News Disney plans to reboot Voyage of the Little Mermaid stage show at Disney's Hollywood Studios

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
DFB loves a click baity headline almost as much as Inside the Magic.

Disney: "We're closing Typhoon Lagoon for it's annual refurbishment."
ITM: "Disney announces CLOSURE of major theme park"
DFB Title: Guests Left Stranded on Iconic Disney Ride Awaiting Rescue

What happened: The lights turned on in Pirates of the Carribean and they got moving 2 minutes later.

That looks very exciting. Could it be possible that a new Zootropolis 3D show at Disney’s animal kingdom will also open in autumn 2024, replacing the already old ‘It’s Tough to be a Bug’?

bmr1591

That looks very exciting. Could it be possible that a new Zootropolis 3D show at Disney’s animal kingdom will also open in autumn 2024, replacing the already old ‘It’s Tough to be a Bug’?

Hard to know. It's a shame the Hopper animatronic will go bye bye. It's such a good one, even if the show isn't popular.

gerarar

Premium Member
New show probably means less performers and cost to operate

Regardless it’s a welcome readdition back to the park
That's what I'm afraid for when they replace BATB Live! (if ever)..

That current show has at least 20 live performers on stage, including 2 live singers/actors. What's to say that a new show, eg. Tangled or similar, will keep that amount of cast and dance-choreography? Then there's 3 techs in the booth (director, sound, lights) and all the backstage techs.

I'm probably biased since I love BATB Live! (recently saw it 9 times over a 5-day trip lol), but I would prefer to keep it then see Disney replace and slash it down. Just keep updating the tech and stuff, which they kinda did with its return in 2021. Lights, costumes, and backgrounds were all refreshed. The decades-old choreography also improved (imo) once the full show returned in 2022.

And just to note, Festival of the Lion King also saw cuts (notably 2 dancers) when the full show returned. I think likewise for Nemo 2.0 also. So there's precedence tbh..

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I am intrigued with the "more to come" tease.

The Disney stunt shows (Indy and the gone LMA) are so poor when compared to the fantastic Bourne Stunt show. Let's get some updates and new entertainment. Make this park feel alive again!
Indy was recently updated. BatB desperately needs updates like Mermaid is receiving. And Jedi Training is another good candidate.

UniversalIsMid98

In the Parks
Yes
really?..., they're just pulling a "Fantasmic 2022" on us for keeping an out of date stage production of a classic movie, but with a new scene slapped in(like in the 2022 version of Fantasmic east, they kept the show 90% the same with little changes(it's noticeable with the visuals), while 10% is the new hero scene with Elsa being the only newbie, while Mulan, Aladdin, and Moana got bigger parts than they did pre-2022, and they lazily kept in Pocahontas(even though her story already had a bigger part before the shutdown(the movie wasn't even that big of a hit(compared to the more well-known films of its time) and not replace her with Mirabel(even though she was wrongfully reduced to a cameo on the water projection screens), rather than replacing the show with something brand new and fresh like Paris or the Cruise Line

We're really still going to live in a park where it's okay for three out of date shows with little to no new upgrades/replacements continue to play with this, Beauty and the Beast Live, and Indy's stunt spectacular all coming into 2024, especially with Voyage, we all though it was leaving us for good, but NOPE, it did not, it's just getting a new title and a fresh coat of print(but keeping it to be themed based on the 1989 classic)

speaking of BATB, I'm hoping by the start of 2024, that they're considering a permanent replacement for the 32 yr old BATB Live show for potentially Tangled(a film that's severely underused at the US parks right now, and a new stage show for DHS would be one step forward for Rapunzel's presence to boost up at WDW), bc, I think it's time for DHS to consider new entertainment like this(or a Frozen 2 overlay to the Frozen sing along, the return of the pre-2020 DJR Dance Party show, now with a new Mickey storyline with Mira and Eureka(or Cheshire Cat from the Wonderland Bakery) added, while McStuffins is kept, or minor changes to Fantasmic East with Asha replacing Pocahontas(I know Wish flopped at the box office and with critics, but it wouldn't be shocking if its Disney Plus premiere does eventually bring in an audience), Flynn and Punzie added to the Princess scene, an updated dancing bubbles scene with new clips added, and a few new characters added onto the Steamboat finale, if we're getting the reimagined Mermaid show

Lirael

While it seems like this will be based on the animated film, I would expect Ariel to be cast with actresses of multiple ethnicities, similar to what they did with Frozen in DCA.

I know nothing of their plans, but this would be my guess.
If they can sing well I dont think its an issue for me. And I say that as someone who was worried theyd focus on the remake

Stevie Amsterdam

Ah great, another adventure... Look I'm happy that the show comes back but why are imagineers so afraid to explore different ways of describing an attraction other than an adventure? I'm not even a native English speaker and find it so boring and lazy.

Remy's Ratatouille Adventure, Tiana's Bayou Adventure, Web Slingers: a Spider-man Adventure...

Last edited:

Lirael

really?..., they're just pulling a "Fantasmic 2022" on us for keeping an out of date stage production of a classic movie, but with a new scene slapped in(like in the 2022 version of Fantasmic east, they kept the show 90% the same with little changes(it's noticeable with the visuals), while 10% is the new hero scene with Elsa being the only newbie, while Mulan, Aladdin, and Moana got bigger parts than they did pre-2022, and they lazily kept in Pocahontas(even though her story already had a bigger part before the shutdown(the movie wasn't even that big of a hit(compared to the more well-known films of its time) and not replace her with Mirabel(even though she was wrongfully reduced to a cameo on the water projection screens), rather than replacing the show with something brand new and fresh like Paris or the Cruise Line

We're really still going to live in a park where it's okay for three out of date shows with little to no new upgrades/replacements continue to play with this, Beauty and the Beast Live, and Indy's stunt spectacular all coming into 2024, especially with Voyage, we all though it was leaving us for good, but NOPE, it did not, it's just getting a new title and a fresh coat of print(but keeping it to be themed based on the 1989 classic)

speaking of BATB, I'm hoping by the start of 2024, that they're considering a permanent replacement for the 32 yr old BATB Live show for potentially Tangled(a film that's severely underused at the US parks right now, and a new stage show for DHS would be one step forward for Rapunzel's presence to boost up at WDW), bc, I think it's time for DHS to consider new entertainment like this(or a Frozen 2 overlay to the Frozen sing along, the return of the pre-2020 DJR Dance Party show, now with a new Mickey storyline with Mira and Eureka(or Cheshire Cat from the Wonderland Bakery) added, while McStuffins is kept, or minor changes to Fantasmic East with Asha replacing Pocahontas(I know Wish flopped at the box office and with critics, but it wouldn't be shocking if its Disney Plus premiere does eventually bring in an audience), Flynn and Punzie added to the Princess scene, an updated dancing bubbles scene with new clips added, and a few new characters added onto the Steamboat finale, if we're getting the reimagined Mermaid show
I disagree

We're already getting too much changed to cater to recent IP (including lands in AK that do not belong there, and in epcot etc)

The classics are beloved for a reason. Not everything needs to be changed to be hip and new. BATB is still beloved, there's no reason to kick it out to fit a new princess.

It's fine to keep old beloved rides/shows as they are

Again, old and classic characters are still beloved for a reason. Asha wishes (hurhur) she was even half as well liked as Pocahontas.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
If they can sing well I dont think its an issue for me. And I say that as someone who was worried theyd focus on the remake
Exactly. And it’s worked just fine for them in their live shows, both in and out of the theme parks. Ciara Renee, who replaced Caissie Levy as Elsa on Broadway was outstanding. Aisha Jackson was a great Anna. Tiana Okoye was probably the best sung Elsa I’ve heard, and she played the role at Disneyland. Marina Kondo (who’s Asian) played Anna on tour. Even in Beauty and the Beast, there was Toni Braxton, and later Ann Sanders (another Asian actress).

Each time, audiences managed just fine and we all seemed to survive.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I disagree

We're already getting too much changed to cater to recent IP (including lands in AK that do not belong there, and in epcot etc)

The classics are beloved for a reason. Not everything needs to be changed to be hip and new. BATB is still beloved, there's no reason to kick it out to fit a new princess.

It's fine to keep old beloved rides/shows as they are

Again, old and classic characters are still beloved for a reason. Asha wishes (hurhur) she was even half as well liked as Pocahontas.

I wouldn’t even mind keeping BATB, but that show desperately needs an update.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom