News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Club Cooloholic

So I was watching the videos on the upcoming epic universe that universal has released and I have to say it looks groundbreaking. It looks like a major step sort of how Disney parks made, little local regional parks look small and behind the times. Disney's going to have to do a major reinvestment into some of their current Parks and maybe a new gate with new thinking behind it and much more immersion. I'm still skeptical because of how short I think Star wars land fell of everyone's expectations, but if this universal epic lamd is even half as good as it looks, wow! Look out Disney.

Gringrinngghost

Some notes:
  • Disney has been well aware about a UOR expansion as far back as 2015 when Universal Orlando started to acquire land. While Potter's success gave the resort capital, Cabana Bay's opening in 2014 showed Comcast just how much potential revenue there was to be gained from onsite resorts, which cause the ridiculous amount of growth throughout the resort.
  • Rip Ride Rockit's closure has been hinted at by insiders for about a year now
Oh I am well aware. I was having discussions about HRRR before covid on possible removal. I just usually don't share information about these conversations publicly, as I do all of it behind closed doors.

I'm more concerned about how Universal responds to Epic themselves... they're staffing and operations is nowhere near Disney's quality... I don't know how they will bulk up to a 3rd park. (Epic Universe will be staffed well... but USF/IOA will suffer).
IoA and USF have been hurting since Covid, and with EU being over budget its bleeding into the parks. HHN is at a reduced budget, Kong's 3D removal was budgetary reasons, and you currently have Fast running from 10a-6p so you only need one shift, again budgetary reasons. Then you have Cinesational running on weekends only because half the shows infrastructure wont be done until August. That being said for EU, I know they have poached some Disney talent.

James Alucobond

So I was watching the videos on the upcoming epic universe that universal has released and I have to say it looks groundbreaking. It looks like a major step sort of how Disney parks made, little local regional parks look small and behind the times. Disney's going to have to do a major reinvestment into some of their current Parks and maybe a new gate with new thinking behind it and much more immersion. I'm still skeptical because of how short I think Star wars land fell of everyone's expectations, but if this universal epic lamd is even half as good as it looks, wow! Look out Disney.
I think it looks good, but I am not exactly sure what about it is groundbreaking. It’s the same mono-IP land strategy x4. The IP just happens to be more compelling than what they’ve had access to in the past.

Club Cooloholic

I think it looks good, but I am not exactly sure what about it is groundbreaking. It’s the same mono-IP land strategy x4. The IP just happens to be more compelling than what they’ve had access to in the past.
If the details of the land and the restaurants and ride are of the scale of HP in the current lands, it would be pretty groundbreaking (in that the whole park would be immersive).

Andrew25

IoA and USF have been hurting since Covid, and with EU being over budget its bleeding into the parks. HHN is at a reduced budget, Kong's 3D removal was budgetary reasons, and you currently have Fast running from 10a-6p so you only need one shift, again budgetary reasons. Then you have Cinesational running on weekends only because half the shows infrastructure wont be done until August. That being said for EU, I know they have poached some Disney talent.
They are running Cinesational on the weekdays... the only missing effect is fire (and some other pyro) and additional drones lower to the ground.

It's well known UC has "poached" WDI... but by now some are back at WDI (or planning too) as Disney signals for more investment into the parks.

As for in-park impacts, I'm not entirely convinced it's related to EU directly. A lot of it has to do with Universal wanting to increase investment (Kids, HHN Vegas, UK park, USH expansion) but don't want lower margins/profitability being seen by Wall Street.

Gringrinngghost

They are running Cinesational on the weekdays... the only missing effect is fire (and some other pyro) and additional drones lower to the ground.
The building that's being built along the lagoon is done in August and is for the show. Also official verbiage is Select Nights through August 25th. aka Friday-Sunday...

It's well known UC has "poached" WDI...
I'm not talking about Creative and WDI. I am talking about Resort Operations and other departments.

As for in-park impacts, I'm not entirely convinced it's related to EU directly.
I only been directly told from those in multiple departments who would know...

Andrew25

The building that's being built along the lagoon is done in August and is for the show. Also official verbiage is Select Nights through August 25th. aka Friday-Sunday...
Yes, the building being built is for show support.

They are running the show on weekdays... since I saw it on a Tuesday. The verbiage is to provide Universal leeway on some days when USF closes earlier than 9PM when the show can run.

LSLS

A lot of what you discuss in here has been rumored/speculated by reputable insiders for years, nothing new.

Some notes:
  • Disney has been well aware about a UOR expansion as far back as 2015 when Universal Orlando started to acquire land. While Potter's success gave the resort capital, Cabana Bay's opening in 2014 showed Comcast just how much potential revenue there was to be gained from onsite resorts, which cause the ridiculous amount of growth throughout the resort.
  • Rip Ride Rockit's closure has been hinted at by insiders for about a year now

I'm more concerned about how Universal responds to Epic themselves... they're staffing and operations is nowhere near Disney's quality... I don't know how they will bulk up to a 3rd park. (Epic Universe will be staffed well... but USF/IOA will suffer).
My guess (and by my guess, I mean if I was in charge) is I'd try to loot Disney. Go find those managers who have been there for a bit, offer them some pay raise and benefits and bring them over to really staff up with people who have a lot of experience at Disney.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

They have their weird ways that they do operate, one thing too which I didn't particularly note is that the Orlando Fire Department has been doing training exercises in the Sinbad theater but they were initially waiting for the Hagrid's work to subside.

BMG is mainly back of house now with a lot of the admin staffing taking the nick studios offices, and they do have ideas for the theater, but for now its still being used for Grinchmas. Heres a bit more of what i brought up in may: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...60-billion-over-10-years.982059/post-10925988
Are those ideas for another show or will they eventually want to use it for theme park expansion. (hopefully a dark ride)

Andrew25

My guess (and by my guess, I mean if I was in charge) is I'd try to loot Disney. Go find those managers who have been there for a bit, offer them some pay raise and benefits and bring them over to really staff up with people who have a lot of experience at Disney.
Supposedly (and have) gone after key folks in food & beverage, merch, etc. UOR has updated a lot of in-park dining locations, driven by previous WDW managers/employees.

I still think UOR would benefit more from poaching WDW's in-park operations team managers. You can say whatever you want about the WDW reservation system, but in-park ops still remain at a far higher level than UOR's.

Club Cooloholic

And this is just one land....tell me the last time Disney gave us something like this to get excited about ... They hit all the checkpoints for a family
Family coaster
Waterish Ride
Playground
Live Stage Show
Themed Restaurant
Oh and U ni maybe learned some things...less screens

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
When did this become the EU progress thread? Holy off topic batman.
It's Disney's reaction to EU!!

If it weren't for EU, Disney wouldn't be spending a dime on anything. In fact, they'd probably sabotage rides just so they didn't have to pay anyone to run or maintain them. You'd wake up one morning and go to the MK and find the Dumbo ride gone since Disney sold it to Six Flags for a quick buck.

Club Cooloholic

When did this become the EU progress thread? Holy off topic batman.
If they plan to open a 5th gate and invest in the parks, it's good to know the level of competition they are going up against. EU had the advantage of building off of what has worked and not worked and making it better. A 5th gate for WDW would allow them to do that too, if they choose to, but with Star Wars Land, and even what they did with Marvel in DL as a template I am skeptical.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If they plan to open a 5th gate and invest in the parks, it's good to know the level of competition they are going up against. EU had the advantage of building off of what has worked and not worked and making it better. A 5th gate for WDW would allow them to do that too, if they choose to, but with Star Wars Land, and even what they did with Marvel in DL as a template I am skeptical.

There isn't a 5th gate coming for at least the next 10 years. I don't think one will be built in my lifetime, honestly.

Club Cooloholic

There isn't a 5th gate coming for at least the next 10 years. I don't think one will be built in my lifetime, honestly.
And honestly it might not need one, but something drastic could be done. I feel like some of these places have become just odd mismashes, where the a lack of cohesiveness and immersion has occured.
It's crazy to say, but one the most exciting things to me would be if Disney said we are closing Adventureland...all of it for at least a year maybe 2 to completely rehab and rehaul it, modernize and update it. Then follow that with Frontier, and then Tomorrow land etc...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom