all. Yet we don’t see people using this reasoning to drink beer with ice.

I think the true reason is the fast food industry has managed to convince a gullible public into believing they “need” ice in their already chilled drinks so they can sell watered down drinks to save money. What will be interesting is if the public starts to prefer drinks without ice over paper straws. I suspect if that happens all these places will back pedal this plastic straw ban before it even takes hold.

The Mom

Premium Member
Reasonably cold is in the eye of the beholder. ;) Maybe some things taste better to someone icy cold versus reasonably cold, while with others it doesn't matter as much. The same with piping hot versus reasonably hot - some people prefer some foods at a hotter temperature.

Those who prefer soft drinks icy cold will want ice in them. And those who have a problem with ice making their teeth too cold will want a straw. Others (such as I) really don't care as long as things are reasonably hot or reasonably cold. I've also been drinking certain things with ice long before I ever encountered fast food - I know the originals have been around for almost 100 years, but I remember the first one opening in my town when I was around 12. ;)

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Reasonably cold is in the eye of the beholder. ;) Maybe some things taste better to someone icy cold versus reasonably cold, while with others it doesn't matter as much. The same with piping hot versus reasonably hot - some people prefer some foods at a hotter temperature.

Those who prefer soft drinks icy cold will want ice in them. And those who have a problem with ice making their teeth too cold will want a straw. Others (such as I) really don't care as long as things are reasonably hot or reasonably cold. I've also been drinking certain things with ice long before I ever encountered fast food - I know the originals have been around for almost 100 years, but I remember the first one opening in my town when I was around 12. ;)
I don't remember much of the 80's

flynnibus

Premium Member
It definitely varies. From my experience though while some are more or less chilled it’s pretty rare to find a soda fountain that isn’t reasonably cold. This goes back to my other point though, beer on tap often varies also most are chilled pretty good, but not all. Yet we don’t see people using this reasoning to drink beer with ice.

Because people don't want watered down beer... but watered down soda doesn't taste all that different. We don't generally drink beer in 'to go' situations... so we address the need to keep beer cold with other tricks like cold glasses.

Beer is a horrible comparison. It's dispensed entirely different from soda. It's taste profile is entirely different.

I think the true reason is the fast food industry has managed to convince a gullible public into believing they “need” ice in their already chilled drinks so they can sell watered down drinks to save money

No, it's simple science. The cup with ice will be colder, hence holding more co2 and it will hold it's temperature longer than the cup without ice. Simple conservation of energy.

Now overfilling the ice? Yes, that's purely about cheating on portions.

jaklgreen

You brought straws because your kids didn’t like the paper ones offered in the park or they couldn’t use them? Or you just carried straws everywhere you went in a “diaper” bag? I would agree if it’s the diaper bag thing. We carried just about anything the kids might need in those bags including I’m sure some straws. They always came in handy if you got milk or juice from a place without straws. When at DAK if we got a fountain drink at the park we’d use the straws they had.

I usually carried plastic straws in a ziplock baggie with some napkins to the parks. We started doing that because they did not provide them at AK so we kept them in the bag all the time. It's been a while but I don't remember them even having paper straws when they first open since we were never actually offered one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom