News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

donsullivan

Premium Member
Lots of people misinterpreting what was announced this week. The development agreement is NOT a commitment by Disney to spend a dime or to build anything at all over any period of time. By Florida law, the district is required to publish a development plan every decade of what growth they see within the district and how they’ll meet the infrastructure requirements to support that growth. That plan identifies eligible real estate that ‘could’ be developed for various purposes during the term of the plan. I’m pretty sure the option to build a 5th theme park has been in at least the last 2 master plans for the former RCID but Disney never moved forward on that option. This is nothing more than the district and Walt Disney World stating this is the MAXIMUM they could build during that period. They are not committing to do any of what’s in there.

This link will take you to a good description of what they produce

All that was announced is an agreement of the absolutely maximum that Disney might decide to do that will then be incorporated into the districts 10 year Development Plan. The last one got mucked up by COVID and politics. This one will replace that and become the basis for the next decade or so of development on the land.

Now that they have this agreement in place, Disney can go ahead and decide what projects they’d like to move on within the bounds of the agreed development plan for the overall property and work with the district for roads and other infrastructure needed to support that development.

Advisable Joseph

Local WESH news is reporting tonight that Disney is planning a fifth major park and two new minor parks. I don’t see this being reported anywhere else. What are they going on about?

There's also this recent article from the Orlando Sentinel. (Use desktop mode or a computer.) Dennis Speigel, CEO and "founder of International Theme Park Services, which provides management and development services" talks about the fifth park he has been hearing about.

Jim Hill is also quoted, but he seems confused, claiming something about "decades," which sounds more like DisneylandForward.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There's also this recent article from the Orlando Sentinel. (Use desktop mode or a computer.) Dennis Speigel, CEO and "founder of International Theme Park Services, which provides management and development services" talks about the fifth park he has been hearing about.

Jim Hill is also quoted, but he seems confused, claiming something about "decades," which sounds more like DisneylandForward.
Indeed.

The old land use plan had area set aside for a new park if Disney wanted to build it.

The new land use plan has area set aside for a new park if Disney wanted to build it.

Nothing has changed except for people not knowing about the previous land use plan or even what a land use plan is all about and reading into it.

Advisable Joseph

Indeed.

The old land use plan had area set aside for a new park if Disney wanted to build it.

The new land use plan has area set aside for a new park if Disney wanted to build it.

Nothing has changed except for people not knowing about the previous land use plan or even what a land use plan is all about and reading into it.
Dennis Spiegel has been telling the news what he has been hearing about a fifth gate since earlier this year, before the reveal of the new development document.

He was inducted into the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions Hall of Fame in 2022, so he is pretty much an insider.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Goofnut1980

I mean, it was also horrendously unsafe and not at all the same thing, but whatevs.
Oh I understand that. But they hired crews to build. Disney hires 2 Men and a Truck to do it. I can't say I ever saw more than a dozen people working on an attraction except the 25 supervisors standing around watching paint dry.. LOL

Goofnut1980

The absolute insanity of trying to compare construction in the 1930's to now just defies logic. That's setting aside the number of dead and injured during construction
my point is, Disney doesn't want the job done in a timely manner. They get extra hype by hiring 15 people to create the whole thing and take 3+ years to create the hype. Then when its said and done, folks are underwhelmed.

lazyboy97o

my point is, Disney doesn't want the job done in a timely manner. They get extra hype by hiring 15 people to create the whole thing and take 3+ years to create the hype. Then when its said and done, folks are underwhelmed.
my point being, they hired a crew of 3,500 people to construct. Disney hires a small crew to do the work.
This isn’t even close to true. Disney’s project teams are massive. If anything they have too many people working on any one project.

JMcMahonEsq

This just patently false. Disney if anything overstaffs project to make sure things get done how they want it. At least in WDW and in the China parks. I don't have any personal experience in CA or France.

As to timely, I actually haven't seen too many Disney project (other than covid timeframe) with huge critical path schedule delays. However, what Disney doesn't care about is what outsiders perceive as timely. Construction projects are run per the construction schedule, they don't care when announcements were made, when hints were given out as to what might be built or D23 blue sky topics. A baseline schedule is created, accepted, and construction begins and is managed per that schedule.

Now I have seen openings be planned based around certain marketing strategies...which is what a business should do. It makes absolutely no sense to rush and open a new ride in 20 months, if opening it up in 3 months later due to seasonal demand, other maintenance issues, or a myriad of other factors makes the later opening more commercially viable. Its not a race to just get things done as quick as possible.

Gusey

From announcement to opening, these attractions worldwide took the longest to complete (of dates we know, as World of Frozen at Disney Adventure World will be over 7 years):
  1. Haunted Mansion at Disneyland (7 years, 7 months, 9 days) - December 31, 1961 - August 9, 1969
  2. World of Frozen at Hong Kong Disneyland (6 years, 11 months 29 days) - November 22, 2016 - November 20, 2023
  3. Fantasy Springs at Tokyo DisneySea (5 years, 11 months, 23 days) - June 14, 2018 - June 6, 2024
  4. Tron Lightcycle/Run at Magic Kingdom (5 years, 8 months, 20 days) - July 15, 2017 - April 4, 2023
  5. Pandora: The World of Avatar at Animal Kingdom (5 years, 8 months, 20 days) - September 20, 2011 - May 27, 2017
The quickest though are:
  1. Monsters Inc Laugh Floor at Magic Kingdom (6 months, 23 days) - September 10, 2006 - April 2, 2007
  2. The Timekeeper at Tokyo Disneyland (7 months, 15 days) - August 31, 1992 - April 15, 1993
  3. Magic Carpets of Aladdin at Magic Kingdom (7 months, 24 days) - September 30, 2000 - May 24, 2001
  4. A Bug's Land at DCA (7 months, 29 days) - February 8, 2002 - October 7, 2002
  5. Monsters Inc, Mike & Sulley to the Rescue! at DCA (8 months, 18 days) - May 5, 2005 - January 23, 2006

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom