News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Nubs70

It is incredible to see timelines. How long did it take to build the Magic Kingdom Park? Wasn't it around 11 months of actual construction?
There are many timelines on projects.

The most basic are:
Announcement
Ground Breaking
Topping out - completion of structural steel
Enclosure
Construction completion
Commissioning
Acceptance

Large facility construction is typically done from ground breaking to Construction completion in 19 months. After completion, there is a defined period of commissioning until the project is accepted with a warranty period thereafter.

DisDude33

Dennis Spiegel has been telling the news what he has been hearing about a fifth gate since earlier this year, before the reveal of the new development document.

He was inducted into the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions Hall of Fame in 2022, so he is pretty much an insider.
Rumors of a fifth park have been popping up since DAK opened and many of them were true at the time they were being told but ultimately they fall apart (usually because of budgetary reasons) all I’ll say is that right now any talks of a fifth park or even more “blue sky” than Villain’s Land and I think most of us have accepted that Villian’s will likely never happen.

My understanding is that the next 10 years at WDW is about expanding what is already there and growing capacity the existing areas. Once those goals have been met and the company as a whole is in a more stable financial position then the idea of a new park will be discussed more seriously.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The most basic are:
Announcement
Ground Breaking
Enclosure
Construction completion
Commissioning
Acceptance

Large facility construction is typically done from ground breaking to Construction completion in 19 months. After completion, there is a defined period of commissioning until the project is accepted with a warranty period thereafter.

I would argue that Announcement is not part of the construction time line, it is purely a Marketing decision and can be anywhere during the construction process.

lazyboy97o

The most basic are:
Announcement
Ground Breaking
Enclosure
Construction completion
Commissioning
Acceptance

Most of these are milestones, and ones like announcement or even groundbreaking are largely ceremonial. They also skip over the months to years of design work that has to occur before construction starts.

Commissioning is a process related to building systems. It is not a given nor does it trigger most warranties as those are tied to substantial completion. A good commissioning is going to start during design and end after occupancy, not just get wedged between substantial completion and occupancy.

BrianLo

Disney should keep the mouths shut about any new project or lands giving people false hope. When construction actually starts then announce what is being done and projected completion

I just don't see how that improves anything. Or why you would hang out on a rumour form if you don't want to hear anything about forthcoming projects. Yes, they shouldn't announce things that they have no plans to complete. But we've seen things come off the rails in all different stages. After permitting. Even after significant site prep work.

How does the company pretending there are no projects when they also are not actively in construction for projects improve this fan communities perception about anything going on right now? It would just magnify everything. I'm happy AND was happy to hear about what they were thinking in 2022, because it gave me some hope they actually were working on things and weren't planning to let the parks languish again for another decade. Plus half of those appropriately labeled announcements as very early were more accurate on things they've actually permitted, worked on and subsequently cancelled in the past.

John park hopper

When Disney announces they are going to do something it is not a rumor and gives people false hope that yes Disney will follow through --unfortunately many times they don't. When a poster not affiliated with Disney posts something simply on speculation ---that is a rumor

Nubs70

I would argue that Announcement is not part of the construction time line, it is purely a Marketing decision and can be anywhere during the construction process.
I agree to a point that the announcement is not a part of the construction critical path. However, it is a symbolic gesture that is a part of the start of the project just as a ribbon cutting ceremony is not the end of the project.

JMcMahonEsq

When Disney announces they are going to do something it is not a rumor and gives people false hope that yes Disney will follow through --unfortunately many times they don't. When a poster not affiliated with Disney posts something simply on speculation ---that is a rumor
When Disney makes an announcement it is a thought, an idea, a plan, which are all subject to change. It’s not binding, it’s not a contract. It might being made for marketing purposes, it might be made to judge interest, or it might be made with the intention of happening and then things change. If certain people somehow think any business announcement someone is binding, then that’s their problem not Disney’s

lazyboy97o

How many projects in the past decade were announced and didn’t happen not due to the pandemic? How many weren’t part of Evolving Epcot?

LSLS

How many projects in the past decade were announced and didn’t happen not due to the pandemic? How many weren’t part of Evolving Epcot?
I don't have a running list, but the one that absolutely jumps out to me is that theater. But I think this goes to the real issue with the Blue Sky announcements. People don't take it as a look behind the scenes at things being thrown against a wall that have yet to be worked out (and most likely won't happen), they are taking these as things that are coming. It's why making a big pitch on things not even close to green lit is a bad idea.

Gusey

Everything announced and cancelled since 2009 (When D23 Expo & Disney Parks Blog began)
  • 2009 - Pixie Hollow and Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty meet and greet attractions for New Fantasyland for Magic Kingdom
  • 2010 - Hyperion Wharf for Downtown Disney
  • 2015 - Scandinavia and Alice in Wonderland attraction at Tokyo Disneyland
  • 2017 -
    • Main Street Theater at Magic Kingdom
    • 4th hotel for Disneyland Resort
  • 2018 -
    • Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at Walt Disney Studios Park
    • Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Lodge @ Fort Wilderness (Covid Cancel)
  • 2019 -
    • PLAY! Pavilion at Epcot (Unsure if Covid Cancel as it's only just been removed from Disney's press releases this year)
    • Wondrous China at Epcot
    • Festival Pavilion at Epcot (Covid Cancel)
    • Mary Poppins attraction at Epcot (Covid Cancel)
    • Spaceship Earth update at Epcot (Covid Cancel)
    • Avengers Quinject attraction at DCA
  • 2020 - Harmonious daytime fountain show at Epcot

Last edited:

John park hopper

Everything announced and cancelled since 2009 (When D23 Expo & Disney Parks Blog began)
  • 2009 - Pixie Hollow and Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty meet and greet attractions for New Fantasyland for Magic Kingdom
  • 2010 - Hyperion Wharf for Downtown Disney
  • 2015 - Scandinavia and Alice in Wonderland attraction at Tokyo Disneyland
  • 2017 -
    • Main Street Theater at Magic Kingdom
    • 4th hotel for Disneyland Resort
  • 2018 -
    • Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at Walt Disney Studios Park
    • Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Lodge @ Fort Wilderness (Covid Cancel)
  • 2019 -
    • PLAY! Pavilion at Epcot (Unsure if Covid Cancel as it's only just been removed from Disney's press releases this year)
    • Wondrous China at Epcot
    • Festival Pavilion at Epcot (Covid Cancel)
    • Mary Poppins attraction at Epcot (Covid Cancel)
    • Spaceship Earth update at Epcot (Covid Cancel)
    • Avengers Quinject attraction at Epcot
  • 2020 - Harmonious daytime fountain show at Epcot
impressive list of we're gonna

Gusey

impressive list of we're gonna
I will say that a lot of those plans were replaced by something else in the end. New Fantasyland was updated to add Seven Dwarfs Mine Train rather than Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty meet and greets. Hyperion Wharf would become the larger Disney Springs project. Scandinavia was replaced by Fantasy Springs. Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at WDS is to be replaced by another land (rumored to be Lion King), Festival Pavilion replaced by CommuniCore Hall & Avengers Quinjet replaced by Avengers Multiverse?

JMcMahonEsq

I don't have a running list, but the one that absolutely jumps out to me is that theater. But I think this goes to the real issue with the Blue Sky announcements. People don't take it as a look behind the scenes at things being thrown against a wall that have yet to be worked out (and most likely won't happen), they are taking these as things that are coming. It's why making a big pitch on things not even close to green lit is a bad idea.
Why would it be a bad idea? These blue sky presentations are made to very small, very niche groups. These aren't large scale announcements being made to the masses. These are basically insider sneak/peaks. When something makes it to ABC for a special presentation or makes it to features on the morning news shows, that's when they are making their mass announcements that they are offering to the world and those plans are locked in. D23 or other types of announcements to the fanatics are more general in nature, just talking about ideas, thoughts, plans. Emphasis on PLANS, these aren't guarantees. In the broad scheme of things D23 can be looked at as a free (hell people are actually paying to go) focus group for Disney. Some things may get green lit, some might not. It lets Disney get feedback and to build a buzz. And it gives people who are interested some thoughts on what is being considered. Nothing less, nothing more.

Gusey

Why would it be a bad idea? These blue sky presentations are made to very small, very niche groups. These aren't large scale announcements being made to the masses. These are basically insider sneak/peaks. When something makes it to ABC for a special presentation or makes it to features on the morning news shows, that's when they are making their mass announcements that they are offering to the world and those plans are locked in. D23 or other types of announcements to the fanatics are more general in nature, just talking about ideas, thoughts, plans. Emphasis on PLANS, these aren't guarantees. In the broad scheme of things D23 can be looked at as a free (hell people are actually paying to go) focus group for Disney. Some things may get green lit, some might not. It lets Disney get feedback and to build a buzz. And it gives people who are interested some thoughts on what is being considered. Nothing less, nothing more.
I think the issue with the 2022 D23 blue sky session was they it originally sounded like they were officially announcing a replacement for Dinoland and Beyond Big Thunder, before they started to say we might do this or we might do that. I remember a lot of Disney news sites saying "Dinsey announces a Zootopia land"/Disney announces a Villains Land, when that wasn't the case.

DCLcruiser

I think the issue with the 2022 D23 blue sky session was they it originally sounded like they were officially announcing a replacement for Dinoland and Beyond Big Thunder, before they started to say we might do this or we might do that. I remember a lot of Disney news sites saying "Dinsey announces a Zootopia land"/Disney announces a Villains Land, when that wasn't the case.
IIRC, they made it clear that this was all blue sky. Not a finalized project.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom