News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
IIRC, they made it clear that this was all blue sky. Not a finalized project.
Indeed they did.

And the blue sky for DAK was a Moana water ride which was changed out to Tropical America. And that Moana ride is, according to insiders, still happening as being behind PotC.

And the BBTMR blue sky is replaced by some other project, maybe...

Stuff is happening as they announced, but it all shifted. As blue sky is wont to do, by definition of "blue sky."

The only announced thing that seems to have dropped off the radar is Zootopia for Tree of Life.

LSLS

Why would it be a bad idea? These blue sky presentations are made to very small, very niche groups. These aren't large scale announcements being made to the masses. These are basically insider sneak/peaks. When something makes it to ABC for a special presentation or makes it to features on the morning news shows, that's when they are making their mass announcements that they are offering to the world and those plans are locked in. D23 or other types of announcements to the fanatics are more general in nature, just talking about ideas, thoughts, plans. Emphasis on PLANS, these aren't guarantees. In the broad scheme of things D23 can be looked at as a free (hell people are actually paying to go) focus group for Disney. Some things may get green lit, some might not. It lets Disney get feedback and to build a buzz. And it gives people who are interested some thoughts on what is being considered. Nothing less, nothing more.
Because of exactly what you see here. You develop a reputation of not following through on things announced, even if they are things that they were just spit balling at this point. You put in expectations or hype, and then don't follow through, people get mad. And all the "We just think this could be a cool idea but we aren't sure we are going to do it" doesn't make the headline. What makes the headline is "Disney looking to build a Villain's Land." Sure, you can blame the media writing the headline, or the consumer for not reading all the way through or tempering their expectations, but that doesn't change the reality that people see it as another "See, another announced thing they aren't doing." It's not about what you say, it's about realizing what the general public sees in the headlines when they look up Disney news.

Which all reminds me, another thing announced was all the interactive elements of Star Wars land that instead was moved to a Star Cruiser paywall.

JMcMahonEsq

Because of exactly what you see here. You develop a reputation of not following through on things announced, even if they are things that they were just spit balling at this point. You put in expectations or hype, and then don't follow through, people get mad. And all the "We just think this could be a cool idea but we aren't sure we are going to do it" doesn't make the headline. What makes the headline is "Disney looking to build a Villain's Land." Sure, you can blame the media writing the headline, or the consumer for not reading all the way through or tempering their expectations, but that doesn't change the reality that people see it as another "See, another announced thing they aren't doing." It's not about what you say, it's about realizing what the general public sees in the headlines when they look up Disney news.

Which all reminds me, another thing announced was all the interactive elements of Star Wars land that instead was moved to a Star Cruiser paywall.
What we see here doesn't matter in any type of business sense. The people who are on this, and other, message board/fan boards for Disney are fanatics so at the margin of the overall Disney customer base that any reaction here can't and shouldn't be considered. The General Public doesn't see or know what goes on at D23, or any special leaks. The general public doesn't talk about E Ticket rides, or how many animatronics were on the old splash vs the new Tianna. They don't engage in hours of discussion on the return of the Disney Magical Express, and if a new Moana ride fits better in AK or MK. The general public books trips to Disney because its where Mickey and Minnie are. Its where they went as a kid, and where they kids can go see Anna and Elsa. The general public gets their "news", to the extent information about an amusement park can be considered news, when there is a Sunday night prime time special on ABC. Or when there is a special segment announcing a new ride/park during the NBA playoffs.

To your point, the general public is not googling headlines for Disney news. Hell given how much AI analytics drive what we are shown on the web, most people who are not already Disney obsessed are not getting Disney centric blogs/posts in their feeds.

DCLcruiser

D23 is certainly watched by, or attended by, investors and Wall St. analysts. The information is built into their price assumptions. So, anything that is said there is material public information and can impact the stock. That is why they have to be clear that it is blue sky.

LSLS

What we see here doesn't matter in any type of business sense. The people who are on this, and other, message board/fan boards for Disney are fanatics so at the margin of the overall Disney customer base that any reaction here can't and shouldn't be considered. The General Public doesn't see or know what goes on at D23, or any special leaks. The general public doesn't talk about E Ticket rides, or how many animatronics were on the old splash vs the new Tianna. They don't engage in hours of discussion on the return of the Disney Magical Express, and if a new Moana ride fits better in AK or MK. The general public books trips to Disney because its where Mickey and Minnie are. Its where they went as a kid, and where they kids can go see Anna and Elsa. The general public gets their "news", to the extent information about an amusement park can be considered news, when there is a Sunday night prime time special on ABC. Or when there is a special segment announcing a new ride/park during the NBA playoffs.

To your point, the general public is not googling headlines for Disney news. Hell given how much AI analytics drive what we are shown on the web, most people who are not already Disney obsessed are not getting Disney centric blogs/posts in their feeds.
Could be. But, if people want any news on Disney, Disney Food Blog is a big one they end up at, and they discuss what a villains land would look like after it was announced. 3 paragraphs down they say it may never happen, but if you read the headline only, it's about a Villain expansion. CNN has discussed the investment including Beyond Big Thunder. So has Entertainment Weekly and Business Insider. You could be right, and it could just be our small group here that really knew about it. My point is I don't understand what you gain taking the risk that it blows up and isn't just our group.

I'll point out again, I think Disney did everything they could to point out it is nothing close to concrete (again, I'm not saying there's anything nefarious on their part), I just think the chances of it getting picked up as something coming was too great for a company who had recently cancelled a BUNCH of projects. Anyways, this is probably the wrong thread for this discussion on how well they follow through, so I'll leave my thoughts at this.

Tha Realest

Everything announced and cancelled since 2009 (When D23 Expo & Disney Parks Blog began)
  • 2009 - Pixie Hollow and Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty meet and greet attractions for New Fantasyland for Magic Kingdom
  • 2010 - Hyperion Wharf for Downtown Disney
  • 2015 - Scandinavia and Alice in Wonderland attraction at Tokyo Disneyland
  • 2017 -
    • Main Street Theater at Magic Kingdom
    • 4th hotel for Disneyland Resort
  • 2018 -
    • Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at Walt Disney Studios Park
    • Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Lodge @ Fort Wilderness (Covid Cancel)
  • 2019 -
    • PLAY! Pavilion at Epcot (Unsure if Covid Cancel as it's only just been removed from Disney's press releases this year)
    • Wondrous China at Epcot
    • Festival Pavilion at Epcot (Covid Cancel)
    • Mary Poppins attraction at Epcot (Covid Cancel)
    • Spaceship Earth update at Epcot (Covid Cancel)
    • Avengers Quinject attraction at Epcot
  • 2020 - Harmonious daytime fountain show at Epcot
I’m personally grateful none of those 2019 things came about.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Everything announced and cancelled since 2009 (When D23 Expo & Disney Parks Blog began)
  • 2009 - Pixie Hollow and Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty meet and greet attractions for New Fantasyland for Magic Kingdom
  • 2010 - Hyperion Wharf for Downtown Disney
  • 2015 - Scandinavia and Alice in Wonderland attraction at Tokyo Disneyland
  • 2017 -
    • Main Street Theater at Magic Kingdom
    • 4th hotel for Disneyland Resort
  • 2018 -
    • Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at Walt Disney Studios Park
    • Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Lodge @ Fort Wilderness (Covid Cancel)
  • 2019 -
    • PLAY! Pavilion at Epcot (Unsure if Covid Cancel as it's only just been removed from Disney's press releases this year)
    • Wondrous China at Epcot
    • Festival Pavilion at Epcot (Covid Cancel)
    • Mary Poppins attraction at Epcot (Covid Cancel)
    • Spaceship Earth update at Epcot (Covid Cancel)
    • Avengers Quinject attraction at Epcot
  • 2020 - Harmonious daytime fountain show at Epcot
Am I the only one happy that festival pavilion didn't happen? All it would have done was add a paid Harmonious viewing location and block the view of SSE from world showcase. Also "Avengers Quuinjet Attraction at Epcot" lol.

James Alucobond

Am I the only one happy that festival pavilion didn't happen? All it would have done was add a paid Harmonious viewing location and block the view of SSE from world showcase. Also "Avengers Quuinjet Attraction at Epcot" lol.
I'm happy it didn't happen, but CommuniCore Hall feels really unambitious if I'm judging it based on what I can see of it thus far.

ToTBellHop

Indeed they did.

And the blue sky for DAK was a Moana water ride which was changed out to Tropical America. And that Moana ride is, according to insiders, still happening as being behind PotC.

And the BBTMR blue sky is replaced by some other project, maybe...

Stuff is happening as they announced, but it all shifted. As blue sky is wont to do, by definition of "blue sky."

The only announced thing that seems to have dropped off the radar is Zootopia for Tree of Life.
No idea what's going on with Zootopia but I imagine they'll want it open before Dino closes. They need a new family-friendly attraction in the park before TriceraTop Spin and Dig Site are closed.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I am disappointed it wasn't built, it had a really cool futuristic design that fits in well with Epcot. I don't know how much of the view it would have actually blocked since it was off center from where Spaceship Earth is.

doctornick

Spaceship Earth also had promise.

I want to see the ride get the refurb it needs, but I am absolutely petrified about what they will do in terms of the content/story and would prefer they just keep it as is over trying to "modernize". I have zero faith in the current crop of WDI folks making a ride that is appropriate for the space given other things they have done.

BrianLo

But I think this goes to the real issue with the Blue Sky announcements. People don't take it as a look behind the scenes at things being thrown against a wall that have yet to be worked out (and most likely won't happen), they are taking these as things that are coming.

Hard disagree. This forum took it the totally opposite direction. As fake projects that were never going to happen and empty promises.

The Bluesky sessions was extremely, extremely sign posted and labeled in the keynote as such. How are we honestly in a worse place today having experienced it? By all means get mad at the things they actually announced and never carried through with. Don't get annoyed with the blue sky session.

I like the early look at projects and having had the opportunity to watch them evolve. Particularly since it seems like they evolved for the better. I'm sorry you all want your relationship to the company to be one of media press releases months before opening projects.

This is literally the antithesis of this sub-forums entire reason to exist. I want a look behind the curtain and I'm so confused why there's a contingent who argues so strongly against it? Not talking about anything wasn't going to change the endpoint. But it does change the journey.

I understand it is frustrating that the company is not seemingly opening things of merit in the 2025/2026 window. But pretending they didn't have a big project in the works for 2027 wasn't going to change that calculus. It would just make fan sentiment worse.

Tha Realest

I want to see the ride get the refurb it needs, but I am absolutely petrified about what they will do in terms of the content/story and would prefer they just keep it as is over trying to "modernize". I have zero faith in the current crop of WDI folks making a ride that is appropriate for the space given other things they have done.
I have no doubt many in the company were (are?) licking their lips at the prospect of replacing entire sequences of this attraction.

bwr827

It’s in major need of overhaul. The icon of the park, and so cool to think there’s a ride in there! And then you ride it. It’s quaint, I guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom