News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

BrianLo

I think it depends on the kinds of multi day tickets offered. I know if the option for me would be $300 for 5 days at Universal, or $250 for 2 days at Universal and another $250 or so for a 2 days at Disney parks, I'm only doing Univsersal. As someone who has never taken their kids to Universal, we are waiting for Epic to open to at least see that and IoA, and maybe the other 2 parks if it favors us cost-wise.

I think this is the downside that folks are not fully appreciating. Universal is going to hit a lot closer to pricing parity with WDW for multi day ticketing.

I realize your numbers are a bit illustrative because they are sub what current pricing is, but I’d expect the ratio to more realistically hit 250 for the two park days and 399-450 for the 5 days at Universal.

Or in reality by next year 350 for a two day Uni with park hopping, 350 for a Disney two day with Genie+ or 550 for a 5 day Uni.

LSLS

I think this is the downside that folks are not fully appreciating. Universal is going to hit a lot closer to pricing parity with WDW for multi day ticketing.

I realize your numbers are a bit illustrative because they are sub what current pricing is, but I’d expect the ratio to more realistically hit 250 for the two park days and 399-450 for the 5 days at Universal.

Or in reality by next year 350 for a two day Uni with park hopping, 350 for a Disney two day with Genie+ or 550 for a 5 day Uni.
It will be interesting. Their execs should be paying close attention to what is going on at WDW with the pricing structures and costs. Don't be so focused on tickets, get the people there and get that merch/food/drink sold.

Not to go off on a wild tangent, but I remember when the Lightning changed their entire strategy up on pricing. They knocked the franchise up North for having some of the cheapest tickets. BUT, they have the longest sell-out streak in the league. AND, the part people didn't realize, they have the most expensive concessions. So you may only pay $45 to get a ticket to the games, but you were paying $20 a beer (Season Ticket Holders got them cheaper for what that's worth). So the end result is the ticket and 2 beers cost the same as up North. But Tampa got people in the doors, so more people buying those beers. Really marketing genius on their part, and something Universal should really be considering if they want to take the market share.

bwr827

I look forward to Supercharged closing. The previous ride was vastly superior in my opinion. Does the old set still exist behind the screen tunnel? It would be cool for them to bring back that ride with all the effects or at least something similar if they kept the same ride system.

Zelda makes me worried. Isn’t The Lost Continent the rumored placement for Zelda? Zelda is a very green world outside of the Gerudo Valley and Goron Mountain…. I hope they don’t do it cheaply.
If I’m not para-gliding off a cliff and soaring wherever I want over the park, I don’t even know what we’re doing here. :cool:

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
I look forward to Supercharged closing. The previous ride was vastly superior in my opinion. Does the old set still exist behind the screen tunnel? It would be cool for them to bring back that ride with all the effects or at least something similar if they kept the same ride system.

Zelda makes me worried. Isn’t The Lost Continent the rumored placement for Zelda? Zelda is a very green world outside of the Gerudo Valley and Goron Mountain…. I hope they don’t do it cheaply.
Zelda will have one of the best rides ever made. It won't be cheap and I imagine it'll appeal to a lot of Disney guests in a way many of Universal’s rides don't. And yes, it is replacing Lost Continent still. There is quite a bit of land they can use without even eating into both Poseiden’s Fury and the Sinbad theater for the attraction and it can still be a super headliner.

No idea if Disaster’s old sets are still there (I’d be surprised if they were), but they're not bringing back Disaster. Remember, it was merely splitting up, the excellent mind you, Universal Studios Hollywood Studio Tour into smaller-scaled attractions.

Sure, it was much better than what’s there now, but that’s not a ringing endorsement either for a standalone attraction. The closest you'll ever get back to it is the present one in Hollywood.

Now, the fact that USF’s ride capacity is lower than pre-Jaws is a different issue in of itself, but that's for another day…

lazyboy97o

While both attractions derived from the Studio Tour in Hollywood, they do not use the same ride system or facility. Disaster! and then some was completely demolished to make way for Fast & Furious.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

AFAIK that's very accurate. They're basically taking a fix up approach with USF understanding that attendance is going to drop because of Epic regardless. They're not worried about IOA at all.

I will say though, Supercharged is slated to close before Simpsons.

Zelda is still happening though before Pokémon and that's besides the fact other projects have taken priority. There's only so many things you can realistically add to a park/resort at once, but the future of UOR has never looked better.
Interesting, The impression I got from Alicia Stella was that Pokemon was 2030 and Zelda was put off indefinitely until they can figure out a concept that works due to the scale. If Supercharged is closing before Simpsons, I would assume the space would sit empty until they can figure out what to do with it.

eddie104

AFAIK that's very accurate. They're basically taking a fix up approach with USF understanding that attendance is going to drop because of Epic regardless. They're not worried about IOA at all.

Zelda is still happening though before Pokémon and that's besides the fact other projects have taken priority. There's only so many things you can realistically add to a park/resort at once, but the future of UOR has never looked better.
I’m on here and also the IU forums but do you know if USF is gonna receive an aesthetic overhaul like a new entrance arch?

Zelda will have one of the best rides ever made.
So did they choose a ride system because according to Alicia that’s been the biggest issue as to why the project is still lagging in development?

Disstevefan1

I am looking forward to visiting USF and IOA after EPIC opens, hoping to enjoy lower crowds.

I am looking forward to visiting WDW after EPIC opens, hoping to enjoy magnificent desolation ;)

Jrb1979

Development Hell is probably an apt description for a lot at Universal right now. Their desire to open something new every year is nice unless it results in more filler projects like DreamWorks Land
I can see it working. Build the big ticket rides but in-between you build smaller filler rides.

Rich Brownn

The only thing left from Disaster! is one wall (by where the exit used to be). Everything else was demolished (sob - as it was my favorite job)

Disstevefan1

Development Hell is probably an apt description for a lot at Universal right now. Their desire to open something new every year is nice unless it results in more filler projects like DreamWorks Land.
Filler projects are ALLWAYS BETTER then walls being up for over five years and the end result being a HUGE disappointment - See the EPCOT renovation,

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yes, thanks, let me correct myself.

The Filler project Universal did is specifically better than the disappointing EPCOT renovation when you consider the time, money spent and what we got in the end.
The EPCOT renovation isn't just half the hub. It was a reconfiguration of the parking, the removal of the tombstones and a new entrance, the lights on SSE and all the other supporting LEDs inside and outside the entrance, the new dining hall, the new shop, Cosmic Rewind, Journey of Water, new fireworks shows, new restaurants (220 and the one at Japan), Ratatouille, new Canada show, new Land Pavilion Show.

I don't know how you can consider that equivalent to 'filler.'

Disstevefan1

The EPCOT renovation isn't just half the hub. It was a reconfiguration of the parking, the removal of the tombstones and a new entrance, the lights on SSE and all the other supporting LEDs inside and outside the entrance, the new dining hall, the new shop, Cosmic Rewind, Journey of Water, new fireworks shows, new restaurants (220 and the one at Japan), Ratatouille, new Canada show, new Land Pavilion Show.

I don't know how you can consider that equivalent to 'filler.'
There are some things I like if we are to fold in items done for the 50th into what we are calling the EPCOT renovation.

Just my opinion, overall I am disappointed in the overall results. I especially dislike that terrible rust (finish?) in celebration gardens.

@MisterPenguin I know you love it all and you have every right to. 👍

Gusey

There are some things I like if we are to fold in items done for the 50th into what we are calling the EPCOT renovation.
Disney marketed some of those things for the 50th as part of Epcot's renovation. Anything that opened in Epcot from The new entrance plaza in 2019 to CommuniCore Hall in 2024 are all considered part of the Epcot renovation (Hence the often quoted 5 years)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom