News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Jrb1979

Wow. I never thought i'd see someone defend a 20 second brand new roller coaster.

You haven't been in Asia. Frozen land, including this coaster is printed all over the place.

There was simply no excuse to build this attraction the way they did. You build an attraction as a legacy for 20-30 years. Something went very amiss with it, and we all know the reason.
To be fair 20 years ago Cedar Point opened a coaster that was 17 seconds long and it had a 3 hour wait

Mr. Sullivan

Show me on one advert where you saw the quote 'family friendly coaster'. You won't because, there is none that use those headlines.

Is family friend, or child friendly just another term/excuse for an attraction being rubbish? You know, build a rubbish attraction (mainly due to cut backs) but spin it by calling it a family attraction. Don't families have a rite to be entertained?
Family coaster just means it isn’t a thrill coaster, but instead meant to be enjoyed by all. It is a family coaster. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is a family coaster. Hagrid’s Motorbike Adventure is a family coaster. It’s an expansive, wide ranging coaster category that is very prominent in theme parks all over the world.

BrianLo

Even juniors demand more than a 30 second coaster - especially when the hype is so high, and you queue for 2 hours.
Wow. I never thought i'd see someone defend a 20 second brand new roller coaster.

It’s not a coaster for Juniors, it’s literally a model of coaster produced by Vekoma. This entire discussion could be boiled down to ‘they did too nice a job on Dumbo’. Maybe that’s your complaint? But there’s over 70 installations of the Vekoma Jr coaster worldwide and do you want to guess what the nicest one is?

Barnstormer, Gadgets Go Coaster, flying unicorn, flight of hypogriff, Trollercoaster, nut house coaster. These are all Junior coasters.

Do we also know who has a less themed short coaster? Everyone’s beloved Tokyo Disney Sea. Flounders Flying Fish Coaster. Which is kind of stupid if you think about it too long.

If you wanted something longer and still nicely themed, you didn’t want a B/C ticket after all.

JMcMahonEsq

You haven't been in Asia. Frozen land, including this coaster is printed all over the place.

There was simply no excuse to build this attraction the way they did. You build an attraction as a legacy for 20-30 years. Something went very amiss with it, and we all know the reason.
Hate to correct you but I work for the company that build HK Disney land so I have both been there and am pretty familiar with the park/material.

Second, while short, its not a 20 second ride. Under a minute sure, but not 20 seconds.

Third for the younger kids who I have seen ride it, I don't know any of them that are complaining about it not being a legacy attraction, that won't stand the test of time. Its a fun short ride, if you don't think its worth your time, don't get in line. If most people don't think it's worth their time, the market flush it out too.

But not every ride needs to be a long drawn out thing. Would it be better if it was a little longer, maybe. But comparing it to other kiddie coasters, Goofy Barnstormer is around 50sec or so, and Flight of the Hippogriff is about the same. I am not going to get all worked up and crazed about the missing 20-30 seconds.

Skibum1970

Hate to correct you but I work for the company that build HK Disney land so I have both been there and am pretty familiar with the park/material.

Second, while short, its not a 20 second ride. Under a minute sure, but not 20 seconds.

Third for the younger kids who I have seen ride it, I don't know any of them that are complaining about it not being a legacy attraction, that won't stand the test of time. Its a fun short ride, if you don't think its worth your time, don't get in line. If most people don't think it's worth their time, the market flush it out too.

But not every ride needs to be a long drawn out thing. Would it be better if it was a little longer, maybe. But comparing it to other kiddie coasters, Goofy Barnstormer is around 50sec or so, and Flight of the Hippogriff is about the same. I am not going to get all worked up and crazed about the missing 20-30 seconds.

I think that the big part of people's disappointment with this ride is that it is so intricately themed that an expectation is that it should be more. The concept art looked like it would be longer (kind of like Seven Dwarves' Mine Train) and then it was just a highly themed Vekoma Jr. Younger riders will absolutely enjoy it and that isn't questioned. It's just a matter of expectations.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
To be fair 20 years ago Cedar Point opened a coaster that was 17 seconds long and it had a 3 hour wait

Also, to be fair, that coaster that Cedar Point built was the tallest and fastest coaster in the world when it opened. People are going to queue a long time for a coaster that has such a distinguished record (regardless of how short the ride is) just to be able to say they rode the world's tallest and fastest coaster. People queue a long time for Disney coasters because when they see a partially enclosed, well themed coaster, they assume it's a "must do" attraction regardless of who the intended audience for the coaster is. 7DMT experiences the same issue.

JMcMahonEsq

I think that the big part of people's disappointment with this ride is that it is so intricately themed that an expectation is that it should be more. The concept art looked like it would be longer (kind of like Seven Dwarves' Mine Train) and then it was just a highly themed Vekoma Jr. Younger riders will absolutely enjoy it and that isn't questioned. It's just a matter of expectations.
Possibly just a viewpoint problem.

I look at it as an incredibly well themed and enjoyable junior coaster, not a too short 7DMT or rockin roller coaster.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
I don't know. I know reservations played a part but the last attendance report that came out Universal's parks had more attendance than AK and Epcot.

I could see AK and Epcot again being the parks that lose attendance to Universal. I get this is a Disney centric site with WDW being the main boards but Universal is not as bad as many make it out to be.
Oh, USF’s attendance is not good right now. The numbers are massively inflated by HHN and that's before Epic cannibalizes it.

I wouldn't worry about the park long-term, though, because they're going to address many of its shortfalls.

Andrew25

Oh, USF’s attendance is not good right now. The numbers are massively inflated by HHN and that's before Epic cannibalizes it.

I wouldn't worry about the park long-term, though, because they're going to address many of its shortfalls.
HHN has about ~1.2M visitors, but I don't think TEA is taking that into their regular park numbers (there is a bit of inflation thanks to Stay & Scream though).

USF is definitely benefitting from its special events and entertainment offerings.

LSLS

I think it depends on the kinds of multi day tickets offered. I know if the option for me would be $300 for 5 days at Universal, or $250 for 2 days at Universal and another $250 or so for a 2 days at Disney parks, I'm only doing Univsersal. As someone who has never taken their kids to Universal, we are waiting for Epic to open to at least see that and IoA, and maybe the other 2 parks if it favors us cost-wise.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

The rumored next major things on the docket for USF include a F&F replacement for HRRR and Pokemon to replace Simpsons. However, according to Alicia Stella of Orlando Parkstop, Pokemon has been pushed back to 2030 while Universal prioritizes phase 2 things for EU like that Luigi's Mansion mini land. Hopefully Universal reconsiders and fast tracks Pokemon ASAP for a 2027-2028 opening.

Henry Mystic

HHN has about ~1.2M visitors, but I don't think TEA is taking that into their regular park numbers (there is a bit of inflation thanks to Stay & Scream though).

USF is definitely benefitting from its special events and entertainment offerings.
They do.

IOA is significantly more popular even more so than it appears on paper.

Henry Mystic

The rumored next major things on the docket for USF include a F&F replacement for HRRR and Pokemon to replace Simpsons. However, according to Alicia Stella of Orlando Parkstop, Pokemon has been pushed back to 2030 while Universal prioritizes phase 2 things for EU like that Luigi's Mansion mini land. Hopefully Universal reconsiders and fast tracks Pokemon ASAP for a 2027-2028 opening.
AFAIK that's very accurate. They're basically taking a fix up approach with USF understanding that attendance is going to drop because of Epic regardless. They're not worried about IOA at all.

I will say though, Supercharged is slated to close before Simpsons.

Zelda is still happening though before Pokémon and that's besides the fact other projects have taken priority. There's only so many things you can realistically add to a park/resort at once, but the future of UOR has never looked better.

JKick95

AFAIK that's very accurate. They're basically taking a fix up approach with USF understanding that attendance is going to drop because of Epic regardless. They're not worried about IOA at all.

I will say though, Supercharged is slated to close before Simpsons.

Zelda is still happening though before Pokémon and that's besides the fact other projects have taken priority. There's only so many things you can realistically add to a park/resort at once, but the future of UOR has never looked better.
I look forward to Supercharged closing. The previous ride was vastly superior in my opinion. Does the old set still exist behind the screen tunnel? It would be cool for them to bring back that ride with all the effects or at least something similar if they kept the same ride system.

Zelda makes me worried. Isn’t The Lost Continent the rumored placement for Zelda? Zelda is a very green world outside of the Gerudo Valley and Goron Mountain…. I hope they don’t do it cheaply.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom