News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

KBLovedDisney

American tea is dreadful, so I'm not surprised you feel that way. Have you ever tried an authentic British cuppa?
Wait a minute now! You can't dis American tea, especially homemade southern Sweet Tea! Get you a glass of ice filled with some of that sweet goodness on a hot/humid lovely day in the south while sitting on your back porch swinging in your porch swing while watching an oncoming summer thunderstorm...and there ain't nothing else like it!

Yes, I speak from experience.

LittleBuford

Wait a minute now! You can't dis American tea, especially homemade southern Sweet Tea! Get you a glass of ice filled with some of that sweet goodness on a hot/humid lovely day in the south while sitting on your back porch swinging in your porch swing while watching an oncoming summer thunderstorm...and there ain't nothing else like it!

Yes, I speak from experience.

No offence intended! I like iced tea. But it's a different animal from hot tea with milk, which really is matchless.

Last edited:

seabreezept813

On the subject of reusable bags, I was really impressed that Polo gives them to you without charge (at Wrentham Outlets), it’d be nice if Disney could do something similar-one of those gestures that make you feel like an appreciated customer

Tony the Tigger

Much like Magic Bands everyone will want to be seen in (or in this case carrying) something that reflects their personality or better yet is cool or hip because it was a rare bag only issued on a specific day or limited.

Then everyone is lame.

I reuse a lot of bags myself. Actually theme park bags like what Disney has right now are some of the best. I have WDW bags from 20 years ago that are in great shape. I would say they’re actually probably even better than what some other people sell as reusable bags.

Hipster!

Uh no it is. The internet is exploding in admiration over how Starbucks is "paving the way" for the future and are modern day saints for removing single use plastic yet they are still using single use plastic that involves a fro profit product. Yes those straws may have existed first but the fact that they are still using that plastic is the hypocritical part which is very ironic.

Plus the fact that their new baby's first drink sippy cup lids use more plastic in general is also ironic!

Let’s try a new approach: what percentage of customers do you think took the free straw? And what percentage of customers do you think paid extra for the candy straw?

daringstoic

I have no idea what you’re talking about I drink soda all the time without ice. Even though I ask for drinks without ice servers will often forget and bring one with ice. A lot of times rather than send it back I’ll go ahead and take the drink with ice. So I have both regularly, there is no difference at all.
Well we clearly disagree and that's perfectly fine. I find it disgusting without ice and won't even pour it when the machine in my breakroom at work runs out of ice.

Tony the Tigger

Considering it's Starbucks...

Too many.

A81C050B-82AD-4C15-ACC5-52D3404D9C91.jpeg

flynnibus

Premium Member
It might be hypocritical, but it is not ironic.

Also a drinking straw can be replaced by a paper straw. A plastic food wrapper is harder to replace, how else do you protect the flavour? How about a bag of chips, should Starbucks just pour those into your hands?

We have these things...called containers. You can even get airtight re sealable ones!

flynnibus

Premium Member
See, this is the exact reason I use when people ask how I would want to order soda without ice. The soda is served cold and it’s too hard to drink through a straw, yet everyone seems to think they “need” ice.

Because it’s not served cold like beer is. Soda is served via tap supply.
Soda has carbon dioxide dissolved in it. A state that is temperature dependent. Warmer water can not hold as much co2 and goes flat faster and tastes flatter.

This is why McDonald’s coke is liked so much... they chill it.

s8film40

Because it’s not served cold like beer is. Soda is served via tap supply.
Soda has carbon dioxide dissolved in it. A state that is temperature dependent. Warmer water can not hold as much co2 and goes flat faster and tastes flatter.

This is why McDonald’s coke is liked so much... they chill it.
Fountain soda is chilled.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’ve never noticed this at all. Don’t take this the wrong way but are you sure this isn’t just something your imagining? Or perhaps because you’re forcing the drink through a straw it accelerates the fizziness? Bottled sodas definitely do seem to have more fizz, whereas as I’ve found fountains to be more variable but trend on the less fizzy side.

Because fountains mix on the fly... where a bottled product is fully dissolved and likely better adjusted. A bad fountain setup can screw up the syrup mix... the amount of carbonation... bad water...and temperature. Your bottled product is produced to standards and is often stored cold before opening.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This is going to be the next big thing for Disney. They’ll probably have all kinds of special bags. Events, festivals, limited editions, AP exclusives, CM exclusives, bags to commemorate anniversaries, attractions, etc. the list is endless.
Of course: The Epcot Festival of International Paper Straws. They can wedge that in between F&WF and F&GF over the winter...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Tell me then, why do you not insist on your beer being served with ice and a straw?
Ice melts, diluting the pure essential fluids* in the beer. And sipping beer through straws (a) messes with the carbonation, and (b) can accelerate the alcohol's effect (see Drinking Beer From Shot Glasses).

* Give yourself 5 points if you get that reference...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom