Disney plans resorts reorganization, layoffs

jakeman

You're right that we don't know your situation, but we do know what you are asking. You are asking for layoffs of frontline cast member so you hopefully can be laid off and receive compensation.

You are neglecting how that situations would affect others and are only concerned with yourself. To wish for anyone to lose their job so you can lose yours is incredulious to me.

I'm sorry you don't like your job, but what your asking for is so self centered and shocking, it's hard to believe that you aren't just trolling.

gatorcard83

Oh boy. I knew that was coming.

SirGoofy...what I think you fail to realize...is that Disney is a job for a lot of people. It's not a life experience, as it is for you. You'd be perfect on a radio casting commercial.

I'm not going to categorize myself in either category. However, I'm going to bring out both sides.

A job is a place where one goes to work and make money. Years ago, before you were a cast member, Disney upped the experience, and really made it magical for cast members. However, greed and politics prevailed. It's not what it used to be. Many things that Gator discusses didn't use to be.

But...again, it's a job. And right now, people can't just quit and leave, because frankly, there's no other jobs out there. So they have to stay and make the same $7 an hour. Rooming with 3-4 people to make ends meet. For many people (obviously you're not one of them)...that reduces the quality of life.

Saying that, I'm incredibly happy that you can't wait to go to work everyday. That's a GREAT THING when you do what you love...and I encourage everyone to do the same...if they are able.

There will always be Disney nuts...and I'm NOT saying that negatively. Ones that work at work, play at work, and spend their off days at work....and yes...even post messages about work on the internet! :) haha

But don't hold it against the ones that work to make money, to make a living, and/or to provide for a family. Which is what the majority of front-line full-time (non-CP) cast members work for.

Again, love that you love your job. I love mine...but at the end of the day...it's about the paycheck that arrives on Thursday. And without it, I'd be in a whole heap of trouble.

I have to say that this describes the two different types of CM's very well. I used to be in the former group, the group that worked at Disney, played at Disney, and basically lived at Disney. Then reality set in, and I just started seeing more of the BS on a daily basis that I hated. I also saw that the whole marketing strategy of "the company hires from within" was a lie that I bought hook, line, and sinker. That is when my opinion of the company turned. Unless my family is in town, I do not spend a second of my free time at the parks, I'd rather go over to the beach or go to Barnes and Noble and read a good novel.

This post though should be required reading for all CM's. Both sides could gain a lot from this perspective.

Thank you for seeing both sides Lightboy. I could swear you know me somehow with your perspective. Like I said, I still want to enjoy Disney and I want to get that magic back. I try my best to make the guest stay magical, and I think most days I at least somewhat succeed. But the junk that I and a lot of other CM's go through is not worth the little pay we get. I just know that I will not be able to enjoy Disney until I stop working here. I feel like if I don't get out soon, I will hate Disney forever, which I do not want. Eventually I would like to be able to come back as a true guest again with my family and remember the Disney magic.

gatorcard83

Lightboy I completely agree with you on the cafeteria food as well. If you buy anything more than chips you are forking over an hour's worth of pay, possible more.

lightboy

Your welcome. I'm not bashing either side.

Just trying to open the eyes of both sides! :)

I do however, NOT hope for layoffs :) haha That would be bad...very very bad.....

lightboy

How about we take a vote...

Who else would like to see the Subway $5 Footlong deal honored at the cafeteria?? (instead it's about $8-9 last time I checked)

HAHA

:sohappy:

(Sorry...not sure how I transformed this from layoffs to the Subway $5 Footlong Deal...hmm...oh...! It's lunchtime!)

cpeterstx

I need that compensation money (even though I have more money in my bank account than probably 80% of hourly front-line CM's) while I develop my partnership LLC and go back to school for HR Certification and possibly grad school (nevermind it gives me 6 months to find a job in this economy, I already have several feelers with other hotels in the area). Simply put, they haven't made it easy on me, I am not going to make it easy on them, yet.

Goodness! If you're miserable now, just wait until you go into the Human Resources profession!!

gatorcard83

I know my mom hates the fact that they are getting rid of the resort specific merchandise. If they don't watch it, there will be no reason for people from the west coast or inter-mountain west area to visit WDW. They can get all the same attractions at DLR without spending nearly as much money. Same would go in reverse.

Well it's been a fun conversation everyone. Off to work now, hopefully I survive another day.

Computer Magic

I'm hoping for the former, but I'm betting on the latter. I really doubt the individuals who will do work for both resorts are at a higher enough level to make an impact on anything other than t-shirt and cup designs.

Any ideas?
That is my concern as well. The fact that this is stated as a positive, leaves me to be believe a cookie cutter place. Cookie cutter modal is good for business but bad for creativity.

As an example of what it hopes to achieve through the streamlining, Disney pointed to the simultaneous development of Toy Story Mania! attractions at both Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando and Disney's California Adventure in Anaheim, which helped hold down design costs.

WDWFigment

This back-and-forth among gatorcard, lightboy, and others is all well and fine, and interesting, but it's only marginally related to the topic at hand. I understand the concept of thread-drift, but here, besides my post and MousDad's, we've had no on-topic discussion to begin. The OP's topic is an interesting piece of news that will affect the operations of the parks, so if we could get this topic back on track, that would be wonderful.

As for the interesting sidebar (that has displaced the OP's topic), your discussion is interesting as well...perhaps one of you could start a new thread...

Computer Magic

This back-and-forth among gatorcard, lightboy, and others is all well and fine, and interesting, but it's only marginally related to the topic at hand. I understand the concept of thread-drift, but here, besides my post and MousDad's, we've had no on-topic discussion to begin. The OP's topic is an interesting piece of news that will affect the operations of the parks, so if we could get this topic back on track, that would be wonderful.

As for the interesting sidebar (that has displaced the OP's topic), your discussion is interesting as well...perhaps one of you could start a new thread...
Wasn't my post on topic..not this one, my last one :p

okay back on topic......now

jakeman

You are right.

It will be a tough balance it looks like. On the other hand...generic park merchandising aside, the prospect of less resort unique attracts may be apealling to folks that can't get to both resorts regularly.

yankspy

Disney plans resorts reorganization, layoffs

Jason Garcia |Sentinel Staff Writer7:51 PM EST, February 18, 2009
The Walt Disney Co. on Wednesday said it would eliminate an undisclosed number of jobs as part of a sweeping corporate overhaul at its domestic resorts, which includes plans to combine back-office operations at Walt Disney World and Disneyland.

Disney would not say how many jobs it intends to cut or how much money it expects to save through the moves. The company employs about 80,000 people at its U.S. resorts, including 62,000 in Central Florida.

With the shakeup, Disney will consolidate East and West Coast "operating infrastructure" - responsibilities ranging from procurement to menu-planning to merchandise - under Al Weiss, the president of worldwide operations for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.

The plans also call for uniting disparate creative engineering and business development units under single executives.
In a written statement, Disney said it was forced to speed up corporate streamlining plans by the worsening global recession, which has eroded revenue at its theme parks and elsewhere across the Burbank, Calif.-company's media-and-entertainment empire.

"These changes are essential to maintaining our leadership position in family tourism and reflect today's economic realities," Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo said in the statement.In a separate memo to employees Wednesday, Rasulo wrote that "organization changes require difficult decisions, including the elimination of some roles.

"These decisions were not made lightly and we know this will be a challenging transition. The people affected are our friends and colleagues, and they have made valuable contributions," Rasulo added in the memo.

The announcement comes the same month Disney revealed that its first quarter profits fell 32 percent. Operating profit in the parks-and-resorts division fell 24 percent during the three-month period, which ended Dec. 27.

It also follows Disney's decision last month to offer buyouts to more than 600 executives at its domestic resorts. A spokesman said Disney received "a satisfactory response" to the offer, though Disney declined to say how many executives took the buyouts.

John Gerner, managing director of Leisure Business Advisors, a Richmond, Va., consultant firm, said Disney will likely be able to make deep cost cuts by consolidating operations.

"I think it definitely has quite a lot of potential for savings. 5As far as the theme parks go, there's definitely economies of scale in being able to merge all those operations together to the extent that they can and centralize them," Gerner said.

But Gerner said Disney, which relies on a constant infusion of fresh content to fuel everything from park attendance to DVD sales, must not cut too deeply in creative areas.

"They've got to be careful because there are so many very specialized people that work for Disney, especially on the creative side, that would be very difficult to replace once things turn around," Gerner said. "That's what a lot of creative companies, not only Disney, have to rely on."

In addition to steering "operating infrastructure" at the Orlando and Anaheim, Calif., parks through Weiss, Disney said that its Walt Disney Imagineering unit would be reorganized into a single practice reporting to Bruce Vaughn, executive vice president and chief creative executive, and Craig Russell, executive vice president and chief design and project delivery executive.

The company also said it would establish a new "Global Business Development team" headed by Executive Vice President Nick Franklin, which will be charged with combining existing business and real-estate development functions. The unit be will responsible for focusing growth strategies at existing parks-and-resorts businesses and identifying new opportunities around the globe. Vaughn, Russell and Franklin are all based in California.

Disney said other departments will make "appropriate changes" in the coming weeks.

As an example of what it hopes to achieve through the streamlining, Disney pointed to the simultaneous development of Toy Story Mania! attractions at both Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando and Disney's California Adventure in Anaheim, which helped hold down design costs.

The corporate overhaul means fewer employees will now report directly to Meg Crofton, president of Walt Disney World, and Ed Grier, president of Disneyland. But the two executives will continue to oversee the functions at their respective parks that deal directly with customers, employees and the local communities.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-bk-disney-reorg-021909,0,1094627.story

Okay, the bolded parts seem most interesting to me.

First, Who was responsible for procurement, menu planning, etc. before this. Will Al Weiss do a better job?

Second, what does the Imagineering reorganization mean? What are the creative reputations of Craig Russell and Bruce Vaughn?

Sorry, no answers just more questions.:)

SirGoofy

Just to clarify, I don't see this company with rose-colored glasses. If you've read any of my posts, I absolutely hate the direction the company is going in currently. I hate the Wal-mart quality merchandise, I hate the neglect of the parks, especially of MK, and I pretty much loathe all of WDW management (minus Epcot East Operations, those guys are great).

But when I'm working I want the people around me to have fun, cuz that's why we are hired. I'm just doing my job. And personally, the only way things are gonna change is by action, not by complaining about the stuff you don't like.

epcotWSC

I hope more good comes out of this than anything else. Maybe some of the penny pinchers with no vision in power will be dropped and some people with vision and are willing to spend some money to accomplish long term goals will step up. I know that's asking for a lot in today's world though (since that kind of vision in most of today's big companies is long gone). Unfortunately unless you find someone who's a kid at heart to run the parks, it'll be hard to really get a top notch person in there.

On the other topic, I personally think Gator is selfish. If you don't want to work there, then quit. I assure you that as an hourly part-time employee you will not get much of anything at all from the company if you are laid off.
Don't wish layoffs on people in your position just so there's a chance that you may be affected, that's just wrong. Layoffs are never a good thing to go through for people who want their job. Plus, you may not be the one let go, it could be someone who actually wants their job and I'm sure if something like this happens, even if you are let go, people who love their job at WDW will be given their pink slips as well.

Personally I like the way Disney is doing their layoffs at this point. They seem to understand that the lower level employees (CMs and such) are the face of their product and should be the last ones laid off. If they do layoff CMs I would hope that it would be after heavy evaluations to ensure it's those who do not enhance the guest experience.

Computer Magic

You are right.

It will be a tough balance it looks like. On the other hand...generic park merchandising aside, the prospect of less resort unique attracts may be apealling to folks that can't get to both resorts regularly.
I live for the resort unique merchandising. I like to show off the resort I went to. It shows there is more to Disney then Theme Parks. For us, resorts is a huge deal. The last trip in 08 was very disappointing for resort merchandise. It was all DVC or Disney crap...

But what does Disney care, they have yearly funds from DVC that is locked into a 50 year contract.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom