News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Disstevefan1

Disney marketed some of those things for the 50th as part of Epcot's renovation. Anything that opened in Epcot from The new entrance plaza in 2019 to CommuniCore Hall in 2024 are all considered part of the Epcot renovation (Hence the often quoted 5 years)
There are some things I like about the Epcot renovation but I am overall disappointed. Just my opinion.

This took much too long and I presume cost way too much for what we got in my opinion.

DisDude23

There are some things I like about the Epcot renovation but I am overall disappointed. Just my opinion.

This took much too long and I presume cost way too much for what we got in my opinion.
I’m in a similar position with it. I don’t hate it but compared to the original plans and some of the things we lost to get this I find it to be a let down.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
@MisterPenguin I know you love it all and you have every right to. 👍
Thanks.

However, I think the BatB "singalong" is awful.

IMO, the new movies for Canada and The Land are uninteresting. Fine. But not that interesting.

Rat is only mildly interesting.

The new crepes place isn't good in design or food.

The new plaza in France is delightful... if it were empty. But when you bring in 2000 people an hour for a ride, it is always overcrowded. Bad design choices there.

The new EPCOT background music is too repetitive.

Those responsible for the new tiles in Morocco should be brought before the Hague.

But I like everything else!

DisneyHead123

Outside of World Showcase, I don’t think Epcot has the cohesiveness of the other parks but that’s kind of a fun thing for one park. (I really hope they don’t all end up like that, however.) It’s kind of like going to an antique store where you encounter a hodgepodge of interesting things. And Epcot and AK are by far the best parks for hands-on type activities, which this expansion added to with Journey of Water and CommuniCore. The Play Pavilion would have been great but at this point I guess that’s just not happening. I appreciate that aspect as my son finds 95% of the traditional rides terrifying but loves walk through attractions like Sea Base, Moana, and the Figment area with the fountains outside.

Again, though, I would be really sad if the other parks end up atomized this way. For one park it’s a fun niche, for all of them it would become a loss of theming.

BrianLo

Yes, thanks, let me correct myself.

The Filler project Universal did is specifically better than the disappointing EPCOT renovation when you consider the time, money spent and what we got in the end.

Truthfully, I really don’t think they are doing the better job with filler. Disney generally seems to be building things that I expect to last more than a decade. Universal has a whole host of misfires that are hardly legacy attractions and long term infrastructure worthy.

In just one parks recent history we have Rockit, Simpson’s, Minion mayhem, Fast, probably Fallon is dependent on the namesake.

Even up to and including the VillainsCon and half baked Dreamworks Land. Almost nothing is ever built to actually last in that park. And no, I’m not getting In the weeds on tit for tat on a bad plantar. These are largely attractions.

I don’t for the record think the Epcot overhaul in any way lived up to the potential and its biggest misfire was shockingly and almost uncharacteristically dealt with quickly.

Disstevefan1

Thanks.

However, I think the BatB "singalong" is awful.

IMO, the new movies for Canada and The Land are uninteresting. Fine. But not that interesting.

Rat is only mildly interesting.

The new crepes place isn't good in design or food.

The new plaza in France is delightful... if it were empty. But when you bring in 2000 people an hour for a ride, it is always overcrowded. Bad design choices there.

The new EPCOT background music is too repetitive.

Those responsible for the new tiles in Morocco should be brought before the Hague.

But I like everything else!
Could this be a bit of a roll reversal?

I agree about the singalong! They took away a nice relaxing cool, dark, seated place.

I have not seen the Canada or the land movies, but in the case of the of the land, cool, dark seated is always a plus.

The rat is the rat, but it’s an additional attraction, it’s a plus.

I have not tried the crepes place yet, but I am looking forward to it? How bad could it be? I will score it as a plus.

I have no opinion on the new France plaza.

I agree in the new music is a loss.

TOTALLY AGREE ABOUT THE TILES!!! Who ever was in charge should be reassigned immediately because they obviously don’t get it!!

In celebration gardens, I absolutely hate the ugly planter and the loss of the fountain.

In celebration gardens I absolutely hate the rust (finish?) everywhere.

The new communicore is a very bad rush job, but at least it’s an air conditioned space to check the app, that’s IF they allow folks to sit there when nothing is going on.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
AFAIK that's very accurate. They're basically taking a fix up approach with USF understanding that attendance is going to drop because of Epic regardless. They're not worried about IOA at all.

I will say though, Supercharged is slated to close before Simpsons.

Zelda is still happening though before Pokémon and that's besides the fact other projects have taken priority. There's only so many things you can realistically add to a park/resort at once, but the future of UOR has never looked better.

Zelda will have one of the best rides ever made. It won't be cheap and I imagine it'll appeal to a lot of Disney guests in a way many of Universal’s rides don't. And yes, it is replacing Lost Continent still. There is quite a bit of land they can use without even eating into both Poseiden’s Fury and the Sinbad theater for the attraction and it can still be a super headliner.

No idea if Disaster’s old sets are still there (I’d be surprised if they were), but they're not bringing back Disaster. Remember, it was merely splitting up, the excellent mind you, Universal Studios Hollywood Studio Tour into smaller-scaled attractions.

Sure, it was much better than what’s there now, but that’s not a ringing endorsement either for a standalone attraction. The closest you'll ever get back to it is the present one in Hollywood.

Now, the fact that USF’s ride capacity is lower than pre-Jaws is a different issue in of itself, but that's for another day…
Whoa, so correct me if I'm reading your messages wrong, but you believe Supercharged will close before Simpsons closes AND believe Zelda in LC will open before Pokémon? Does that imply a Supercharged replacement opens before Pokémon as well? I just find that hard to grasp if it's true that Simpsons has a 2028 at-the-latest expiration date. I can't imagine Universal wants to work with Fox/Disney to renew or extend the rights to Simpsons. And where does Rip Ride Rockit or its replacement fall in all of that?

And regarding your comments on the Zelda ride potentially not using the land of Poseiden and Sinbad, does that mean they're looking to use the back of house land beyond the service road? I don't see how else that would fit in LC's existing footprint.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Whoa, so correct me if I'm reading your messages wrong, but you believe Supercharged will close before Simpsons closes AND believe Zelda in LC will open before Pokémon? Does that imply a Supercharged replacement opens before Pokémon as well? I just find that hard to grasp if it's true that Simpsons has a 2028 at-the-latest expiration date. I can't imagine Universal wants to work with Fox/Disney to renew or extend the rights to Simpsons. And where does Rip Ride Rockit or its replacement fall in all of that?

And regarding your comments on the Zelda ride potentially not using the land of Poseiden and Sinbad, does that mean they're looking to use the back of house land beyond the service road? I don't see how else that would fit in LC's existing footprint.
Alicia Stella from Parkstop is a big Universal Insider. She claims they plan on keeping Simpsons until 2028, close it, and then open Pokemon in 2030. It's happening this way so Universal can fast track Luigi's for EU.

HRRR would close first maybe even in 2025 and would be replaced with a F&F coaster.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Alicia Stella from Parkstop is a big Universal Insider. She claims they plan on keeping Simpsons until 2028, close it, and then open Pokemon in 2030. It's happening this way so Universal can fast track Luigi's for EU.

HRRR would close first maybe even in 2025 and would be replaced with a F&F coaster.
I've heard all of that and think it all sounds like it would be a believable timeline, but I was more so confused by @Henry Mystic 's posts implying that Zelda and a F&F Supercharged replacement could happen before Pokémon in 2030 as well. I'm not doubting those additional projects are in the works, I just think that seems incredibly ambitious to have done before 2030 on top of the HRRR replacement, Pokémon, and Luigi mini-land.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

I've heard all of that and think it all sounds like it would be a believable timeline, but I was more so confused by @Henry Mystic 's posts implying that Zelda and a F&F Supercharged replacement could happen before Pokémon in 2030 as well. I'm not doubting those additional projects are in the works, I just think that seems incredibly ambitious to have done before 2030 on top of the HRRR replacement, Pokémon, and Luigi mini-land.
I'm hoping that If USF attendance craters enough, Universal will fast track Pokemon for a 2028 opening.

Gringrinngghost

Simpsons contract to my understanding is till 2027. Additionally, they only have enough RVs working to equate to one full theater. It's really on borrowed time.

Lost Continent and HRRR are in the lead on who should be the first area to see work, and Lost just needs to wait for the queue expansion for Hagrids to finish.

Andrew25

I'm hoping that If USF attendance craters enough, Universal will fast track Pokemon for a 2028 opening.
As evident by my profile pic, I'm a huge USF fan... but I kind of want USF attendance to crater as well. Universal is lucky to operate USF as their festival park to artificially increase attendance (just like any other park really). I do think the park needs a DCA-style overhaul, including aesthetic enhancements.

Simpsons contract to my understanding is till 2027. Additionally, they only have enough RVs working to equate to one full theater. It's really on borrowed time.

Lost Continent and HRRR are in the lead on who should be the first area to see work, and Lost just needs to wait for the queue expansion for Hagrids to finish.
HRRR seems to be the next major project, the Hagrid queue expansion project is already completed... like a few months ago lol

It does seem like USF has lots of projects in the works... just a question of what gets chosen:
  • HRRR Replacement (Furious Coaster)
  • Springfield/Simpsons
  • Blue Man Group Theater
  • Fast and Furious Retheme
Could see a scenario where the Supercharged retheme is a "stop gap" for Universal...
2026: Rip Ride Rockit replacement
2027: F&F Retheme
2028/29: Pokemon

Gringrinngghost

As evident by my profile pic, I'm a huge USF fan... but I kind of want USF attendance to crater as well. Universal is lucky to operate USF as their festival park to artificially increase attendance (just like any other park really). I do think the park needs a DCA-style overhaul, including aesthetic enhancements.

HRRR seems to be the next major project, the Hagrid queue expansion project is already completed... like a few months ago lol

It does seem like USF has lots of projects in the works... just a question of what gets chosen:
  • HRRR Replacement (Furious Coaster)
  • Springfield/Simpsons
  • Blue Man Group Theater
  • Fast and Furious Retheme
Could see a scenario where the Supercharged retheme is a "stop gap" for Universal...
2026: Rip Ride Rockit replacement
2027: F&F Retheme
2028/29: Pokemon
They have their weird ways that they do operate, one thing too which I didn't particularly note is that the Orlando Fire Department has been doing training exercises in the Sinbad theater but they were initially waiting for the Hagrid's work to subside.

BMG is mainly back of house now with a lot of the admin staffing taking the nick studios offices, and they do have ideas for the theater, but for now its still being used for Grinchmas. Heres a bit more of what i brought up in may: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...60-billion-over-10-years.982059/post-10925988

Andrew25

A lot of what you discuss in here has been rumored/speculated by reputable insiders for years, nothing new.

Some notes:
  • Disney has been well aware about a UOR expansion as far back as 2015 when Universal Orlando started to acquire land. While Potter's success gave the resort capital, Cabana Bay's opening in 2014 showed Comcast just how much potential revenue there was to be gained from onsite resorts, which cause the ridiculous amount of growth throughout the resort.
  • Rip Ride Rockit's closure has been hinted at by insiders for about a year now

I'm more concerned about how Universal responds to Epic themselves... they're staffing and operations is nowhere near Disney's quality... I don't know how they will bulk up to a 3rd park. (Epic Universe will be staffed well... but USF/IOA will suffer).

peng

A lot of what you discuss in here has been rumored/speculated by reputable insiders for years, nothing new.

Some notes:
  • Disney has been well aware about a UOR expansion as far back as 2015 when Universal Orlando started to acquire land. While Potter's success gave the resort capital, Cabana Bay's opening in 2014 showed Comcast just how much potential revenue there was to be gained from onsite resorts, which cause the ridiculous amount of growth throughout the resort.
  • Rip Ride Rockit's closure has been hinted at by insiders for about a year now

I'm more concerned about how Universal responds to Epic themselves... they're staffing and operations is nowhere near Disney's quality... I don't know how they will bulk up to a 3rd park. (Epic Universe will be staffed well... but USF/IOA will suffer).
There is also the problem of the post-COVID boost that theme parks got (both Disney and Universal) is long past and will probably continue to be the same next year. Epic will probably have no problem drawing crowds, but I feel the other 2 universal parks will suffer, especially USF (IOA has more shiny new stuff and is the better of the two current parks, even before the investment it got in the 2010s). I do expect USO's hotel business to be relatively undamaged, the hotels are a good deal compared to the non-value disney resorts and work fine as bases for Orlando/Central Florida trips in general, adding more rooms in the form of the three hotels that are incoming should also help. Supercharged is not going to get a retheme anytime soon and will probably become a seasonal ride from what I've heard (or become SBNO soon).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom