News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I know regional parks are different but they still add new attractions on a regular basis. Universal has been adding new things on a regular basis since COVID.

The problem is WDW needed new capacity yesterday. There is no reason that 3 of the 4 parks have under 20 attractions each. Each WDW should have at least 30-40 attractions in each park.
Woah, Newt…never gonna fit 40…

But under 20 is unacceptable

A 30+ min queue for everything is a revenue loss

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't get what issue with short waits for everything is so bad. Other than it affecting Genie+.
They just don’t have the space/wont pay the ops cost for that many

Short waits are great…because people are in a better mood/spend more (that a fact)

But Disney parks aren’t for “ride pounders”…that’s not what they do and there’s less money in THAT…for sure

Dranth

Hmmmmm…not so sure

Universal has done replacements…for sure…but the actual added capacity at wdw has been pretty low. Some of the replacements resulted in reduced hourly capacity…even if the stuff was outdated
I could be missing something but Velocicoaster is the only added capacity post covid I can think of while Disney has Rat and Tron. All three additions are pre-covid carry overs.

Come to think of it, do either of them have any projects that started post COVID? I guess USF has the Kid zone redo and Disney would have the changes to the EPCOT plan? Is there anything else?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I could be missing something but Velocicoaster is the only added capacity post covid I can think of while Disney has Rat and Tron. All three additions are pre-covid carry overs.

Come to think of it, do either of them have any projects that started post COVID? I guess USF has the Kid zone redo and Disney would have the changes to the EPCOT plan? Is there anything else?
Oh ok…post covid?

Yeah…disney can’t build a bakery in under 4 years now
Uni is opening 20 attractions next year

I was more talking the “rot and replacement” strategy from Bob for 15 years…avatar being the one clear net positive

LSLS

Cedar Point isn't comparable to Disney (or Universal), though. It's much easier to replace the kind of attractions they have than themed attractions.
Sure, but I think the point is Cedar Point always has something in the works. Doesn't have to be a big new coaster. Disney doesn't need to open something the level of Cosmic Rewind every year at every park. But I don't think it's crazy to think something new should be added to 1-2 parks each year. Be it a new show, new small ride, something. That would mean a small add to like MK ever 3-4 years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sure, but I think the point is Cedar Point always has something in the works. Doesn't have to be a big new coaster. Disney doesn't need to open something the level of Cosmic Rewind every year at every park. But I don't think it's crazy to think something new should be added to 1-2 parks each year. Be it a new show, new small ride, something. That would mean a small add to like MK ever 3-4 years.
I’ve harped on this (shocking I know) for over a dozen years…
Disney needs to add one new attraction every other year in EACH park in wdw on average for 10 years to get its ops back in line. So +5 in a park or +20 aggregate

And 75% of those should not be headliners

Just solid stuff people don’t skip

Dranth

Oh ok…post covid?

Yeah…disney can’t build a bakery in under 4 years now
Uni is opening 20 attractions next year

I was more talking the “rot and replacement” strategy from Bob for 15 years…avatar being the one clear net positive
Yep, the original poster was talking post Covid though I wouldn't give Disney or Universal much credit for actual new capacity over the last 15. Obviously that changes with EU once it opens.

John park hopper

I’ve harped on this (shocking I know) for over a dozen years…
Disney needs to add one new attraction every other year in EACH park in wdw on average for 10 years to get its ops back in line. So +5 in a park or +20 aggregate

And 75% of those should not be headliners

Just solid stuff people don’t skip
Agree--- they need to be totally new not remove an existing attraction and replace --thus expanding the parks capacity--people eaters ---theaters

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yep, the original poster was talking post Covid though I wouldn't give Disney or Universal much credit for actual new capacity over the last 15. Obviously that changes with EU once it opens.
Well universal has had some replacement “misses” as well

Fear factor and the stupid vin diesel car crap certainly qualifies.

But it sticks out more at wdw parks. Like replacing movie ride to save on hydraulic fluid and 5 employees for runaway was just stupid

Which is why the response is tepid in Orlando and much better in Anaheim

People like adds

Not hard

DisneyDodo

Studios is the smallest

I’m saying they’ll never run 40 in a park because the cost of the operation would balloon

But I think 5 more per park isn’t asking too much at all
From what I’ve seen across the internet, MK is 142 acres, while DHS is 154. But I’m not sure what exactly that includes (e.g., Beyond Big Thunder expansion plot?). Regardless, they’re similar in size, yet MK has a lot more to do.

And I def agree that Disney is hesitant to expand because of cost. It’s just not an issue of space. That’s especially true at WDW, but is also the case at most of their other parks, as Iger himself pointed out with his flubbed “7 lands” remark.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
From what I’ve seen across the internet, MK is 142 acres, while DHS is 154. But I’m not sure what exactly that includes (e.g., Beyond Big Thunder expansion plot?). Regardless, they’re similar in size, yet MK has a lot more to do.

And I def agree that Disney is hesitant to expand because of cost. It’s just not an issue of space. That’s especially true at WDW, but is also the case at most of their other parks, as Iger himself pointed out with his flubbed “7 lands” remark.

I think what throws it off is the non-guest areas at mgm were always included in the size. There’s less of that now…but still a bit of a false indicator

The largest “use area” is really Epcot…as the safari makes up a huge chunk of DAK

rd805

I think what throws it off is the non-guest areas at mgm were always included in the size. There’s less of that now…but still a bit of a false indicator

The largest “use area” is really Epcot…as the safari makes up a huge chunk of DAK

While people hated the Carousel idea in EPCOT (I wasn't one of them) - it's exactly what was needed.

The Animation Courtyard at HS is a huge miss -- albeit with a show coming back shortly, will help. Not a fan that is LM still, and will probably be a lot of what was already there in show the previously, but the capacity is important. The Launch Bay / Former Animation studios is a huge plot of land. This needs to be a dark ride - NEEDS. It can be themed however they want, but a dark ride here is a massive win. (This probably should have been Mickey's Runaway Railway...alas...)

*Adding a flat / standard theme-park ride to Toy Story Land would be a win in my book too. It helps soften other things around the park. There are already options out there that are previously created for other disney parks that could look neat with the rest of the land & be VERY cheap attraction cost wise. I always liked the idea of the RC car / swinging ship style. Seems too easy to me.

Beyond that - the Animal Kingdom revamp needs to start - YESTERDAY. We are essentially replacing former flat rides with something that will be better (no doubt better), but the attraction count will go down.

The Zootopia 3D show will also help swallow some crowds, so these projects in conjunction could work well. But really, it's a net-neutral for the theme park. It will help get more people there, but it doesn't help attraction count all that much. This park needs a dark ride too -- Jungle Book & Lion King as others have mentioned seem appropriate.

Or they could go totally off brand and do something that combines multiple movies and create a really unique experience. Perhaps one that talks about biomes, gives a little edu-tainment a las EPCOT days of yore - AND use IP. A lot of win's with that.

Gusey

Projects
Disney Post-Covid (announced 2020 beyond and construction began/complete) :
  • Tiana's Bayou Adventure @ Disneyland and WDW (Announced 2020 to replace Splash Mountain)
  • Jungle Cruise refurb @ Dusneyland and WDW (Announced 2021)
  • Space Mountain update @ Tokyo (Announced 2022)
  • CommuniCore Hall @ Epcot (Announced 2022, adapted post Covid from the Festival Center that was to replace Innoventions)
  • Luminous @ Epcot (Announced 2022, replaced Harmonious)
  • Country Bear Musical Jamboree (Announced 2023, update to Country Bear Jamboree)
  • Shanghai Disneyland 3rd expansion (Announced 2024)
Universal Post-Covid (announced 2020 beyond and construction began/complete):
  • Villain Con Minion Blast & Minion Land @ Universal Studios Orlando (Announced 2022 to replace Shrek 4D)
  • Dreamworks Land @ Universal Studios Orland (Announced 2023 to replace KidZone)
  • Universal Studios New Nighttime Spectacular (Announced 2023, replaced Cinematic Celebration)
  • Fast and Furious coaster @ Universal Studios Hollywood (Announced 2023)
  • Universal Kids Resort @ Frisco (Announced 2023)
  • Universal Horror Unleashed @ Las Vegas (Announced 2023)

Last edited:

Dranth

Projects
Disney Post-Covid (announced 2020 beyond and construction began/complete) :
  • Tiana's Bayou Adventure @ Disneyland and WDW (Announced 2020 to replace Splash Mountain)
  • Space Mountain update @ Tokyo (Announced 2022)
  • CommuniCore Hall @ Epcot (Announced 2022, adapted post Covid from the Festival Center that was to replace Innoventions)
  • Luminous @ Epcot (Announced 2022, replaced Harmonious)
  • Shanghai Disneyland 3rd expansion (Announced 2024)
Universal Post-Covid (announced 2020 beyond and construction began/complete):
  • Villain Con Minion Blast & Minion Land @ Universal Studios Orlando (Announced 2022 to replace Shrek 4D)
  • Dreamworks Land @ Universal Studios Orland (Announced 2023 to replace KidZone)
  • Universal Studios New Nighttime Spectacular (Announced 2023, replaced Cinematic Celebration)
  • Fast and Furious coaster @ Universal Studios Hollywood (Announced 2023)
  • Universal Kids Resort @ Frisco (Announced 2023)
  • Universal Horror Unleashed @ Las Vegas (Announced 2023)
Yes, they both have more in the works in terms of shows and additions to their other parks around the world but we were talking Orlando. I did exclude the nighttime shows but I was under the impression the original poster was talking rides. Either way it is good to see the full list.

2bornot2be

I laugh at some of the post that are heated about “ONLY” 17 billion for WDW. Let’s put 17 billion in perspective.

You can build:
2 to 5 - Epic Universe(s) (depending on who you ask and final total)
17 - Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge(s)
20+ - Pandora - The World of Avatar(s)
20+ - Fantasyland Expansion(s)
Some say the estimated to build a theme park is 3B

As for attractions
Disney can build Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, Shanghai Disneyland - Pirates of the Caribbean, and Tron Lightcycle Power Run 12 times with 17 billion. That is a lot of money!

I cannot wait till D23 to see how this will be invested.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I laugh at some of the post that are heated about “ONLY” 17 billion for WDW. Let’s put 17 billion in perspective.

You can build:
2 to 5 - Epic Universe(s) (depending on who you ask and final total)
17 - Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge(s)
20+ - Pandora - The World of Avatar(s)
20+ - Fantasyland Expansion(s)
Some say the estimated to build a theme park is 3B

As for attractions
Disney can build Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, Shanghai Disneyland - Pirates of the Caribbean, and Tron Lightcycle Power Run 12 times with 17 billion. That is a lot of money!

I cannot wait till D23 to see how this will be invested.
I hope they don’t replicate much if any of that stuff 😎

…but seriously…the trepidation is the nature of it “in the future…we plan…” stuff that they’ve given themselves little trust on.

They have cheaped out on more than a few occasions…but never hesitate to tinker with prices on an almost daily basis.

They’ve earned the skepticism

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom